Quantcast

Manitou-dorado Questions...

Kalbi777

Chimp
Nov 3, 2014
Hi guys !
I'm new to this forum with seams great so hello to anyone.
I bought a new dorado maybe 2-3 months back.
when I put my front wheel in the fork and I followed the instructions on how to align the fork legs to prevent internal friction. My wheel is closer to one fork leg. I also realized that the stanchions were not at the same height. (They are mounted at exact the same size in the crown. But at the height of the seals the stanchions aren't at same height.)
I don't know if someone experienced similar problems or have an idea of the problem.
I asked Hayes about the fact that the wheel is closer to one fork leg. they said the problem is about the wheel (bad dishing). But I think it's because the stanchions aren't at the same height. Consequence the axle isn't parallel to the ground and the wheel is tilted to one side.

If someone could help me, Thank you !

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Damper leg should be longer because of negative travel... If damper leg would be shorter (same lenght as the sprung side) You would destroy the damper during the top out. If Your tire is closer to one side than Your wheel is dished wrong and You have to readjust Your spoke tension.

DirtMerchant

Chimp
Apr 17, 2014
Is the hex axle fully inserted? Tighten the axle and then the pinch bolts.

It can be tricky to get the axle started but its pretty fool proof...

Kalbi777

Chimp
Nov 3, 2014
@DirtMerchant Yes I did it like that. Insert axle, tighten it, push the fork up and down to align legs, and then tighten the pinch bolts. btw how strong do you tight the axle ? it's written 3,4-4,3 Nw/m but personally i find it is not enough

@troy Thank you, so I suppose it's really because of the dish of the wheel. But could you explain me more about how the damper leg would get smashed if both would have same size ? i can't understand.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
When fork extends to neutral position/0" of travell, it doesn't stop, but it extends further and compresses so called negative spring (so You don't hear a clunk noise during top out). Damper leg has no negative spring installed, so it has to move freely, otherwise You would break the damper rod or piston bolt.

Kalbi777

Chimp
Nov 3, 2014
Okay i get it the link was a new fork.
You work for that company :p?
I'll keep that fork for atleast a moment ; )