Quantcast

Manitou Dorado seized thru-axle bolt

my thru-axle bolt is seized onto the axle on the dorado. i've removed the pinch bolts and wedged a flat head screwdriver into the gap. i've also loosened the crown bolts on the disc brake caliper leg. and squirted some penetrating oil in/around the bolt.

in my frustration, i gorilla handled it and now the 6mm hex hole is stripped/rounded out. any suggestions? drill it out?

manitou is sending me an updated axle bolt but the tech said "i'm on my own" for removing the seized bolt. :think:

help would be appreciated.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Sorry to hear, but I'm sure you'll get it sorted. Besides this particular problem, how do you like the fork?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
in my frustration, i gorilla handled it and now the 6mm hex hole is stripped/rounded out. any suggestions? drill it out?
Align a torx bit so the edges are where the corners of the hex were, hammer it in and then remove it like you normally would. If this doesn't help, you have to drill.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
those are the most useless tools ive used

Align a torx bit so the edges are where the corners of the hex were, hammer it in and then remove it like you normally would. If this doesn't help, you have to drill.
that works as does standard allens sometimes.

you might not be able to get enough torque on the axle by cutting a slot in it for a screwdriver. this should be your last resort

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
2nd'd.

Back in the day before I had any experience working on European cars, i'm pretty sure I thought that's what Torx bits were for :rofl:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Find machine shop. Pay someone a few bucks to mill off the head of the bolt. Drop the axle out. Pinch threads in a vice, undo axle from threads with crescent wrench. Install new bolt.

Dremel/machine a slot for a piece of flat-stock steel (.125" thick maybe) to fit in where you can get both hands on it. That has always been my preferred method for larger bolts, especially with exposed flatheads. Lots of contact area, lots of torque.

Find machine shop. Pay someone a few bucks to mill off the head of the bolt. Drop the axle out. Pinch threads in a vice, undo axle from threads with crescent wrench. Install new bolt.
this was kinda my route. i used a dremel to try and cut parallel flat surfaces to grip at it with a wrench. but because the bolt is so close to the leg, clearance for a wrench was nonexistant. after pulling off the crowns, so i was just left with the 2 legs, and pulling out the pinch bolts, i used a punch and hammer to get the bolt moving.

i couldn't use a torx wrench because the biggest one they had near me was a T40 and still was too small.

manitou is sending me an updated replacement bolt, and i will be more careful with greasing and not overtightening it in the future.

i was kinda bummed that hayes/manitou didn't have trailer or tent at Windham, i brought my fork to see they could give me a hand.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
has no automotive experience field time I can see.
I've plenty, and have yet to have an extractor work as advertised.

In my experience they just crack and then I have a hardened bit of tool steel stuck in whatever I was trying to extract.

Not once have they worked for me. I'll give them this, if I'm at the point of trying an extractor, not a damn other method has worked so its probably pretty stuck.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I guess you've never delt with destroyed bolts stuck in blocks or round engine mount bolts or round lugnuts or anything else requiring extraCtorz/
if you can get them to actually work as advertised, then you are the super mechanic of the decade....especially if you can get a "round lugnut" off with them or anything that bolts into the block of a engine.
do you have "field experience???"