Quantcast

Man has it really been 22 years?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
5:01 PM Oct 17th, 1989 Loma Preita Earthquake
http://pubs.usgs.gov/dds/dds-29/

I was in Pizza My Heart Capitola, Shift Change. We were a couple of miles from the epicenter in a wooden building on wood pilings built on beach sand. The Capitola Esplanade area and the Marina District in SF experienced Liquifation and the most severe ground movement in the bay area. I will never forget the 1000# 500* pizza ovens with their doors slamming open and shut in unison and seeing the door jams go from 90* bends to 60* and then snap back, over and over for about 30 seconds while all the folded pizza boxes rained down on to us from the shelves

no power for over a week, it took days before the news filtered out to us about the bay bridge and the cypress structure.

how about the rest of you west coasters and old farts that saw it on the tube

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Same year I started MTBing.

My family was watching the World Series at my grandparents' house in Miami but I didn't pay attention until the quake. I visited my uncle near San Francisco a few months later and saw the collapsed freeway.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I was playing football when it happened down here in socal, I remember feeling it, then seeing it on the news later that night..... amazing what mother nature can do to us in the blink of an eye

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
I live in NYC now and had to laugh at the over reactions to our recent earth quake event in August. Now 1989 Loma Preita Earthquake, now that was an earthquake. I was in a Safeway supermarket when the earth moved under my feet, and everything on the shelves started falling off.

JLStout

Chimp
Mar 12, 2010
Redding Ca
I was in the Navy stationed at Alameda. Driving over to SF, just got off of the underneath part of 880 before it collapsed.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I was at the local park on a field surrounded by redwoods. I remember watching them all sway. After it stopped, we were walking back home with giant cracks in the pavement 30+ ft deep. At home all of the cabinets were open and all of the dishes were on the floor. The fridge also moved a few feet away from the wall. We lived in a 3 story house and I remember all that night the whole house was swaying from the aftershocks. Crazy how well I remember it, especially since I was only 4.