Quantcast

Manitou Nixon Platinum Problems

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
I've been riding a new Giant Reign 1 (great bike by the way) for the past week and have basically destroyed the Nixon fork after only 5 rides. The thing tops out so harshly that it clanks very loudly when the travel is extended. Any time I wheelie or drop off anything... heck, even during normal riding as the travel extends to meet a dip, CLANK!

It started out as a slight bushing slop that developed after only one very light ride. Then slowly, it just progressed to where it's at now.

I'm totally unimpressed by the Nixon overall and hope that Manitou gets their act together. Word is that Giant has seen more than half of their Nixon's get sent back. That's totally unacceptable after spending $3300 on a bike. The 06 models are said to be coming with the Fox 36 fork. :)

Another rant about the fork... the on-the-fly travel adjustment trigger is great for reducing the travel, but doesn't work for extending it back out unless you get completely off the bike. I tried and tried to wheelie long enough while holding down the thumb trigger and couldn't ever get it to extend out completely before the wheel hit the ground. Maybe that says something about my wheelie skills, but it also says that the travel adjustment is flawed. Nothing is more frustrating than having to dismount when the going gets fun. LAME-O!

I've never been a Manitou fan and this solidifies their standing as the bottom of the suspension fork heap. :stosh:

Anyone else have similar isssues with the Nixon?