Quantcast

Manitou travis intrinsic: avalanche!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So Craig popped one open and went through it, oddley enough it is almost identical to a product coming out by another player. Colors and a couple of seals are different and a bit of machining but real close.
So this fork was from 5 years ago and it apparently got scrapped because of issues of which Craig reworked and went through to correct.

Craigs thoughts on it are its a good sealed twin chamber cartridge system it needs work to make it work and he did just that.

Now twin tube sealed systems have been in use for quite a while its nothing new just to mtb. Kawasaki went nitro charged on theres but thats the difference between it and the rest... its been done they use a spring vs nitro to preload the carts in mx... till recently.

I rode one and liked it but had it for a short period and didnt have a ton of time on it, I know they had a bad reputation though and remember they were clearanced CHEAP to unload them...
(disclaimer: LOL I saw it on his site and had to ask!!!)

I think its great that hes doing this, there is people out there with forks/shocks that can scrape a couple hundred but not much more either because of the economy or they are young. So now they can have a custom tuned unit that basically was sitting around or they need to have fixed but parts arent available...

http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/Manitou/Travis 203.htm

From the site:

Manitou Travis 203 Intrinsic

Cartridge Revalve and Rebuild Service

Service includes all new o-rings, rod seals, improved compression valve sealing, progressive 2 stage compression and rebound valving shims, new check valve stops, check valve plates, check valve springs, Spectro 85/150 cartridge fluid.

Send Damper Cartridge to us for service, not available as self-install kit.

Available for all models of
Travis 203

Last edited:

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Its cool he is offering the service. I had quite a bit of time on a travis, and the main problem was that it was like 8 feet tall. Fully slammed my bike still rode like a chopper. Glad I broke it and was offered a dorado back then.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Wonder who the other player is... Elka?
Theres a couple of companies putting stuff out and only so many ways to make one... LOL So its not like there was a whole ton of options, its just been done with air vs nitro and 5 years ago.

If its a raked out issue then it ought to be the trend with all the 62 and 63 degree HA being the craze!!! It literally was ahead of its time raked out and twintube charged...;)

Last edited:

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Theres a couple of companies putting stuff out and only so many ways to make one... LOL So its not like there was a whole ton of options, its just been done with air vs nitro and 5 years ago.

If its a raked out issue then it ought to be the trend with all the 62 and 63 degree HA being the craze!!! It literally was ahead of its time raked out and twintube charged...;)
lolol with a 16 inch bb height.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
lolol with a 16 inch bb height.
I like monster trucking as much as the next beetnick!!!;)

Cant imagine its really that bad whats the axle to crown height? Min/Max

I know theres still guys riding them and for them its a great upgrade. For me Im content where Im at but then again if I didnt have ths stuff I do and I had one Id save a few coins and do it...

Its mainly the fact hes taken the AVA program and tried to not forget about too many people. Hes working on a slew of other stuff, the Travis isnt going to be a huge item but the fact its a item that can be done is great...

So my hats off to Craig for really getting a line out there encompassing a whole variety of stuff and not forgeting about the everyday riders and helping move our sport forward... The guys done a TON of stuff in a short period of time...

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Its cool he is offering the service. I had quite a bit of time on a travis, and the main problem was that it was like 8 feet tall. Fully slammed my bike still rode like a chopper. Glad I broke it and was offered a dorado back then.
Actualy it is only 1mm higher than 06-07 zokes. The new ones too if Im not wrong. 585mm vs 584mm ac height.

Oct 14, 2001
Colchester, Ct
wouldn't it not easier to just put the avalanche cartridge in or does it not fit in a travis?
We do not plan to make an adaptor kit to fit these forks. We feel with a few modifications, some new cartridge seals and better o-ring choices along with some valving improvements, this damper will work better than before without having to completely replace it.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I never understood why people hated the fork soo much? TPC+ damper is really good though the build quality is ****ty. It is high but not higher than marz forks and people rock them (though you can slam them more but most kids dont anyway).

Lelandjt

adorbs
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
On any other double crown fork you can lower it till the tire is close to the crown. I think the Travis can't be lowered that far because the arch hits first so it is taller than any other double crown. Exactly how much taller I don't know, but every pic of one on a bike looks really tall.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
I loved my travis for the short time I had it. As said abouve the crowns foul the reverse arch if you set it as low as you could a boxxer etc my 180mm travis slammed was about the same as the 200 mm 888 it replaced can't say I noticed the 20mm of travell missing but it was a bit flexy

MM_Freak

Chimp
Oct 28, 2008
Western Mass.
Interesting. I blew the cartridge in my Travis earlier this year and had CR1 replace the damage. Maybe I'll send it to Craig over the off season and have it get the Avalanche treatment.