Quantcast

manitou fork stability?

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
anyone know if a manitou six reverse arch fork w/ 4.5 in of travel will hold out on 3+ foot dirt jumps? i can only work weekends and get paid uner the table (im only 13) so i cant buy a new fork for a while so im stuck

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
Well it'll hold up for a little while but once you start going bigger a new fork should be your next buy. You being only 13 means you probably don't weight too much so you should be okay with that fork for awhile. But start looking for something new.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
13 years old you should be on a BMX! Then your whole bike would cost less than a fork ;)

It should be fine as long as you aren't casing everything. When it breaks get a better one :)

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
These sorts of questions mystify me.

Now, before someone takes this as an insult on the MTB world, let me say that I *really* just don't get it, and that's not my intent.

3 foot dirt jumps? Just how weak is this fork in question? BMX types have been jumping on fork technology that was invented something like 28 years ago (by Redline), and we're jumping seven foot jumps with 30+ foot gaps. :confused:

The same questions come to mind when I see pictures of the destroyed shock in that other thread. I seriously would have thought these pieces would take a whole lot more abuse than that.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Here's a question back. How many of bmxers are jumping these jumps on mtb style forks, that means seperate crowns, aluminum or other parts etc? Not just a three steel tubes welded together.

And really for learning a bmx fork won't always stand up to stuff either. I've bent my bmx fork badly. If someone is learning to jump the're probably gonna bend/break stuff. Forks are vulnerable because of how they slam into the backside of jumps.:rolleyes: :p

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
See, Mr. Puppy, you're kind of missing my point.

I would have assumed before this thread that mountain bike forks would be *more* durable than your typical BMX fork. I'm beginning to really think twice about that assumption, however.

But, that's neither here nor there, I suppose. To answer your question, none of them are jumping on mtb style forks, though there are several sets available for racer types these days.

Actually, I take that back. There are *plenty* of pro sections at BMX tracks that have gaps similar to those I described in my previous post, and there are plenty of amatuer and professional riders who are riding forks that have aluminum crowns and other bits. Their stuff seems to hold up pretty well.

I've bent and broken a few forks along the way as well. It was always on something far bigger than a three foot tall dirt jump, though.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
whoa there randomv
u gotta know that unlike bmx...in the mtb world we got different kinds of forks. some are made specifically for dirt racing with no jumps. Now, ask yourself this; do you really think a carbon fiber, 2 pound short travel XC fork would really hold up on your 7ft. jumps??

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
and...randomv...sorry if i offened you by not jumping 7ftjumps. Im only 13 and just started jumping in august.so dont be criticizin unless you got the facts straight.

THe other deal with mountain bikes is that alot of the people who buy low/middle end mountain bikes never use them as mountain bikes, so durability never comes into play. Because of this many of them are stocked with parts that wont hold up to anything, the bike companys get away with this because 90% of people never use the bike except for commuting, and those that do use it, and invarribly break it, are told they are missusing it, and that avaerage mountain bikes are not made to do 2 ft drops, you need a DH bike to do that :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

on the other hand, almost every bmx bike, outside target, is ment to be jumped, the only people who buy them that dont jump them are the compleat posers, who ride them for their cool factor, almost no body buys a BMX for commuting, so almost all of them are abused, therefore if stuff breaks they get complants, and they fix it.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by mcA896
and...randomv...sorry if i offened you by not jumping 7ftjumps. Im only 13 and just started jumping in august.so dont be criticizin unless you got the facts straight.
Calm down there grasshopper, RandomV and everyone else here is just trying to help you and give you information... ;)

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Originally posted by mcA896
Aw, now see... I didn't find your comment offensive. I was simply expressing surprise over the concern that a mountain bike fork might not hold up to a three foot dirt jump. And I certainly wasn't criticizing your dirt jumping efforts.

I apologize for not making my questions more clear. I'm still surprised to hear that any "real" mountain bike fork wouldn't hold up to the stress of a three foot dirt jump. That is all.

Furthermore, I don't think I've ever even SEEN a two pound carbon fiber short travel XC fork - but, dang, what a mouthfull that is. I guess that wouldn't hold up to dirt jumping, either. But that's not the fork you're talking about running, either, so I don't really get the comparison.

EDIT to add a final point: To make this very clear, I would never criticize a fellow bike rider. As long as you're having fun doing whatever it might be, I'm all for it. Kudos to you for learning to dirt jump, because I happen to think that particular part of riding is really fun.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Originally posted by RandomV
See, Mr. Puppy, you're kind of missing my point.

I would have assumed before this thread that mountain bike forks would be *more* durable than your typical BMX fork. I'm beginning to really think twice about that assumption, however.

But, that's neither here nor there, I suppose. To answer your question, none of them are jumping on mtb style forks, though there are several sets available for racer types these days.

Actually, I take that back. There are *plenty* of pro sections at BMX tracks that have gaps similar to those I described in my previous post, and there are plenty of amatuer and professional riders who are riding forks that have aluminum crowns and other bits. Their stuff seems to hold up pretty well.

I've bent and broken a few forks along the way as well. It was always on something far bigger than a three foot tall dirt jump, though.
Yeah I bent my bmx fork on something bigger than 3 feet.

I would expect pros to have quite a bit more skill than a beginner and have sponsers to supply new parts.

Personally I'm kinda scared to take my mtb jumping. The last time we went to the jumps a friend hit our little jumps and broke his Marzocchi Z1. All he did was land a little to far down the landing, get squirrely and go down. Now he needs to get another fork that costs more than many bmx bikes. I ride my bmx jumping because I KNOW it's stronger.:D

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
About the six, look out for it. We had one come into the shop this summer that the arch had snapped off of. The rider was about 13 and not a big 13 at that. Broke it he says doing general trail riding, which probably means he nose dived off a picnic table, but who knows. I know plenty of people who have abused these forks and been fine, but for your own safety make sure you check it before and after every ride and crash. Don't want any injuries now.

The Ito