Quantcast

Marathons

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Just some Q's....

If you've done one would you do it again? Did you hire a coach, follow a training program, or just wing it? What did you think of the course, or does that not matter to you?

I entered and completed my first 1/2 on Sunday on whim and I'm hooked. Just looking to see what others thought of doing a full.

Thanks, Amy

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I didn't have a coach...just winged it after reading up online and in some magazines. No, I can't do one again because of my knee injury, but I would if I could. I must say though, I liked trail running events far better than the pounding of the street. Just like mountain bike racing...the course does matter to me. I like good scenery.

Congrats on your half!!!!!

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
Congrats on your half. I have done 2 halfs now and plan on a full marathon in the fall of this year. No coach for me, but I will follow a plan off of Runners World. I'll run 3 to 4 days a week with one long run, one recovery run, one medium distant run and one day of temp or speed work. I have trouble if I don't have a set plan I seemed to get distracted and end up doing something instead of running.

As far as the course goes, both my halfs were hilly courses, but the full course I plan on running is pretty flat. I actually like the hilly courses because I used different muscles and it kept it interesting.

Good luck and keep us updated.

oiswego

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
New Yawk
Just some Q's....

If you've done one would you do it again? Did you hire a coach, follow a training program, or just wing it? What did you think of the course, or does that not matter to you?

I entered and completed my first 1/2 on Sunday on whim and I'm hooked. Just looking to see what others thought of doing a full.

Thanks, Amy
the course definitely matters!! imagine running 26.2 with mostly steep uphills, haha!
but more importantly, the weather matters.
my first was a race in ny in october several years ago--normally in ny the october weather is a little brisk, but not too cold; usually it's in the high 40's hte 50's. perfect running weather.

this particular day was just above 32 degrees F, with a nice freezing drizzle. the entire field had to stop every 2 miles or so just to stretch out since the rain would make everyone's muscles tighten up.

i only did one marathon, since then i moved onto triathlons---now that's a freaking rush when you finish !!