Quantcast

manitou swinger 4 way coil

dlax1532

Chimp
Mar 26, 2009
i just bought a manitou swinger 4 way coil shock. it came with a 400 pound spring. I had a manitou swinger 3 way coil with a 500 pound spring but i blew it, so hence the 4-way.

When i got it i put it on and i cud compress it by just sitting on it even with 150 psi. im not light but im not the heaviest guy either (180 lbs) i then put the 500 pound spring on and it still compresses even with the max 175 psi

I know its not supposed to compress this far. my 3-way that was blown was stiffer than this. even with no air.

So what im wondering is... did i buy a dud that came with a defect? or do i just need a much stiffer spring?

KevinR86

Chimp
Aug 13, 2006
Williamsburg VA
what bike, how much rear travel, and how much is it compressing?
also going from a 500 lb spring to a 400 lb spring is a pretty big decrease if the 500 was workin. Raising the SPV pressure just makes the bike pedal better, it shouldn't add preload to the shock.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
what bike, how much rear travel, and how much is it compressing?
also going from a 500 lb spring to a 400 lb spring is a pretty big decrease if the 500 was workin. Raising the SPV pressure just makes the bike pedal better, it shouldn't add preload to the shock.
It shouldn't but it kinda does. Ahh the joys of the Swinger...

dlax1532

Chimp
Mar 26, 2009
I've got a 2005 giant ac2. 6.3" or 5.3" of travel(I can adjust the position). the shock is 7.5" eye to eye and 2" stroke. it compresses completely when i sit on it. my 3 way swinger had the 500 pound coil and I put it on the 4 way. so wud a 700 pound spring help?

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I weighed what you weigh and had that same bike/shock combo and I ran a 450 spring if I recall. It felt soft but measuring showed ~33% sag which was about right for the riding I was doing. If you do a lot of climbing on it, you may want to go stiffer though. Mine was a pig to get up hills.

Even with no damping at all you shouldn't be able to sit on a 500 lb spring and bottom it out though. Did you tighten the collar? It needs to be preloaded a bit.

dlax1532

Chimp
Mar 26, 2009
thanks guys i completely forgot about tightening the collar or preload. now im in the same situation skateokil, a little bit of sag but still much better than before. Im still going for a little stiffer spring. thanks guys

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
were both springs for a 2" stroke shock?
just went and looked at my broken AC1 frame in the garage and the rock shox super delux on it is 2" stroke and 500lb @ 6" travel. it was about perfect for me at 180lbs geared up. it was a good trail bike but died a painful death when I threw a super T on it and did a DH race when I had no DH bike. :poster_oops:

Last edited:

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
were both springs for a 2" stroke shock?
just went and looked at my broken AC1 frame in the garage and the rock shox super delux on it is 2" stroke and 500lb @ 6" travel. it was about perfect for me at 180lbs geared up. it was a good trail bike but died a painful death when I threw a super T on it and did a DH race when I had no DH bike. :poster_oops:
Mine started out with a psylo up front but I quickly swapped on an 03 super t and turned it into a "dh" bike. "DH" in big quotes.

Never cracked it though.

dlax1532

Chimp
Mar 26, 2009
mine is the swinger 4way 2" stroke 500 pound coil and 6" travel just like "sonic reducer". i put a manitou sherman slider plus up front and im doing some bigger hits which is why i need a stiffer spring so it doesn't bottom out of a little 3 foot drop.

clemsonbiker

Chimp
Oct 23, 2007
i got a 4way on my preston (cant remember the lb spring). as long as its in the short travel setting its fine, but when i switch it into the long travel setting it seems to blows through the travel and compress alot when just sitting on it (im 160 lbs) only bottoms on hard hits but still alot of compression for just sititng on it.

i didnt read the whole thread but if you can, try switching travel settings and see if it changes anything. cant help you out much cause i guess i got lucky and never really had to adjust mine much.