Quantcast

manitou black elite( do they work for FR)

FlashBullit

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
I got some new forks and i wanted to know what other people know about the fork and i posted about so please tell me what you know and please dont be smart:monkey: about it.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
They arent horrible. You could do worse. Ive had the comp and i really didnt like it. I cant speak for the elite because ive never used one. A good place for reviews also is www.mtbr.com . Lots of stuff to dig through there......

What would help people respond in a usefull way...... How bout you define your idea of "FR". Some info too about yourself. Skill, weight/height, bike you ride.... where you ride..... (or want to). Its such a general question you might not get too much real feedback.

AA_Freeze

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
Ferndale,Wa
Ya, I agree with Oly, we need to know what your gonna do with the fork when you say "FR" . I like the Elites, they are good all around forks and usually very inexpensive. Available in the Travel Wind Down model also so you can adjust your travel settings. They only come with standard dropouts so there are limits with the fork. If you need a beefy fork for cheap try and find an 02-03 Shiver Single crown as they can still be had new and are often in the $250-$300 range and have a 20mm axle. I got an 03 Boxxer right here on RM for $200, so you can definately find good deals out there.

Ice Bullit

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Seattle, WA
He is only 15 and not to much over 100 lbs. He DJ's and drops with them and not to much DH stuff (so far). He is pretty good, comes from a BMX back ground and rides places like South Sea Tac and places simular to that type of riding.

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
Originally posted by FlashBullit
I got some new forks...

...and please dont be smart:monkey: about it.
you got two forks thats great!:eek:
but why do you need them both huh:confused:

so much for the being smart part:rolleyes:

...I wanted to know what other people know about the fork...Manitou Black Elite

I just put on a Manitou Black 'Super' on my Kona Bear. This is a training bike for me (a Tiger Mtn Special...weighing in at 36 lbs) and the fork is not meant to be Jumped. (It says right in the manual). The Super has a lockout that has failed 3 times already, but now it is working properly after Mantiou sent in new valving to my LBS to install. It doesn't feel as if it could handle much more than a 2-3 foot drop, but if you
are smooth on the jumps it might last a while, especially since you are a lighter person than I (185lbs).

I would recommend getting into the Sherman forks if you are looking for a more solid jumping fork. $$

clognot

Ice Bullit

Monkey
Mar 16, 2003
Seattle, WA
We could barley afford the bike. My bro is 15 with a paper route and I am a poor college student so I think that new forks are out of the question.

If they are not ment to be jumped then why is it that I see those forks on pro riders MTX rigs?

If they are not ment to be jumped then why is it that I see those forks on pro riders MTX rigs?

Hhhmmm...could be MY BAD. I now recall that it wasn't the owners manual, but the little yellow sticker on the bottom left of my fork that says:

"This fork is for X-country use only, not stunt jumping".

Now whether Manitou single out the Black "SUPER" becuase of the lock out mechanism, I am not sure. It may be that your Black ELITE is okay for jumping, but the owners manual does
include all 4 of the following forks in there use and abuse policies:

Manitou BLACK:
SUPER
ELITE
COMP
PLATINUM

If you don't have that yellow warning sticker on your new fork, then it is probably okay to jump away :eek:

clognot

FlashBullit

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
sorry i got one fork just to let you know i just didnt want to spoul my bike pic (My Monkey) and you should go see it and replaie about it and please dont bother for my typeing lol im tired. im sure that the forks are not cross country forks there to nice for that lol.

FlashBullit

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
It is the 2002 modle too, the 04 and 02 modles could have different roles (ie older was ok for DJ and new is not) but it seems to be able to hold up to the abuse so far....

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
i like them allot, very good and stiff DJ and sc fork, dampning is very good, i wouldnt want to drop on them higher than 6 feet to flat.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by HippieKai
you got two forks thats great!:eek:
but why do you need them both huh:confused:

so much for the being smart part:rolleyes:
go smoke some pot, ya hippie!!!!

:D

their forks. or it's a fork. I refuse to budge on this issue.:monkey: :devil:

FlashBullit

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
Im thinking there to soft for Dirt jumping, but they are getting easyer and easyer to use each day, but now im able to contral it better, its just hard going from Bmx to mountain bikes, but im tring to get Dirt jumper 3's are they Good for dirt jumping and droping?

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Im thinking there to soft for Dirt jumping, but they are getting easyer and easyer to use each day, but now im able to contral it better, its just hard going from Bmx to mountain bikes, but im tring to get Dirt jumper 3's are they Good for dirt jumping and droping?
Stiffen them up if you can... I've got DJ3's as you can see...

DJ3's are great, I reccomend them to you. They can take a lot of beatings too. Go for them, I bet you could even make a trade. I traded an old Z.5 for the ones on my Trek. :)

FlashBullit

Monkey
Dec 19, 2003
Originally posted by dwaugh
Its a very nice bike, if you go to the other link you can see my hardtail that also has DJ3's. :)

The other pic is smaller too. :rolleyes:
Are the dirt jumper 3 good what do you like the most about them?

Im think of getting new forks and they look good i just want a rides view on them.

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW

Im think of getting new forks and they look good i just want a rides view on them.
I rode a dj2 once and the valving felt really crappy, I can't imagine the dj3 feeling any better. That said I was riding it on the trails and it just felt too slow and had both too much comp and rebound damping, something that maybe is good for dirtjumping? I would assume that's the case since that's what the fork is built for.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.

DJ3's are good. I'm not sure what it is I like most about them, but I know that I like their strength. I have broken one fork already and I dont think I'll break these unless I do something really extremely stupid or crazy. If you come up here anytime soon you can ride both of my bikes and try them out.

I rode a dj2 once and the valving felt really crappy, I can't imagine the dj3 feeling any better. That said I was riding it on the trails and it just felt too slow and had both too much comp and rebound damping, something that maybe is good for dirtjumping? I would assume that's the case since that's what the fork is built for.
:confused: Odd, my fork is great for everything. It handles trails great and made Whistler ok and jumps really good, handles drops good, etc. Good for everything I think. I've ridden a lot of forks and the DJ3 is by far the best. (I've owned six forks, the last two being my DJ3's, and I've ridden a lot more of all kinds).

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
It could have been in dire need of a oil change or maybe had the wrong oil in it. It was a "pro" rental bighit or something so it could've been an abused fork. Or maybe I"m just spoiled by my old monster and my two Z.1's 100mm and 130mm that are oh so plush. :D :D

MotoXmg

Chimp
Mar 7, 2004
Hood River, Oregon
hi.....back to the original question.........i have a 2001 spec p3 that i'm freeriding with the black elite 100-120 adjustable......i weigh about 195, 5'10", and 35 yrsold.......i like em!!! i'm doin dirt jumps as well as ladder drops 4', etc......and they seem to work great for me....i have been riding strictly the post canyon trails in my hometown of Hood River. That is my input! Mike