Quantcast

manitou stance vs. pike

Jan 18, 2005
Tiverton, RI
hey im looking into a new fork for my steelhead. anyone want to help me out and give me some opinions and good or bad about either of the forks. im looking an the pike sl u-turn or the manitou stance jumper either 80mm or 100mm both brand new 05's. any opinions? or suggestions on other forks? and also wheels, im looking into complete new wheelset anything on that would help a lot too

Thanks,
PJ

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I just got a pike race yesterday, I dont have it mounted yet though. Its sweet looking, needless to say. Beefy looking, too.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I think I am going to buy a Mantiou Stance Static at 100 mm and put some heavier springs in it. And it also comes with Air Assist which is cool.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yea but doesnt the DJ3 have no rebound. The Stance Static is an awesome deal esp. at so o so special prices. Haha. But yea I just need anything better then my MZ Comp. But I am still debated what headset to get:
Spend the money and get a Chris King....
Or just go with a cheaper FSA Pig.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
the pig is a great deal for the price... super tough too. the bearing in that thing are so burly. the dj3 doesnt have external rebound, but with proper adjustment of the air preload, and different oils... springs.... ect you can tune it in really nice.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Yea, all the shop guys are like go with the CK and you will never go back. But I am like, that is soo goddamn expensive. But yea I will make a decision here soon.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
kkkkking and manitou dog best combo ever toss in some deity bars and nycfreeride (i know shameless sponsor plug) bars and stem and you are golden

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
i bent a stance static 100 in 3 rides. and i had to goober it with lube before every ride or else it was the stickiest piece of crap ever. buy something else. please.

Jan 18, 2005
Tiverton, RI
oops i meant the stance static sorry wel so far is seems like the pike is the better choice. any suggestions for a burly wheelset while not spending too much money?

Gregg

Chimp
May 24, 2005
Morgantown, WV
I've heard a lot of bad things about the whole stance line. Lots of people breaking them. I just ordered a steelhead frame and about to order a pike race. :)

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I have a Pike Team and it is incredible. Stiff, super adjustable, and it has held up to my big 230 lbs ass and some pretty hard riding. Now, I am not a dirt jumper but have take it on some pretty gnarly downhill trails with drops etc...

At one time I had a DJ2 and that was the harshest riding fork I've ever riden.

As for wheels, how about Azonic Outlaws? I know a few people that beat the hell out of them and they have been very pleased. You can find some good deals on them too!

Jan 18, 2005
Tiverton, RI
gregg abou the steelhead you wont be dissappointed its incredible except i dont know if its mine or their all like that but the rear end seems a bit flexy anyone know why?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Stance's in general are crap.

I think I've seen 4 bent Stance Static steertubes (Yes, in real life).

Get the Pikey.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
yet another vote for the pike. Great fork. I'm torn between the king hs and pig dh pro also. I've run kings for years and I've also run the pig. I don't think I'll buy another king hs unless I can get it used in good shape for the cost of a pig.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
There is no reason the Pike is not a good cross country fork just because it has a 20mm axle. You can still build a light wheelset with a 20mm axle. It just stiffens up the front end and tracks better than a qr axle. It is not a XC race fork but for XC or All Mountain riding they are awesome. I have the Team and it's 4.75lbs. Not too shabby for weight and the performance is amazing! It's one of the best forks out right now.

lankyride

Chimp
Jan 3, 2005
mid west
ShdowConspiracy said:
yea im liking the 48 spoke from riding bmx so much
hey man unless you are seriously tough on rims tha Halo's are Way over built. a buddy of mine has the 24" 48 spoke on his steelhead. it makes the bike so hard to flick in the park and the DJ's. you may be able to get by with a lighter set and still have wheels that will hold up.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I'd agree about the Halos - 24" 48 spoke versions are way heavy once built up. A friend of mine runs them on his BigHit. WAY too much metal. However, I think Halos are availible in 36 too.

However I'd go with Atomlabs. I love Atomlab ****. Nice balance of weight and strength if you ask me. More importantly with wheels, though is who you get to build 'em. A good wheelbulder can build a set of XC 28 hoops stronger than a machine could build even a set of Halo 48s.

As for the forks. DJ3 all the way. They're just so simple - and for Urban and jumping, it's not like you need to 'tune' the rebound really is it? You just set em up, and then forget em. I particulary like the 02(03?) model - the ones before they got super heavy. Added benefit of being way cheaper.

Jan 18, 2005
Tiverton, RI
well i have a dj3 but its way too heavy thats why im looking into a new fork and the atomlabs any suggestions on the best place to get them as complete wheels cuz i know exactly what you mean on the importance of who builds them

cowman

Monkey
Oct 17, 2004
Seattle, WA
i'm selling a front 24" halo sas 48 spoke wheel with diatech 9mm/20mm convertable with adaptors if you would like. If you don't want that then go for 729's.