Quantcast

Mammoth update

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Mammoth said:
Trail Report - Last Updated: Jul 14, 2005 3:33 PM

Mammoth Mountain Bike Park is open from top to bottom with the following trails:
Uptown

Downtown

Paper Route

Timber Ridge

Juniper

Big Ring

Shot Gun

Lower Bullet

Lakes Trail

Off the Top

Kamikaze

Velocity

The following trails are expected to open this weekend: Bridge the Gap, Brake Through, Bullet, Trail Home and Chain Smoke.

Uphill access is available via the Bike Park Shuttle, which runs between the Village and the Adventure Center from 9:30am to 5:30pm and Panorama Gondola, which is now open to mountain bikers with limited trail access.

Bike Park hours of operation: 8am to 6pm daily.

Look for the Grand Opening on Kamikaze Park and Flow on July 22! And Pipeline soon to follow.

Scenic Gondola Rides are available from 9am to 4:30pm daily.

Have fun and be safe!

So whos down for the first or second weekend of August? All the trails should be open and some of the new ones as well. Oh and mammoth is doing a "Freeride Camp" this year.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
ncrider said:
So whos down for the first or second weekend of August? All the trails should be open and some of the new ones as well. Oh and mammoth is doing a "Freeride Camp" this year.
Myself, BillT and some other folks from places flatter will be there the 3rd week in August!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
ncrider said:
I'll have to check the calendar but I think this may be do-able... and N* after that during one of the last two weekends in Aug.

merrrrjig

Turbo Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Mammoth Lakes, Ca
I might be down for the 3rd weekend in august, not the 2nd one though, cuz I think I will be over driving. Trip odometer for the road trip so far: 3100 miles!!

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
merrrrjig said:
I might be down for the 3rd weekend in august, not the 2nd one though, cuz I think I will be over driving. Trip odometer for the road trip so far: 3100 miles!!
Go get your oil changed.

It tagged 90 there this week!! Unreal. It doesn't usually get that warm, and wouldn't have been that hot on top of the mountain. If you go to their website, you can use the webcams and see the temperatures at various points on the mountain to get an idea of what's up.

I bet some trails melted out, real nice...

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have to talk to my freind to see if he can take me because my parents are going to monterey. WHere are the best rentals? Is the mountain the cheapest. I want something with 7 or 8 ".

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
mtnbrider said:
I have to talk to my freind to see if he can take me because my parents are going to monterey. WHere are the best rentals? Is the mountain the cheapest. I want something with 7 or 8 ".
The mountain doesn't rent anything like what you are looking for. There is one rental shop in town on the main street on the left hand side as you are going up to the mountain that I have had good luck with, aswell as one other one on some side street that I don't remember how to get to.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I want a vp free. my friend has been at his moms house for 2 weeks, I kept callling but he was never home. His cell phone was taken away because he lost his lasts one. Finnally he called from his dads, I called him back but he wasn't home. Phone tag sucks!!

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
Like I said, I am good to go, but I would like to carpool with someone (Riverside, CA) if at all possible - Mammoth is a bitch of a drive, and I can only go solo in my car, unless someone breaks down their bike. Anyone available (read: conrad)? I can provide plenty of dough for housing/gas.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Snowboarding is awsome too there. A few months ago, i went up with my friend. At the last 30min before we left Mammoth, we found the best run. Its not really a run, its a hill. Do you know where philipes is, the big rock on the right side of mammoth. Under it is a fireroad like trail called road runner maybe. If you drop in off that below the rock, you ride down the hill and there are a bunch of fun 7" drops into full powder. from there you head toward the two lifts down in that corner of the mountain.

I bet that place would be fun on a bike.
I have only ridden at whistler. Can you go off trail at Mammoth?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
blt2ride said:
I went up there last weekend, and had a great time! The new "Flow" trail is a lot of fun...that wood drop is the sh#t.
What kind of bike were you riding?

IntenseR3

Chimp
May 26, 2005
Balboa Island
Would a day trip to Mammoth be worth it and/or possible from Newport Beach?

If so, would anyone be interested in going this Saturday? I would drive in exchange for some (1/2) gas money.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
IntenseR3 said:
Would a day trip to Mammoth be worth it and/or possible from Newport Beach?

If so, would anyone be interested in going this Saturday? I would drive in exchange for some (1/2) gas money.
Might be tough. That's a long drive. Maybe if you drove friday night, slept in the parking lot and rode saturday, then came home sat night.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
What do you think about me bringing my evo hardtail with a 5" fork and 2.35hi rollers .? Would that be terrible to ride because its sooo rocky. MY friend has a scott hi octane (9.5"). It would probably be hard to keep up with him going a fun speed or he would have to go slow ( which would mean he would always be on his brakes).

I am trying to get a fs 7" bike, but we don't have alot of money right now.

BillT

Monkey
Many of the trails from the main lodge down are pretty smooth so a hardtail won't be so bad, but several of the upper mountain trails like Skid Marks are pretty rocky which may slow you down. There are plenty of quality rentals if you decide to go that route - the mountain has Rocky Mountain Flows and Switchs, Footloose has a variety of Specialized (Enduro's and Demo 8's) and Santa Cruz products (VPFree's, Bullit's, etc) and I'm sure Mammoth Sporting Goods has some quality rentals as well.