Quantcast

Manitou Minute Rebuild Guides?

krustydude

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
Richland, WA
Anyone know of a good website with step by step fork rebuild guides. I'm want to rebuild my '04 Minute 2:00. If it's super simple and someone can tell me that will work, I'm fairly mechanically inclined. Thanks guys.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
It should fairly simple.

1 Remove any adjustmen knobs on the bottom of the lowers
2 One leg has a 11mm that needs to be unsdrewed, if it seems to be spinning, compress the fork a bit to put some tension/friction on the internal rod.
3 The other leg has an 8mm allen head up inside a little, this is the end of the damper rod and needs to be screwed INTO the fork (clockwise).

Now the lowers will slide off. There will be a little lubricating oil (20mm) between the lowers and stanchions so have a catch ready.

krustydude

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
Richland, WA
Yeah, I did all of that, but when i try to pull it apart the left leg catches when it tops out. I removed the top caps, but I don't see how that would stop it from coming apart.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
You should not need to remove the tops unless you are changing the damping oil.
The only thing that could prevent the lowers from sliding off is one of the two internal rods are still connected to the lowers. Sometimes the spring side rod can get stuck or swedged to the lower.
Check to see that both internal rods are actulally loose from the lowers...try to push the 8mm allen wrench up into the fork while holding the lowers, they should be seperated. Same thing on the bolted side. Re insert the 11mm bolt about half way(so that it is threaded in a bit but there are still a couple of threads showing. Try to push the bolt into the lower casting. If the rod is stuck you can LIGHTLY tap the bolt into the lower to loosen the stuck spring rod, be careful as the rod is aluminum and you can screw up the inner threads quide easly.

krustydude

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
Richland, WA
got it. the rods were free, the bushing was really tight and the lowers wouldn't slide off the legs. i had to use a rubber mallet and tap it apart. thanks for the help guys.