Quantcast

mammoth opening

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
June 25th I think. This is all unofficial info so dont go by it too much. Mammoth skiing ends July 4-5... Depending on skier numbers. Mountain Biking
starts June 25. We are going to blow the snow on the trails needed. Only
on the lower hill (Mid Chalet and below) and towards Canyon Lodge leaving
Main Lodge alone to allow ski back to ML till July 5. We are losing almost a
foot a day in exception to today (cold). Uptown is still buried above the
maintenance garage and below is somewhat dry of drifts. Again it is melting
fast.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Hey Merrrjig, you said "we" a lot in your post. Do you work at Mammoth?
Just wondering. Anyway, I sure had fun there last year and can't wait to go back.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
ncrider said:
Hey Merrrjig, you said "we" a lot in your post. Do you work at Mammoth?
Just wondering. Anyway, I sure had fun there last year and can't wait to go back.
Let me know when you do, I'll head out there with ya. I am really stoked on all the riding I am planning on doing this summer.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Ciaran said:
Let me know when you do, I'll head out there with ya. I am really stoked on all the riding I am planning on doing this summer.
you got it. i saw a special on their website. Two nights hotel and bike park passes for two, starting at $59 each. That so good.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Um, the two lane road up to Mammoth is scary enough when I drive, so how bout you can sit shot gun and I'll drive your pathfinder through there and you can drive through the Socal freeways. Deal.

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
ncrider said:
Um, the two lane road up to Mammoth is scary enough when I drive, so how bout you can sit shot gun and I'll drive your pathfinder through there and you can drive through the Socal freeways. Deal.
haha I gotta get a new bike so I can go to mammoth! I'm not gonna be able to ride soon, cause my giant nrs, has just about had enough of my thrashing on it! **** I need all kinds of new parts for it, derailleur hanger, derailleur, rear tire, cranks, bottom bracket, chainring, chainguide... dammit, I give up. I'm not buying any more parts for that bike. I'm gonna build up a Sinister R9 for the Nationals and hopefully I can go to the world cup at Angelfire, NM in October.

BillT

Monkey
There's a bunch of us from Florida hitting up Mammoth in mid-August. I've been there 3 times in the past and have had more fun each time I went. If you are heading there, be sure to leave some time to hit Lower Rock Creek just outside of Mammoth.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
BillT said:
There's a bunch of us from Florida hitting up Mammoth in mid-August. I've been there 3 times in the past and have had more fun each time I went. If you are heading there, be sure to leave some time to hit Lower Rock Creek just outside of Mammoth.
:stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

I am in that "Bunch" :thumb:

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
BillT said:
Pm me the direction please.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
oh, thanks. That sounds like a supper fun spot to get out of the car, stretch the legs and get a warmup shuttle/ride in before checking into a room for a few days of lift riding.

BillT

Monkey
Lower Rock Creek is about 20 miles outside of Mammoth (its between Mammoth and Bishop) right off of 395. You can ask any bike shop in Mammoth and they can give you detailed directions, but it is literally 100 yards off the highway.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Yeah, I think I've actually been close to the trail. There is a big gorge in that area that has excellent sport climbing. I used to rock climb a lot before mountain biking. Anyway, it sounds like the same area.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
So gettin back to Mammoth. Has anybody here hit the big drop on Chain Smoke. I remeber it being pretty big and the landing is that soft pumice soil. I took a look at it last year, but the locals were saying the landing was too soft and I'd go over the bars.

Also does anybody know if they will be expanding their "x-zones"?

BillT

Monkey
Chainsmoke wasn't open (yet on the map back then) the last time I was there almost 3 years ago, but I am looking forward to hitting that one on this trip. I remember hitting the jump right at the begining of the lower part of Velocity (right by the mid-mountain stop) and almost going over the bars when landing because the of the soft pumice.

I hope they expand and maintain those x-zones as they are great ideas and couple of them were pretty fun - particularly the one off of Beach Cruiser and the one towards the end of the Kamikaze.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
ncrider said:
So gettin back to Mammoth. Has anybody here hit the big drop on Chain Smoke. I remeber it being pretty big and the landing is that soft pumice soil. I took a look at it last year, but the locals were saying the landing was too soft and I'd go over the bars.

Also does anybody know if they will be expanding their "x-zones"?

Rumor had it they were going to expand them with some help from the whislter guys. If you taking about the drop at the water fall I tried it once last year and ate Sh$t, to pumicy and flat for me to pull it off, plus the approach is kinda sketch i thought.

BillT

Monkey
I believe Intrawest (same people that own/run Whistler) are a minority partner with Mammoth but I could be mistaken. I know that Mammoth would have more built structures if it wasn't for the fact that they lease the land from the Department of Forestry and they don't want that stuff there.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
I saw many people hit the chainsmoke waterfall drop. I was course mashell for the drop. Its pretty crazy cuz theres not that good of a landing. Oh ya that was for the mammoth national. I think we will be heading up the sunday b4 4th of july and riding a day or 2 then heading up to north* and doing the race up there. I cant wait!

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
merrrrjig said:
I saw many people hit the chainsmoke waterfall drop. I was course mashell for the drop. Its pretty crazy cuz theres not that good of a landing. Oh ya that was for the mammoth national. I think we will be heading up the sunday b4 4th of july and riding a day or 2 then heading up to north* and doing the race up there. I cant wait!

Yeah it's a bad landing, much better to hit the other side of it than the drop, at least if your trying to win that is.

Jun 8, 2005
irvine CA
ya u r right they do work togeather with intrawest. my friend works for mammoth and always flys to whistler to talk with them. so ya we can see improvements if the guys from whistler come down

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Oh many how cool would it be if the guys at Whistler decided to capture more of the Socal market and built some new stuff at Mammoth. It would be a smart business move on there part. Well, time will tell. Imagine downtown or beach cruiser turned into A-line. :drool:

mealsonwheels

Monkey
Jan 16, 2003
San Diego
ncrider said:
Yeah, I think I've actually been close to the trail. There is a big gorge in that area that has excellent sport climbing. I used to rock climb a lot before mountain biking. Anyway, it sounds like the same area.
Owen's River Gorge? That place is fun, but I used to prefer Happy Boulders. Tear up your hands like something fierce, but really fun roofs. I sold off all my pro to get into mtn biking years ago and I don't regret it, but I'm starting to climb once a month again. It's great to get back out on the rock.

Is the trailhead near the Tom's Place exit?

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
ncrider said:
you got it. i saw a special on their website. Two nights hotel and bike park passes for two, starting at $59 each. That so good.
Could you tell me more about this special? Where do I find more info about it?
:help: