Quantcast

Manitou Gold Label 80 measuring longer?

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I hope to get a year out of my dj forks. After a year I start to get nervous.

There was a Marzocchi admitted flaw in the DJ you had. The two bolt holes under the crown (I think they were for a fender) caused the crown to crack. I had the same fork, I rode it for a year, then I noticed the cracks. Marzocchi replaced the uppers, which I rode for another year. This was 2 solid years of dirt/street/park riding, plenty of punishment for one fork to take. I decided to retire it. It hung in my garage near the ping pong table for awhile, then one night during a heated game of beer pong it was somehow damaged. The next morning it was dumped into the recycling bin with the empty beer cans.

Despite the crown issues that was the best fork I ever owned.

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
scurban said:
I hope to get a year out of my dj forks. After a year I start to get nervous.

There was a Marzocchi admitted flaw in the DJ you had. The two bolt holes under the crown (I think they were for a fender) caused the crown to crack. I had the same fork, I rode it for a year, then I noticed the cracks. Marzocchi replaced the uppers, which I rode for another year. This was 2 solid years of dirt/street/park riding, plenty of punishment for one fork to take. I decided to retire it. It hung in my garage near the ping pong table for awhile, then one night during a heated game of beer pong it was somehow damaged. The next morning it was dumped into the recycling bin with the empty beer cans.

Despite the crown issues that was the best fork I ever owned.
Hmm never had any issues with the crown.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
Muuqi said:
Hmm never had any issues with the crown.

It was in the 03 the one with the black lowers, gold stanchions, and silver crown.

About mid way through that year, you probably saw several of those forks with Black Stanchions, and black crowns? That is because Marzocchi started changing the 03 dj uppers for the 04 drop off uppers as a warranty deal.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
.... bringin back an old thread because there was a lotta good stuff in it.

i have a 80mm Manitou Gold Label Series II and I have noticed that it is stiff, and not so good on rough terrain riding. you lose the "floaty" quality of rolling over rocks, roots, etc. it does handle jumps well though.

Mar 23, 2006
NoVA/ Richmond
I love my Gold Label. I snapped the frame on my IH Porter a while ago, and got a warranty frame, which happened to include a Sherman Jumper. Personally i'd take the Gold Label over the Sherman any day for dirt jumping/ street. The Sherman is just too soft for my liking.