Quantcast

Manual Food Dicer, Slicer Suggestions.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Gotta find something for a person that is no longer able to use a knife.
So I am looking for a nice durable manual veggie, french fry chopper.

Thus far all I can find is cheap plastic crap, Nemco Easy Chopper or far East clones of the Nemco.
I don't really want to spen Nemco money as they are brutally expensive in the UK after you get a couple of blades.
Single blade- https://www.caterkwik.co.uk/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_NEMCO57500

Cheers.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If you want a chopper kinda like the one you posted, but not the cost of a TV, maybe you can find one labeled as a potato slicer? From what I see they do the same thing...

For slicing maybe a mandolin with a big handle/sliding piece?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Get him an ulu knife. Those are known to work well with carpal tunnel syndrome. They often are given as gifts and come with rounded chopping plates.

Something like this...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I think he'd break that, I guess he could break a lot of them before he got to the cost of a Nemco though, fuck British pricing!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Cusinart food proccesor with the attachments and such to facilitate the needs of your friend. Buy a good one. It needs to be easy to clean. I have an older one that is no longer available.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I've spent hours looking and I have a habit of buying electrical items that don't last long and I hate giving gifts that break because I feel like an ass.
I'm going to get a Nemco bank emptier with a 1/4" slice and a 1/4" dice blade as they use the same pusher.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
would a mandolin do the trick?
Nah, he's got bad tremors, has spasms hard enough to break stuff in his body, so a mandolin would probably end up with much blood on the food.
Plus because of the strokes he has to have rooms pretty dark as he's become very sensitive to light.
He had open heart maybe a year ago then had a few strokes that initially went unnoticed.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Got told the Nemco was going to be too big so I bought a somewhat smaller and loads cheaper Alligator set-
1671101322089.png