Quantcast

Mansell Wetlands Project has started

think1up

Chimp
Feb 16, 2005
From Bob Grieco, RAMBO Pres., posted at http://www.sorba.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1765

Construction fencing is now up and is to stay up until project is complete.

PLEASE do not tear it down or ride into areas that are deemed "construction areas"...that means the DOWNHILL area. Basically for short time we will only be able to ride the beginner loop and the 2 spur trails withing that loop.

we will post all info and re-routes as soon as all details are nailed down. i am meeting with the city on friday and will post over the weekend what next step s will be.

thanks for everyones cooperation!!!!!!!!!! and if you see people crossing the barriers...help us educate everyone!

thanks

bobg

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
=[Stinky]= said:
Does that mean there will be no more 'downhill area'
From what Bob Grieco told me it's going to be temporary. After the city is done we will be able to go in and rebuild. I'll believe it when I see it. City councils don't like to waste land space like that. They can't get any taxes off of the land. Better to grade it and put in a U-store-it or an Eckerds. Or a child abuse center, I mean baseball fields :rolleyes:

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Ha ha ha good one. Actually we got an inside man on the council. Also,
Roswell is currently applying to recognized as a national "bike Friendly" city which of course is a horrible joke that we must all suffer through.

The DH area will be temp. closed as is the WHOLE TRAIL SYSTEM.
After the park opens again everything is going to have to be rerouted and we currently plan on keeping as much of the freeride section as is, well hopefully better than that.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
DVNT said:
Ha ha ha good one. Actually we got an inside man on the council. Also,
Roswell is currently applying to recognized as a national "bike Friendly" city which of course is a horrible joke that we must all suffer through.

The DH area will be temp. closed as is the WHOLE TRAIL SYSTEM.
After the park opens again everything is going to have to be rerouted and we currently plan on keeping as much of the freeride section as is, well hopefully better than that.

Did I mention that the Forsyth Freeride park will be open March 26th?
I had a chat with Bruce ?? with Sorba at Blankets Creek Saturday and he did mention this.

Sounds like for all intensive purposes, Mansell is closed. Lets keep our fingers crossed that it does actually re-open.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
I'm involved with SORBA's local chapter RAMBO as a ....um....Freeride Coordinator for the trails in Forsyth. It's not a question of if they re-open it's WHEN.... Just like any Gov't contracted project.

For the time being they don't want anyone back their while they are clear cutting trees for the retention ponds. The beginners loop and some of the intermediate loops will open up after that.

We'll have to wait for contruction to be completed before we can do a damage assesment on the dh area and figure on re-routes / building it.
Some of the XC re-routes will be done at a work party in April.
I'll post a reminder in April, but it might benefit the big bike group to go to that WP and at least get a plan / proposal together for the city of Roswell.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
X-POST SORBA.......

WHAT DOES “WETLAND ENHANCEMENT” REALLY MEAN??

March 9, 2005

While hiking at Big Creek Park (in Roswell) the other day I was dismayed with the realities of the long touted “Wetlands Enhancement Project”.

It is really the clear-cutting and mass grading of three 3 to 5? acre “fore-bays” in the middle of the existing forest. In addition there will be additional clear-cutting on the north side of the existing soccer field at Northwood Elementary to expand the field area with the tens of thousands of cubic yards of excess material being removed from the fore-bay areas. NOTE: two of “fore-bays” on this project are grass covered areas that fill with water during rain and the third is a holding pond for “recharging” the existing wetlands in drought.

When I participated in the process to acquire the Big Creek property – I felt like we were saving a unique forest / wetlands eco system from the developer’s bulldozer – I guess there is no stopping bulldozers.

I am sure that with the hundreds of thousands of dollars that was spent in engineering that there is some justifiable reason for this project. Personally, I think that this is a well intentioned idea that has manifested itself via the government “snowball effect” to where we are now. In the long run, I expected that we would lose some of the natural areas of Big Creek to parking and ball fields in the areas near Old Alabama and the power lines -- I am surprised by what “Wetland Enhancement” really means for the trees right in the heart of the forest that was.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I was afraid this would happen but it was inevitable. I'm thinking the area in the pictures shown here could possibly be the view from the trail heading to the DH area along side the swamp.
I'll check it out tomorrow after work and give a full update for those interested.

Attachments

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
I went to the RAMBO meeting last night and this is what is going on.

The pics that were sent to me (above thread) are from the wetlands themselves. The construction will come close to but should not interefere with the dual run / gully etc.
We will begin working on a proposal for the city through SoFA (Sorba's freeride chapter) to manage this section of trail in conjunction with RAMBO the local XC chapter.

Until then please do not cross the construction barrier as that merely provides our opponents with ammunition to turn Mansell into another Soap Creek / Yellow River / and kick all the mountain bikers out.

If you got any questions or would like to help feel free to pm me.

-j

Attachments

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah, the way I understood it, Bob talked with the city and got them to open up the beginner route for us.
I know some guys were out there working on re-routes last weekend.

There will be another XC work party out there in April to continue the reroutes in trying to make the beginner bike trail and walking trail two separate things.