Quantcast

Manitou's new GL...

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Hey all...

I've heard some things of the GL's having strength issues in the past... The new 08's just look SO sick... I'm tweaking my original frame design to have much shorter stays and make it a bit more enjoyable for riding street. I'd like to keep my current bike as a loner or a bike that I'll turn into a dedicated FR HT... ANYHOW!! What's up with these new GL's? It will help to steepen my head angle and lighten up my rig by a good 2+ pounds. So at that, is anyone out there riding a '08... If not, what's the word on them?

Thanks.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Well.. I guess thats why I posted. If there are any changes... what are they?

And.. is "manipoo" really that horride? I really love the looks of the GL and I like how it keeps a short A2C which would be nice for a more "street" rig.

gackrider24

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
NJ
i have an 06 with no complaints other than a little oil that came out when it was first breaking in, but since then its taken all the abuse ive dished out so i dont see any durability issues. The stock springs may not be as stiff as some people like, but there fine for me. The 08's appear to be the same fork as far as i know so i would say go for it.

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
At that note.. .anyone have a used one they'd like to get rid of ??
I've got a brand new one and a used one I'd sell. I've never had any issues with the GL. Discovered a nice and reliable way to preload the spring a bit more too. Love the fork, but have a new sponsor.

PM if interested.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Manitou makes decent stuff. There will always be haters, but they've treated me well. Even replaced an old fork for free once. (80mm Jumper)

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
speaking of manitou - buy my 80mm sherman jumper from me - the ultimate jump fork.
quick question on the topic, does anyone know if extra firm springs from sherman jumper would fit a gold label? i got a extra firm spring i'm tryin to sell and i'm not sure if it fits both or just the jumper....