Quantcast

Map & trail question

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Ok so I got my handy dandy Trails Illustrated Linville Gorge/Mount Mitchell map # 779. After checking out some of the rides I had already done it was kind of hard to miss the longest line on the map.

Anyone ever ride the "Buncombe Horse Range?" It follows the Maple Camp ridge. According to the map it starts right off of Forest service road 442 climbs towards Mt Mitchell then drops drops to Carolina Hemlocks camping area.

There also looks like a way to drop right onto it near Mt Mitchell, that unless I am reading the map wrong would be all downhill to the Carolina Hemlocks camping area. The whole trail is 14.1 miles, but just the dh section looks like at least 10 miles and looks like it drops around 2500 feet.

Or is this part of some ride that has another name?

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
i hope it is in pisgah so we can shuttle it!!!!!!
Did you get my message? Well you could certainly shuttle it, but it looks like it would take a LONG time to set the shuttle.

Oh and for the record the brand NEW map I just bought DIRECTLY from Trails Illustrated shows the trail in question as a BIKE trail.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
:imstupid:

have no idea how to even read one...much less own one.

I bought the Pisgah map last year and got annoyed b/c even though it was brand new...it didn't have half the right trails on it. I've lived here so long I just wing it.
yeah that has always been the case. we hiked art loed trail from base of cold mountain to brevard one time and trail that was on the map at the base of cold mountain headed up....well lets just say there was a trail head for all of about .5 miles then it vanished into thin air...no trail.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
ok neither of you are addressing the ? at hand. Biggins, do you think that is the trail you talked about a few months ago?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
the trails to which you refer are highly illegal advise to stay off

yaaaaaay someone comes in to interject on their first post and dispute a map that was designed by the forest service!!!!!! woohoo good going now go rot somewhere.

it is not the one i rode a while ago.... the one i rode drops down the south side of mitchell the one you are describing sounds like it drops down the north side of mitchell. if the map says it is ok for a bike then i say lets get it going....

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Hey Biggins how ya coming with the Pisgah shuttling business now that you got the new truck and all.
Before you took down your website it showed that you planned to haul 12-14 riders at a time.:monkey:
Dayum! That is a GOOD idea. Biggins, all you need is like a flat open trailer that can hold a few bikes and a few more people. You run em up to the top, haul booty to the bottom set up with your fancy camera, snap some pics VOILA! CHA CHING!

meangreen

Chimp
Nov 6, 2006
check out thesouth toe river,mount mitchell&big ivy trail map that is actually made by the USFS for the pisgah national forest but he buke at your own risk