Quantcast

Man, ebay cracks me up!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So I bought a set of brake levers last week for $12.99 BIN off ebay. I ended upi repairing the ones I had, so i figured I'd sell the ones I bought. Rather than start the bidding at $11.99 like the guy I bought them from (who has another set on there as well), I started it at $7.99 and figured I get something out of them.

They sold for $14! The guy I bought them from has a set RIGHT NOW for $12.99 BIN! I guess I will never understand people on ebay.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Some things don't sell worth a damn though. It's just funny when I even used the images form the auction I bought the levers from.

I'm a cheap bastard and won't pay too much.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
robdamanii said:
Nah, it's a marketplace for idiots to shop in. That's what I meant.
assuming you don't think you yourself is an idiot, have you never bought anything on ebay?

there are good deals to be had, you just need patience, good timing, and luck (depending on what you are buying; i mainly buy music but have scored two good bikes off ebay).

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
narlus said:
assuming you don't think you yourself is an idiot, have you never bought anything on ebay?

there are good deals to be had, you just need patience, good timing, and luck (depending on what you are buying; i mainly buy music but have scored two good bikes off ebay).
Who needs all that when you can use an agent to do the work for you? ;)

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
narlus said:

Exactly my point. The things I've bought have been good deals, and well below MSRP. I don't just bid for the sake of bidding just to buy something. I have no problem waiting to buy something if I don't get it for the price I want.

That being said, there are plenty of idiots who will pay actually MORE than retail in a store on ebay if you describe it well enough.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I've scored TONS of good deals on ebay. It used to be that almost eveything was a good deal. I've since learned to cross check what online retailers are selling the same item for and also pay close attention to shipping costs, especially on electronics.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
here's a great example of a good deal on ebay...i am looking @ various camera bags, and one i was interested was at a local shop in tax-free NH. that bag was priced @ $120, where i can find the same exact bag for $75 + shipping (~$15), so i save 25%.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I bought a Stinky 9 frame on ebay a little over a year ago, rode it a little bit cracked the headtube lenghwise. Listed it with full pictures and a big warning that said RIDING THIS BIKE WILL CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH, DISPLAY ONLY. Anyway I ended up getting $110 more than I payed for it. I do love ebay for that reason as well as others.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
My brother routinely sells sets of Snow Goose decoys on e-bay as he upgrades/changes his decoy spread and more often than not he sells them for more than they can be purchased retail. I have no idea what people are thinking or doing when they do this.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
jimmydean said:
So I bought a set of brake levers last week for $12.99 BIN off ebay. I ended upi repairing the ones I had, so i figured I'd sell the ones I bought. Rather than start the bidding at $11.99 like the guy I bought them from (who has another set on there as well), I started it at $7.99 and figured I get something out of them.

They sold for $14! The guy I bought them from has a set RIGHT NOW for $12.99 BIN! I guess I will never understand people on ebay.

Man i seem to remember a thread about the Moral implications of that!!! Dude score on the money made. As far as the other guy having a BiN for less than your sold for. thats the glory of time posting and people not taking the time to look further before upping there bid!!!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
it's got to have something to do with the internet...information travels so quickly that you can't possibly keep up with all the constantly changing prices...and sometimes sucking up an extra couple bucks for a good seller is worth the giant question mark that the internet provides...

just some random thoughts. How can you say ebay is one way or the other when is changes so much...i probably can't sell the car i just bought for what I paid for it one ebay, but I could probably sell the car I sold last week for double....

the intarweb is messed up.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
buildyourown said:
I've scored TONS of good deals on ebay. It used to be that almost eveything was a good deal. I've since learned to cross check what online retailers are selling the same item for and also pay close attention to shipping costs, especially on electronics.
It's a good place for machine tooling and people almost give away carbide inserts. I'm looking at a nice Brown and Sharpe screw machine right now. shipping will rightfully so be high o that one. lol

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
coming from NYC there are a lot of things we have accesable at our fingertips... someone from buttcrack idaho doesnt have the same resourses.. thats were money is made.. the ppl from idaho can search and get anything
idaho ppl are a little nutty