Quantcast

manitou dorado

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
What is the difference in the Expert and Pro? The only difference I can see is the the leg material aluminum vs 7050 aluminum. Am I missing something? The price difference is about $450 for about only 120g less.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
The crowns are also different. Other than that, they look the same. The spring and damper systems are the same...the Expert looks like a pretty solid bargain, really.

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
I noticed this price difference when looking for a dorado for a customer through my distributor. decided to ask manitou. this was their response.

Internally they are the same. Both use the same damper system and air spring system. The main difference is that the Pro is made with 7000 series aluminum and the Expert is made with 6000 series aluminum. This covers the outer legs, dropouts and crowns of the fork.

What is the difference in the Expert and Pro? The only difference I can see is the the leg material aluminum vs 7050 aluminum. Am I missing something? The price difference is about $450 for about only 120g less.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
I noticed this price difference when looking for a dorado for a customer through my distributor. decided to ask manitou. this was their response.

Internally they are the same. Both use the same damper system and air spring system. The main difference is that the Pro is made with 7000 series aluminum and the Expert is made with 6000 series aluminum. This covers the outer legs, dropouts and crowns of the fork.
What impact on performance does 7k vs. 6k series alloy have as used in this case? Serious question, since I don't know.
Also, what shop you at here in SD?

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
What impact on performance does 7k vs. 6k series alloy have as used in this case? Serious question, since I don't know.
Weight. Since they both have almost exactly the same youngs modulus, I'm guessing they just added material to account for the decreased strength of 6k series vs 7k series.

Basically, the only penalty should be the extra weight and you might even get an increase in stiffness depending on where they added it.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Dilzy is right.

7k series is a zinc alloy, 6k series is a magnesium+silicon. 7k series is harder and more difficult to machine and weld compared to 6k series (thus more expensive). I think 7k series alloys typical have higher tensile strengths, so probably better strength/weight ratios in these kind of applications.

Last edited:

Tomasz

Monkey
Jul 18, 2012
Whistla
Why pay $450 to shave 120g when you can just tape a Saint M820 derailleur to the fork and cut 100g for much less?

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
I have the Expert bolted to the front of my '13 Norco Aurum, feels and looks pretty decent to me. As the others have explained, the main important bit are the same with just a difference in materials.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Just rode the EXPERT a bit today. Feels fine will have more saddle time over next few months. Still feels GOOD!

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
Dilzy is right.

7k series is a zinc alloy, 6k series is a magnesium+silicon. 7k series is harder and more difficult to machine and weld compared to 6k series (thus more expensive). I think 7k series alloys typical have higher tensile strengths, so probably better strength/weight ratios in these kind of applications.
You are correct on all points. And the 7000s fail (ultimate) around 74,000 psi where the 6000s fail around 42,000 psi.

The stiffness difference for 7050/6061 is 10.3e6/9.9e6 psi, respectively.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
okay, but this is not a after market fork..
Yeah pretty sure it is got an email from Jon the other day telling me about the fork. Sounds like it is now available for orders. So a dealer should be able to call and get the MSRP they have them in stock.

Last edited: