Quantcast

manitou damper help

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
So I just pulled apart a 08 Travis cartridge, they call it an "air backed intrinsic" damper. Even though it doesn’t have a platform feature (unless you count **** loads of stiction as a platform). I had it on my bike for 2days, and it sucked, was super harsh on small bumps, and bottomed out like crazy.

It looks like all that friction was coming from the ifp, it could be that it’s just not broken in, or needs better o-rings. And I think the bottoming is because of a missing glide-ring or seal where the compression (blue) piston is. The piston is about .715” in diameter the cart is .775" on the inside.

Any ideas on how to get that floating piston moving better?

djivotno

Monkey
Oct 3, 2008
Are you sure it's written "intrinsic" on the lowers - this looks like a CTPC of a Travis Single 150. And yes the missing glide ring has a pretty big effect - you're effectively running on you air chamber and not on the compression unit.

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
You be screwed w/o that missing glide ring, I wouldn't bother riding it until that gets sorted out. You're in N.V. so you're close to Trident (the Manitou people) so getting the glide ring should be quick and easy.

As for the ifp's O-ring, it will get better with time. When you reassemble it get it good and wet with fork oil and make sure not to damage it on the cart's threads when you slide it back in.

djivotno

Monkey
Oct 3, 2008
yes this is the new "intrinsic" system, out of a 203 travis
Wow, I'll be getting one of those after the Boxxer than.

If you can't get the proper glide ring you can get two O-rings and put them in that slot - it could be better, and this piston does not move relative to the cartrige so they won't wear out.

As for the friction i think a few drops of oil in the air chamber won't damage it :)

Edit:

Just a little marketing research - wich Travis is yours - the stock 08 Tripple 200?

Last edited:

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
my travis started as a 07 intrinsic 203 with the red(pink) knob on top, ti spring too. i broke that, twice. then i got one of the tpc+ internals, its been realy good, but you need to get the oil hight just right, and i was having problems with oil expanding. i got this cart last year at crankworx, and it didnt work right, so i just tossed the tpc+ back in.

djivotno

Monkey
Oct 3, 2008
I guess with the CID with the floating piston you won't have the issues with the oil level/expation, but you need to brake it in, and you wont get that staget compression, but i think it's a pretty good damper and you should give it a try I know I would (and I probably will :pirate2: )

atb

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
the north shore
i'm thinking it might be possible to use the tpc+ pistons in the new damper. i just need to make sure theres room between the pistons when it bottems.

djivotno

Monkey
Oct 3, 2008
i'm thinking it might be possible to use the tpc+ pistons in the new damper. i just need to make sure theres room between the pistons when it bottems.
I'd run it as it is. It should be as good of a damper as the Pushed Boxxer unit but more consistant because of the floating piston, and without that extra ramp up due to pressure in the lowers :)

The only advantage of the TPC+ unit is the "mid" speed compression (when the one piston is engaged but the other is not) and having less damping in your mid speeds can affect the breaking.