Quantcast

Manitou Six-Way Damping Reduction

MouseMonkey

Monkey
Jul 29, 2006
Salt Lake City
I searched around for an answer but didn't find anything helpful, sorry if this has been covered.

Has anyone had any luck reducing the damping on a Manitou Swinger 6-Way? I would like to mod one to work better with a 2-1 ratio frame, currently the stock damping is just a bit too much. Not afraid to drill or shim, but just have no idea where to start.

Thanks in advance.

MM

spinner

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Australia
Have you considered changing the oil to a lighter weight ?

I replaced mine with 2.5 wt (I believe the stock oil is 5wt). I'm running it on a 3:1 ratio bike , but the lighter oil allows me to better use the range of damping adjustment on the shock. The change has "livened" it up a great deal , although I have to run the rebound almost all the way in to get it to where I want it , fairly fast but not too much so as to buck me off on big hits.

It might be worth the experiment before you go ahead with permanent mods to the internals.

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
Agreed.
I ran my 5th all the way off with the stock oil and found it okay. If running nearly all the way in with a 2.5 oil and a 3:1 frame gets a similar result, then with a 2:1 you will certainly find your sweet spot. Unless you want to ditch the whole SPV thing and re-shim it your way.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
I'm planning on changing the oil in mine to 2.5wt as well. My 6-way is on a 2.18:1 frame, and the rebound, HSC and LSC are backed most of the way out, 70psi, max SPV volume. Hopefully the lighter weight oil will give me greater range of adjustment. I hope you share your results.