• Total voters

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
I voted for the manitou.
Here's why:
-Manitou has a fairly low AC height, while marzocchi's is up there
-I have cracked the crown on a Marz DJ, and a buddy did the same exact thing on the same fork
-Though both damping systems blow, the manitou's felt better to me than the Marz's SSV system
-I beleive gold label's are cheaper...?
-EDIT: Also, the manitou is almost a pound lighter

Normally I would recommend anything over a manitou, but having personal experience with both, I think the manitou wins this one.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
I'm on a Pike right now and it rips. The Argyle seems nice, pretty much a burlier pike without u-turn. Either of those would be great for your MOB. (BTW, I'm on a Riot with the Pike, and a buddy was on a MOB with a Pike, they ride great)

Also, Fox is coming out with a DJ fork sometime in the future, if you've got the cash...

EDIT: I'm not saying the manitou is a bad fork, my buddy has been on one for a while with no problems, and I like how it jumps. It just doesn't have the technology/damping to make it feel as good as some others.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I've been jumping the Gold Label II for awhile now.

Strengths:
- very light
- low A2C height
- the white looks rad

Weaknesses:
- pretty soft out of the box, a lot of guys put in a stiffer spring
- not much adjustability, only rebound (and I don't notice much of a difference when I change it)

Mine also has a slow oil leak. I probably need to replace a seal or something.

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
Its a toss up, if your smooth and don't go huge Manitou, if you go big, are harder on stuff I would get the Dirt Jumper. I've know people that have broke both forks and thats just my observance.
As far as dampening goes who cares, they are after all dirt jump/street/ skate park forks, which last time I checked are all really smooth surfaces. Heck BMX guys ride all that stuff with no suspension, so I don't know why it would be important to have DH style dampening on a fork that will most likely be set up stiff and ridden on smooth surfaces.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I voted Manipoo just because IMO the DJer is too heavy, BUT the ultimate fork out IMO right now is a custom tuned Nemesis Project 4x w/ air carts. Lighter than both your choices, you choose the travel, it's durable, and it's white!

If you can't afford that a Nemesis lowered Z1 is awesome as well, just a bit heavier w/o the air carts.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Its a toss up, if your smooth and don't go huge Manitou, if you go big, are harder on stuff I would get the Dirt Jumper. I've know people that have broke both forks and thats just my observance.
As far as dampening goes who cares, they are after all dirt jump/street/ skate park forks, which last time I checked are all really smooth surfaces. Heck BMX guys ride all that stuff with no suspension, so I don't know why it would be important to have DH style dampening on a fork that will most likely be set up stiff and ridden on smooth surfaces.
Why don't we all just ride rigid then, since the BMX guys are doing it? If you ride MTB's for DJ's and Park, you obviously like a smoother/more forgiving ride. No point in having suspension if it feels like crap. You can have a stiffly sprung fork that still feels good when you need it.

The SSV damping in the DJ spikes, period. That means on an overshot landing, or slamming the front end down for whatever reason, your wrists take the hit. The damping essentially doesn't work for high speed hits like those, the fork almost locks out. Most of the time, this isn't a big deal because DJ/ Park riding is smooth. But having nice damping in those accidental situations absolutely makes a huge difference.

I run my pike close to locked out, yet it gives just when I need it, and feels worlds better than my DJ did. I can also back off the compression for rougher terrain, or for whatever reason. Versatility is a good thing.

Not to mention the fact that the DJ's are nearly as much as a Pike when new. Didn't that series also JUST receive exernal rebound adjust? Come on

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
My buddy broke his lowers on the Gold Label, where the arch meets one of the lowers.

I agree that the weight on a DJ'er is ridiculous, but strong as hell.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Why don't we all just ride rigid then, since the BMX guys are doing it?
Word. I'm thinking that will be my next move after I'm done with the Gold Label. I rode a rigid BMX for 20 years. I don't need the cushion or the weight. If you know how to ride, you know how land softly.:lighten:

rhd

Chimp
Oct 30, 2006
i voted zoke...cause i have one, and it was very cheap....but, i think i wanna sell it to get a pike now

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
I agree that the weight on a DJ'er is ridiculous, but strong as hell.
The new Dirt Jumpers are much lighter then the previous models. One of the guys I ride with has a 2007 DJ 2 on his Mob and it clocks in just a hair above 5.5 pounds, which makes it only about .3 pounds heavier than the Gold Label. The Dirt Jumper 2 with the stock 100mm travel has a 483mm axle to crown height, and the Gold Label at 100mm has a 475mm axle to crown height. Not even a Centimeter of difference.

If you have the chance to ride both, I would judge them by how they feel to you. Some people hate the way the RV damping in the new Dirt Jumpers feel, some people like it; the same goes for Fluid Flow in the Manitou.

Another option if you can't decide on these two would be the RockShox Argyle or Pike. Argyle is basically the same but with a preset travel at 100mm instead of U-Turn, Cro-Mo stancions, and a beefier crown and steer tube. You can also lock it out for street riding.

I'm trying to decide between the 3 of these myself to order in a few weeks. I honestly think that any of them you couldn't go wrong with.

mtb527

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
argyles look the sweetest and totems, (freeride i think) look awesome.. but a friend of mine has an argyle and after one ride it started getting some play in it.. hmmm just a thought if you are even considering this fork