Quantcast

Man Upset by Taco Bell Beefy Crunch Burrito Price goes bezerk and pulls gun...

CurbJumper

Turbo Monkey
Aug 31, 2010
Central FL
Man Upset by Taco Bell Beefy Crunch Burrito Price goes bezerk and pulls gun...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/article/The-Beefy-Crunch-Burrito-incident-1226571.php#ixzz1HEm3lY3H

The price of the Beefy Crunch Burrito had gone up from 99 cents to $1.49 and the man at the Rigsby Road Taco Bell drive-thru had just ordered seven.
The fast food customer was so disgruntled by the price hike he shot an air gun at the manager, displayed a semiautomatic assault rifle and pistol while in the restaurant's parking lot, fled as police were called, exchanged gunfire with three officers who pulled him over, then barricaded himself in his hotel room — all over $3.50 plus additional tax.
The final incident in the burrito-triggered spree happened Sunday afternoon at the Rodeway Inn on North W.W. White Road, engaging SWAT negotiators in a more than three-hour standoff, according to officials and witnesses.
The man, whose name was not released because he had not been charged, faces three attempted capital murder charges for the exchange of gunfire with police plus possible other charges, said police spokesman Sgt. Chris Benavides. No one was injured in the incident.
The suspect was taken into custody about 6:45 p.m. Sunday after officials used tear gas to get him out of the motel room where he was staying. Police recovered the rifle and two handguns, Benavides said.
It all began about four hours earlier when the man put in his order at the Taco Bell/KFC two-for-one restaurant in the 5300 block of Rigsby Road on the city's East Side.
Restaurant manager Brian Tillerson, 41, said his employees told him a customer was upset about the price of the Beefy Crunch Burrito.
“They did use to be 99 cents, but that was just a promotion,” Tillerson said. “He pointed a gun at me, and he fired it. I leaned to the side and there was a pop but nothing happened.”
Tillerson said the police later found a BB, but the following five minutes “were pretty crazy,” he said.
Looking out the windows, he said he saw the man put an assault rifle and a handgun on the roof of his Mitsubishi Eclipse. Customers dove under their tables, the employees scrambled to the back and Tillerson ran to the front to lock the doors as he called police.
The man then jumped into his vehicle and took off, Tillerson said.
Fewer than two miles away, at W.W. White Road and Hershey Drive, officers spotted the suspect and three patrol units pulled over the car, Benavides said. As the officers got out of their cars, the man got out of his car carrying the assault rifle in his hands and pointing it at the officers.
Both sides began firing, Benavides said, but no one was hit. However, one of the windshields on a patrol car was shattered.
From there, the man sped off to the Rodeway Inn in the 200 block of North W.W. White Road just a few blocks away from Interstate 10.
It was about 3 p.m., and the man refused to come out.
Sharpshooters climbed up on the roof of the Sky Line Food Mart next to the motel. Police blocked off W.W. White in both directions. They evacuated some nearby businesses and some of the rooms in the motel.
Through a megaphone the negotiator could be heard telling the man to pick up the phone.
“No one needs to get hurt,” the negotiator said.
Around 6:30 p.m., and without a reply from the man inside, SWAT used tear gas to clear the room, Benavides said. The man came out without incident.
Tillerson, calm and back at work after giving a statement to police, said after hearing that the customer shot at officers he was even more relieved he didn't get into his restaurant.
“The weird thing is,” Tillerson said, “He was here a week ago around the same time last Sunday. He yelled at me then too.”

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If Wendys up's the price of it's Dollar Menu. The headline will read "Rochester Man takes out entire eastside of a City, Giant crater jams traffic up for hours and can be seen from Space"....

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
justified-taco bell had it coming
What a nut bag! :tinfoil:

But I understand what the guy feels like. Taco bell use to charge $1.72 for a Gordita Crunch on promotion every spring. It's up to the LTBS owner, (new RM term) Local Taco Bell Store, but you can order ANY "promotional" item any time even when it's off the menu. My LTBS would sell it to me for $1.79. It was a good deal and I'd buy 2 or 3 at that price! That was till new management came in. Now they want $2.79. :shakefist:

Obviously I no longer eat the Gordita Crunch outside of promotion. :( But boy were they good!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
He must be used to having taco bell food thrown at him
Would love to try it but we don't get it in OZ, however I have eaten 3 5th Avenue bars today and I'm pretty sure I'm about to die, how do people eat this sugary fatty crap on a daily basis?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
There is a Wendy's near me that never honors any of the TV add promos. I see that crap on TV and say, "hey that's a good deal" then I remember.

I know what I have to do now.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Guees he doesn't know about the amazing powers of www.yelp.com .
I doubt Taco Bell is bothered by Yelp ratings.

<edit> :rofl: 5 star 'Bell near me!
If I had to choose only one restaurant to eat at - I'd choose Taco Bell. This particular Bell has quick, efficient service. I've been there many, many times and have yet to have an incomplete order. And to top it all off, they know the proper way to make a Mexi-melt (not too much meat, a healthy balance of cheese, and just the right amount of pico). A recent remodel makes this Bell good for dine-in as well.
<edit2> Wow, that's a cool story, bro.
After a night of drunken debauchery around PDX, my buddy and I wanted our "4th meal" since Taco Bell's are open 'til 4am. The plan was to get it on the way home and eat it at my place. Oh boy were we excited. Not because Taco Bell is so great--it actually isn't and I don't even like it--but because we were drunk and hungry! And we all know that everything tastes good when you're in this state. So, Taco Bell it was.

After hopping off the freeway we make our way down the 99 to the Taco Bell. Guess what? They're closed?! Are you kidding me? Even though the lights were off we still drove through the drive-thru because we couldn't believe it! I've never seen a Taco Bell closed at 2:30am! Ever! Boo on you TB! 1-star only because yelp won't let me give you a negative 1-star =/

So we drove across the street and got McRib combos from the old faithful, McDonald's LOL

Last edited: