Quantcast

Mammoth questions

jimw

Monkey
Aug 10, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
So, I broke my collarbone at Whistler 5 weeks ago. Naturally, this was on the first day of the week-long Whistler/North Shore/Oregon big-bike expedition.

Doh! At least it was at the *end* of the first day...

After 4 weeks of no riding, I went out last week and got in a few rides, including hitting the local jump trail and a 25-mile XC jaunt. It's feeling pretty good (uh, as long as I don't fall...), so I'm thinking about checking out Mammoth this weekend before they close for the season. I'm jonesing to get in at least a couple more lift-accessed days this year.

I've never ridden at Mammoth, so I was wondering if anyone who has ridden there has any recommendations on must-do trails? Also, would I be better off bringing the 5" Enduro or the big-ass Demo 9?

On a side topic, anyone have any recommendations for upper body armor that protects the collarbone? My Rockgardn Flak Jacket has nothing there.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Another vote for the demo, I can't think of any armor that covers the collar bone area. I really like Bullet, Flow, The rocky section of Skid Marks near the top, Seven Bridges and the big ol log ride on shotgun.... guess which side of the mountain I stay on most.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
If you really need something to cover your collarbone, check out the Casel-Equi armor. It's a bit bulky, but it's light and comfortable, and much easier on/off than other styles.

That is, if they still even make bike armor...couldn't find much on a google search. yodobike.com used to distribute it, but apparently no longer. (Casel-equi is primarily a rodeo armor company...)