Quantcast

Manitou Travis Triple Ti Question

Jan 4, 2007
California
I picked up a sweet Travis today and have a few questions.

Does anyone here know how to tune the Intrinsic cartridge? No matter what direction I turn the knob it does nothing... I know it needs air to work, but I cant seem to understand how to add air to the cartridge.

2ndly does anyone have a direct mount stem for the Travis laying around? I somehow only got half the stem...

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Tune the intrinsic catridge? It's a sealed catridge, I don't think there's much you can do, other than turn the rebound knob. The only compression-related adjustment is the bottom out knob, so you're not gonna feel the difference unless you actually riding it.

Jan 4, 2007
California
Tune the intrinsic catridge? It's a sealed catridge, I don't think there's much you can do, other than turn the rebound knob. The only compression-related adjustment is the bottom out knob, so you're not gonna feel the difference unless you actually riding it.
The knob turns freely and does not seem to have a limiting point. :plthumbsdown:

The fork feels amazing, but I cant seem to figure out what the damn knob is good for...

timo12

Chimp
Mar 29, 2008
rebleed your cartrige, this will help a lot..
most travis' are bad bleeded!

you CAN tune your cartrige with a little bit technical expirience and some material! you only need a few shims and such!
then you can convert your cartrige from position sensitive damping to speed sensitive damping!

reagards

Nixxk

Chimp
Jun 11, 2006
Go the Manitou web site and download the service guide for the Travis
Its a pretty descent damper.
There is no air, you need a vaccum tool but a Big syringe and a plastic bar end
will do the trick
And if you are going to open it i would recommend to take out the rebound piston and clean it with brake cleaner or something and put some locktite on
the nut that holds the assembly.
then just follow the instruction.

You should see a difference from one end of the range to the other

Jan 4, 2007
California
Took apart the fork today with the help of the manitou service manual. Great help that was....

I have the AIR BACKED Intrinsic dampening. Which requires a special air adapter valve to add air to the cartridge. Without that special took the intrinsic dampening doesnt do squat.

At least I got all that black grimy sludge out of the fork....

djivotno

Monkey
Oct 3, 2008
A bit late but still - I did have the same issue with my Travis. When i got it the Pressure was low and i ended up with Air in the oil. I did a race that way and after that i got it opened. Air bled the system, added some more oil on top of the floating piston. As for the adapter - i used a Marzo shock pump adapter but drilled it to let the needle run free in it and got an extra O-ring to seal it as the original adapter gets screwed deeper than on the Travis. The only issue with this setup is the fact you can't lower the pressure with the pump and you need to remove it - the edited adapter will work as it equalize the pressure on both sides of the valve needle