Quantcast

Manimal's "Things that piss off cops" thread

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I've been wanting to start this thread for a while but just now had the time and motivation. I want to make a continuing list of little quirks that people do/say when i'm at work that either annoy the hell out of me or plain 'ole piss me off.

feel free to use this as a guide for those awkward times when you're in contact with the law, be it socially at the store, on the road or when you need assistance.

1. If you see a cop car in your mirror and you're in the left lane....MOVE OVER! ESPECIALLY WHEN THE LIGHTS/SIRENS ARE ON. ("see the lights, move to the RIGHT!!!") one of the most frustrating/annoying things that people do is slow down to below the speed limit when a cop gets in behind them. more than likely, we're not going to pull you over, we just want to get by. if you move over and the cop follows you...then he/she was behind you for a reason.

2. If you see a cop in the mall/store/gas station...wherever; don't bring your kids up to us and say, "see, if you act up he'll take you to jail". gee thanks dude...now your kid is afraid of cops. i know it may seem like you're the first person to ever say, "look officer! here she is! i know you've been looking for her (his wife)"......but you're not. we hear it EVERYDAY and the courtesy smile and laugh gets harder to do every time.

3. I don't care if your brother-in-law is a cop. If you're standing next to me in line at the burrito place and feel like you have to make small talk, then use the traditionally acceptable conversation starters, ie: how's the weather, glad it's friday, etc. The "do you know officer ____? ....he's my sisters' ex-fiance's brother's cousin....." gets really annoying.

4. If you are pulled over and you do happen to know someone on the police force, don't mention it (unless the cop is direct relative (mom,dad,spouse). if you get a ticket, talk your cop friend and see if they can help you out; dropping the "i know officer ____" trick usually has the opposite effect that you were intending.

5. If you see some cops eating lunch don't interrupt for a stupid loaded question that leads to the story of how your sister was arrested for running a meth lab and you want to know what she can do to get out of jail. now if you're walking by and just want to say hi or appease your kids curiosity that's absolutely cool. we understand that we stand out in public, especially to kids and most of us are more than happy to spend time chatting with the youngin's as long as it doesn't turn into the situation in #2.
also, if there are 4 or 5 cops eating together, they're probably not on regular duty (court or training), so don't make the joking comment of "so who's protecting the city".

that's all i can think of for now but i know there are a lot more that i've dealt with so i'll post them as i remember them.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Detectives don't like being called out in public when hitting on 18 year olds.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
how about "you gonna finish that donut?" :D

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
#420 When pulled over for speeding and the cop asks you for lisence and registration don't say "Hold up, I wanna finish my joint"

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I can appreciate those peeves.

Here's a question though: It is normal for a police cruiser to speed (really speed) without the lights flashing? I see it around here all the time, and it bugs me. Lead by example, that what I say...

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB

Here's a question though: It is normal for a police cruiser to speed (really speed) without the lights flashing? I see it around here all the time, and it bugs me. Lead by example, that what I say...
It seems I remember a cop (maybe it was Manimal?) mention that sometimes when they're called out, they aren't supposed to run lights/sirens while enroute. Like for a domestics or similar they can't run full sirens, but they generally try and get there quick-like.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
1. If you see a cop car in your mirror and you're in the left lane....MOVE OVER! ESPECIALLY WHEN THE LIGHTS/SIRENS ARE ON. ("see the lights, move to the RIGHT!!!") one of the most frustrating/annoying things that people do is slow down to below the speed limit when a cop gets in behind them. more than likely, we're not going to pull you over, we just want to get by. if you move over and the cop follows you...then he/she was behind you for a reason.

Luckily I do none of these. I just use my james bond smoke screen and maintain speed. Everyone seems to enjoy it.

2. If you see a cop in the mall/store/gas station...wherever; don't bring your kids up to us and say, "see, if you act up he'll take you to jail". gee thanks dude...now your kid is afraid of cops. i know it may seem like you're the first person to ever say, "look officer! here she is! i know you've been looking for her (his wife)"......but you're not. we hear it EVERYDAY and the courtesy smile and laugh gets harder to do every time.

A simple arrest for cop harassment is in order. What's the point of power if you don't abuse it? Some mistakes need only be made once. Draw the sidearm. Make some memories.

3. I don't care if your brother-in-law is a cop. If you're standing next to me in line at the burrito place and feel like you have to make small talk, then use the traditionally acceptable conversation starters, ie: how's the weather, glad it's friday, etc. The "do you know officer ____? ....he's my sisters' ex-fiance's brother's cousin....." gets really annoying.

The only thing I've ever felt compelled to say is complimenting you guys on your uniforms. Do you clean them hourly? It looks like it.

4. If you are pulled over and you do happen to know someone on the police force, don't mention it (unless the cop is direct relative (mom,dad,spouse). if you get a ticket, talk your cop friend and see if they can help you out; dropping the "i know officer ____" trick usually has the opposite effect that you were intending.

Fvck that petty crap. I know batman.

5. If you see some cops eating lunch don't interrupt for a stupid loaded question that leads to the story of how your sister was arrested for running a meth lab and you want to know what she can do to get out of jail. now if you're walking by and just want to say hi or appease your kids curiosity that's absolutely cool. we understand that we stand out in public, especially to kids and most of us are more than happy to spend time chatting with the youngin's as long as it doesn't turn into the situation in #2.
also, if there are 4 or 5 cops eating together, they're probably not on regular duty (court or training), so don't make the joking comment of "so who's protecting the city".

I just got back from burning man where cops park out in the open playa (lakebed) with their lights off looking for stupidity. A buddy of mine had brought out a bunch of krispy kremes so I rode my bike out there and gave them some. Were they appreciated you think?

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
Theres always a group of cops, in the SAME EXACT place every Friday night here. After the downtown mall is duty is over they all meet up. So tonight I'm going to 7Eleven and buying 4 coffees, and see what I can get myself into. :biggrin:

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
OH I've been meaning to ask a cop this question. Can you really pull a young driver, 16 and 3 months that hasn't had their license for 1 year, and is carrying more than 1 passenger? Or is that ONLY a second offense, like you have to pull them over for speeding/wreckless driving, and then give them the ticket for that, AND the carrying more than 1 passenger.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005

staties in mass will just cruise in the fast lane at 80-90 mph usually. the unmarked ones(impala, taurus, etc.) are the ones that drive slow to catch the speeders. i have noticed that for the most part the cops around here don't care what speed you are going around here as long as you keep it under 80. of course that always depends on traffic/weather condition. i've been cruising behind a statie before at 80 and he was gaining distance on me at a pretty good rate.

Aug 31, 2006
last night on the way home from work, an ambulance and firetruck were responding to a car accident (on Colorado & 8th for locals)... some people just fvcking stopped where they were... some were in the middle lane, some in the left lane. Yes, they blocked the fvcking road, ambulance went over the median.

Stupid people.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
thank you Manimal for this list... It will help me the next time I have a group of Police officers surrounding me, as my neighbor gets arrested for growing illegal crops!:biggrin:

Jeronimo

Monkey
Jul 11, 2006
behind that boulder
You're in North Carolina. NC is the only place I've lived where people will not pull over for emergency vehicles, but completely clear the road for a funeral procession. It's something that still amazes me because the funeral doesn't really need to be in a hurry.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
#420 When pulled over for speeding and the cop asks you for lisence and registration don't say "Hold up, I wanna finish my joint"

Would it be appropriate to offer the officer a toke as he looks stressed out & grumpy?

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
last night on the way home from work, an ambulance and firetruck were responding to a car accident (on Colorado & 8th for locals)... some people just fvcking stopped where they were... some were in the middle lane, some in the left lane. Yes, they blocked the fvcking road, ambulance went over the median.

Stupid people.
I saw something similar just yesterday. The only problem is that the people did pull over to the right side and stop, which is WA state law. As it turns out, that's exactly where the ambulance was trying to get; I looked over and a guy was down on the sidewalk with blood all around, and people ushering the paramedics in their direction. There was a whole line of cars blocking the ambulance, leading to a mass of confusion.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I agree with getting over to the right..as far as dropping names it depends on whose name you drop.. a big enough name gets me off all the time

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My daughter has been taught that cops are like fire fighters. They are there to help you if you need it, but you may not be happy with the result :D

She waves at cops and firemen.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
When we were working in Tower Records a long time ago, a friend of mine asked a motorcycle cop if he could try on his helmet. My friend immediately regretted asking the cop as he put on the cop's sweat filled stinky helmet. The look on his face was priceless as I saw the helmet go over his head.

He took it right off, and gave it back to the cop going "It's hot out there huh?". The cop just started laughing.

My friend's head was soaked with the cop's sweat. Hair all matted down and stuff.

haha I'm laughing about it now. The look on his face...priceless...

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
6. If you get caught doing something wrong....don't pull the polish hostage gambit. It p*ssed off one of the officers I work with so bad he beaned the suspect in the chest with a fire extingusher, and then beat him like a red head stepchild, while he was incapacitated.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Thanks for the tips. The only interaction I have had with cops was when two squad cars were sent to break up our 4 person wiffle ball game...The look on their faces when they found that is what they were called out for was priceless lol.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Alot of people are inept at making quick decisions behind the wheel. i always hate to see people slow way down for ambulances and/or firetrucks too. Alot of dumb people, get the F out of the way, somebody needs real help, just as much as you need to get a clue.

Aug 31, 2006
here's a suggestion for you cops...

I'm going to go ballistic if one more of y'all pull me over, walk over to my window and say, "meow".

Stop it.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
OH I've been meaning to ask a cop this question. Can you really pull a young driver, 16 and 3 months that hasn't had their license for 1 year, and is carrying more than 1 passenger? Or is that ONLY a second offense, like you have to pull them over for speeding/wreckless driving, and then give them the ticket for that, AND the carrying more than 1 passenger.

Did you not pay attention in driver's ed at all ? Its a secondary offense dude :bonk: .

Also, why do officers feel the need to harass skateboarders when all we want to do is have some fun ? Would you rather us be smoking crack and pushing ex ?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
cops don't like it when you pee on them during a sobriety test. never had that happen but i'm going to go out on a limb and assume that they don't appreciate it when you do that. unless they are into that kind of thing...

NTTAWWT

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA

That's nothing. At least 2 or 3 times a year I get someone who finds out that I'm from Canada asking, "Do you know my cousin Frank in Toronto!!??!?!?!"

I've started to answer yes, and then make up a story how I don't hang out with him since he started touching boys at the playground...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i hate cops, they think they are Gods and no one tell them anything so in my city one SUV vehicle is riding around city after 12 at night or so and stop people and if they dont like that guy or girl they beet crap out of them and police officers in SUV are special forces for police , in body armours, and stuff...

and no one complaining because no one will do nothing about that so its scary at night between Saturday and Sunday because most of guys are drung, they drive drunk so police dont mind if you are ok or drunk...

manimal what do you think about song which is so famous ,, artist is N.W.A. (niggas with attitude) and song is F.uck the police ??

and yes you are "lucky" in USA you have choppers fast interceptors so you cant hide that easly but if you watch GHOSTRIDER (my moto role model) you can see that EU cops just suck except german police they are just fast and faster than you so if you have fastest mot bike they will have faster if you drive something like lamborgini or ferrari they have porsche so only police which i will respect are german..

USA police use weapons too easly , for stupid thing they kill.. worst police is in USA sorry but that is thrue
nwa rules
ummm...ok? :banghead: :banghead:

yeah, better stay away from the US 'cause we get 1 free shooting per year per officer and it just might be you! :rolleyes: :bonk: :clue:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002

as silent J said, and it was me that he was recalling, ;
look at it this way. we can only respond emergency traffic (lights/sirens) for accidents w/ injury, assaults involving a weapon in progress, in progress break-ins and robberies. so let's say your sister is married to some asshat that likes to beat on women. your sis manages to get to the phone and dial 911 before her hubby starts the second round of beating. he doesn't have a weapon but your sis is still getting it pretty good. i can't run emergency traffic to that call because there are no weapons involved or reported.....so do you want me to keep driving 35mph in the 35mph zone, setting a good example, or do you want me to kick it up a notch within reason so i can get to your sis and handle business w/ her abusive husband?
if it were my mom/wife/daughter/friend in need, i'd be pissed if the cops didn't "bend" the rules a bit to get there a little faster.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
What about when you are writing a ticket, and someone asks "How long is this going to take." I always go into a long drawn out explanation of how long it would take if they got in an accident and had to wait on an ambulance...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Yepper. I recently had my tools ripped off out of my building. For which I am the only tenant?? No signs of forced entry. I never leave the door unlocked and the only other person who has a key is the maintenance guy.

The police came and could do nothing. I was extremely disappointed.

However in the grand scheme of things. I understand. I was foolish for leaving my tools in a vulnerable spot. I failed at keeping control of my sh*t and got comfortable with my surroundings.

I don't expect the cops to compensate for my stupidity and understand that they don't have the resources and time to deal with my trivial crap. Instead they need to concentrate on the bigger fish so to speak. Plus I couldn't produce any reciepts that I even actually owned those tools or provide a list of said tools.

Lessons learned: I am on my own and the police can do little to protect me or my property. The only hope I have in protecting my stuff is to be dilligent or hope the police can actually catch the bad guys in the act stealing my crap.

I atleast attempted to resolve the issue in the right way. Now I get to have my fun....

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
as silent J said, and it was me that he was recalling, ;
look at it this way. we can only respond emergency traffic (lights/sirens) for accidents w/ injury, assaults involving a weapon in progress, in progress break-ins and robberies. so let's say your sister is married to some asshat that likes to beat on women. your sis manages to get to the phone and dial 911 before her hubby starts the second round of beating. he doesn't have a weapon but your sis is still getting it pretty good. i can't run emergency traffic to that call because there are no weapons involved or reported.....so do you want me to keep driving 35mph in the 35mph zone, setting a good example, or do you want me to kick it up a notch within reason so i can get to your sis and handle business w/ her abusive husband?
if it were my mom/wife/daughter/friend in need, i'd be pissed if the cops didn't "bend" the rules a bit to get there a little faster.
Now that's info we need! I was of the same opinion... "Dang cops ran the red light". To me I thought that no lights = not on a call/no emergency. Now I know better and won't be so quick to judge the cop going through the red, or speeding. :thumb:

Oh, and can we name this smilie "manimal" --> :busted: ?

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Does father-in-law qualify? And he's retired. :biggrin:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Try PMing him. He'll get back to you faster.