Quantcast

Man Died After Ducking Flying Shrimp

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Family: Man Died After Ducking Flying Shrimp

MINEOLA, N.Y. -- A shrimp a hibachi chef tossed at a man eating at a Japanese steakhouse ultimately led to the diner's death, his family claims in a $10 million wrongful death lawsuit against the restaurant chain Benihana.

Jerry Colaitis wrenched his neck when he ducked to avoid the shrimp in the chain's Munsey Park restaurant, attorney Andre Ferenzo said in opening statements Wednesday.

Months after the January 2001 incident, the 43-year-old Long Island man died from complications caused by neck surgery he required afterward, the lawyer said.

Benihana lawyer Charles Connick said it was unlikely a chef who works for tips would toss food at customers after being asked not to, as Ferenzo claimed. Even if that happened, Connick added, the cause of Colaitis' death was an infection or neck injury unrelated to the shrimp.

Benihana chefs mix dining with entertainment as they grill Japanese food in front of patrons. Ferenzo said some of them have become more daring in recent years, but Connick said customers enjoy the experience.

"Some customers, especially dads and sons, want to catch the food," Connick said. "The evidence will show that it was part of the show."

Colaitis, of Old Brookville, underwent neck surgery in June 2001, but there were complications, and he had numbness in his arm, Ferenzo said. He died that November, a day after checking into a hospital with a 105-degree fever.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
My wife just said that maybe the guy should not have been a wimp and ducked the shrimp.

Personally I think it's time to put an end to these violent and dangerous dinner shows. They're dangerous to chef and diner alike and no one ever stops to think of the shrimp.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I'm a bit disappointed N8 that you didn't link to the story about the man in Australia who broke his leg kicking a spider. Now that's news.