Quantcast

Manitou Millenium?

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Well, I traded my boxxer for some spare parts and a Manitou Millenium. I made the choice with out really thinking because I need a replacement for my DJ 1. Tell me all about it. I can't really find anything about it except for some pictures which isn't what I need. I need like a spec list and personal expeiences with this fork.
Thanks

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
alls i know is that fork was sick 5 years ago. i know a few people who had one. it was amazing back then. dont know how it compares to today's stuff since i havent felt them side by side.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's a 5" TPC+ fork. The Millenium was simply a limited edition Supernova. And by "limited edition", I mean it had a different color scheme and a number plate on it :)

It's pretty similar to all other TPC+ forks, if you like that damping, it'll probably be great. Disadvantages are that they're carbon lowers so be careful you don't ding 'em up, and they're 30mm stanctions so it won't be as stiff as, say, a Sherman. From all accounts they were a darn stiff fork in its day so it probably won't be a problem.

I don't think those forks came with the Evil Genius seals, so they may be grease lubricated instead of a semi-bath. Check it out when you get it and if it's grease lubricated, contact Manitou and see if they make a set of EG seals for it to convert it to semi-bath.

edit: Woah, I've got a huge "P" below my name now. Check me out, I'm special :D

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Yeah I got the "P" also. It means we are cooler than everyone else. Now, when you say carbon lowers, This worries me. I'm going to street ride this thing pretty hard and DJ alot. Will a scratch here and there be a problem?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
priceseliger14 said:
Yeah I got the "P" also. It means we are cooler than everyone else. Now, when you say carbon lowers, This worries me. I'm going to street ride this thing pretty hard and DJ alot. Will a scratch here and there be a problem?
In one word...maybe. One thing to keep in mind is that this fork ceased production years ago, so in the event that you do toast the lowers, I doubt Manitou would have a replacement available. If you can find some protective tape or whatever to put over the lowers, I'd err on the side of caution and use it.

On the whole, good trade. I got the chance to rock a Supernova a few years back on a friend's bike. I really dug the fork, it was plenty stiff and I've always like tpc+.

I'm sure someone with more experience with the fork will chime in with something actually informative.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
priceseliger14 said:
Would just wrapping electric tape all over the lowers work?
It would work, but it is not the best solution. Go to a moto-x shop and pick up some vinyl and trim that to fit the lowers. It should be plenty thick enough to divert any blows that might cut the carbon fibers.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Polandspring88 said:
It would work, but it is not the best solution. Go to a moto-x shop and pick up some vinyl and trim that to fit the lowers. It should be plenty thick enough to divert any blows that might cut the carbon fibers.
Whats that? How much would it cost? Is it kind of like grip tape for a skate bored?

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
priceseliger14 said:
Whats that? How much would it cost? Is it kind of like grip tape for a skate bored?
Think of it as a fairly thin flexible plastic sheet. It should not be too expensive, I don't imagine anymore than $20 dollars maximum.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it's a pretty tall fork for a 4.75" fork. i recall my friend's fork always had the dust wiper on one of the legs always moving as well.

nice fork, just dated imo.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
yeah my supernova is an awesome fork. best sc fork ive ever felt. its pretty stiff aswell, so if your worried about the carbon go into a moto shop and ask them for number plate backing, it also comes in clear so you could try that too