Quantcast

Mammoth Front Tires

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
What tires are you DH/FR guys running with luck at Mammoth?

My AS-X with a 66RC2X currently has Nevegals 2.5 front and 2.35 rear.

I was thinking a 2.7 Nevegal or Blue Groove for the front and move the 2.5 to the back. What do you think?

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
I tried a 2.5 maxxis in the front a couple weekends ago and flipped over to a 2.7 to try to deal with the kitty litter, helped a bit.

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
currently has Nevegals 2.5 front and 2.35 rear.
For me at a 160lbs, that would be the preferred set-up. This year I was on a 2.7 MinnionF(similar in size as the 2.5 Nev.) and a 2.35 Ignitor. No matter what tire set-up you're running in Mammoth, the first few runs are going to feel like turds... you are going to try and find something to blame. Be patient; your timing, weighting, braking, etc... all have to adapt to the terrain. Then, once yer balls drop and you've put in a good day on the hill, you can spend that "tire money" at the Yodeller buying everybody a round of swill...

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
First off, you must understand the proper conjugation to even enter a sentance into a translator...If not you will end up with improper spanish jibber jabber
Consiga 3.0 que la piedra pómez aspira, está eso mejor, perra
You said:
"Get 3.0 the pumice aspires, it's better, bitch". :twitch:

I'm guessing you were trying to say:
"Consigue una llanta 3.0, la piedra es orible".

Good try.:clapping: :clapping:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
My Chunders worked better than my High Rollers. The Chunders, a claimed 2.3, are the same size as my HR 2.5s were.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
The Nevegals you have will work very well on that "dirt".

I've used Hutchinson Ocotupusses and loved em there.

I wouldn't recommend Minion F's as I don't feel it's an ideal loose condition tire (still better than most though). You can cut the back half off the non-sniped center knobs so they penetrate a little more for braking traction.

The BEST tire combo there is a Michelin comp32 (2.8) and a comp24 (2.5 - cut) combo. I ran those there a couple of weeks ago and was really, really pleased with their predictability, traction and consistency.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
The BEST tire combo there is a Michelin comp32 (2.8) and a comp24 (2.5 - cut) combo. I ran those there a couple of weeks ago and was really, really pleased with their predictability, traction and consistency.
That's EXACTLY the combo I ran there a few weeks ago, but tubeless with Stans and about 15 psi front and 22 rear on the original wide Mavic D321 hoops. The traction and float was freaking amazing - I love Mammoth kitty litter! Wish we had the same stuff here in SoCal.

XRT_SquallJt

Chimp
Apr 1, 2005
DummKopf, Sprechen deutsch!!! Ich bin Oushlander und sprechen nicht gut deutsch!!!..., German 1 is fun, and all of you stop speaking spanish, was ist das??? This is a mountain biking site, not a language forum o_O