Quantcast

Manufacturers Lead times. Where is my BIKE?

Meccanoman

Chimp
Nov 4, 2007
Dublin
Hey -
I am hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.

I ordered an 09 Specialized SX Trail in September. At that time the estimated delivery time for the bike was middle of Oct. Within a few days of ordering it the delivery date was pushed out to the end of Oct. Then by the first week in Oct the DD was pushed out to the end of Nov. Then it was moved again to the 6th of Dec, I checked it agin last night and the Due date has now been moved to the 2nd of Jan 09. WTF????:banghead:

What I am hoping is that there is someone here that can shed some light on why such a large manufacturer cannot work out when a bike will be available?
Is this usual?
What are the chances of them managing to deliver before the due date on the system?

Any info on this much appreciated. As you probably imagine I am pulling my hair out at this stage -

Thanks #

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
What I am hoping is that there is someone here that can shed some light on why such a large manufacturer cannot work out when a bike will be available?
If you've never worked in a production/manufacturing company with a supply chain, the amount of complications would probably shock you. Specialized is relying on so many people to supply so many parts, and so many manufacturing sites to produce so many items that, at the end of the day, estimates are only a guess. The bike industry is worse than most, probably largely because the amount of competition isn't super high so there's no great incentive to produce better dates.

Is this usual?
Yes. The old joke is "two weeks." Everything is two weeks out. After two weeks, they promise two more weeks.

What are the chances of them managing to deliver before the due date on the system?
Not very good. Sorry, it's just the way it is - they'll try, but the reality is that their dates are only guesses to begin with, and the nature of the industry isn't really forcing them to lean on their suppliers to deliver better dates.

Meccanoman

Chimp
Nov 4, 2007
Dublin
Hey Binary,

Thanks for taking the time to try and explain how this happens. I still find it incredible that they could be out by over four months, on the estimates and it is still 6/7 weeks to go. I log onto the Spesh dealer portal every other day expecting to see the date pushed out again, I imagine, based on what I have seen so far that it will be Feburary before I ever get my SXT. I suspect that it is the Frame fabrication that is causing the delays, as the smaller sizes will be available before christmas.

BTW the date has moved again. its the 9th of Jan now!!!!

And another thing. I weigh in at over 110Kg with all my gear on, does anyone know if the 600 spring on the large SX trail2 is OK or do I need to consider a heavier spring? And can you pre order these and have Spesh fit it before delivery?

Thanks a mill

Mek