Quantcast

March or Septemeber?

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
All this media blabber about a "War on Christmass" got me to thinking. How can they get all bent out of shape when the premise is wrong from the get go? It's my understanding that December 25th was chosen to counter The Feast of the Natalis Solis Invicti, and not the big J's actual day of birth. Makes sense enough, but begs the question of when was he born. Have the theologians come up with a definitive answer yet?

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
The "War On Christmas" became evident when I was perusing the holiday card section of Hallmark.

I was just standing there, checking out the designs when a lady in her 60's and her husband roll up.

Lady looks at card selection for a grand total of 12 seconds.

Lady then voices complaint about "There isn't anything anymore that says Merry Christmas!!"

We're in the middle of a Hallmark.
There are enough nativity sets to satisfy all of christendom.
There are crosses hanging from the wall.
There are enough angel ornaments to choke the virgin mary.

Seriously. She's in the middle of White Bread Christ Fed USA store, and she's btching about "nothing says Christmas on it"

:confused:

a selection of hallmark's wares...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
MudGrrl said:
The "War On Christmas" became evident when I was perusing the holiday card section of Hallmark.

I was just standing there, checking out the designs when a lady in her 60's and her husband roll up.

Lady looks at card selection for a grand total of 12 seconds.

Lady then voices complaint about "There isn't anything anymore that says Merry Christmas!!"

We're in the middle of a Hallmark.
There are enough nativity sets to satisfy all of christendom.
There are crosses hanging from the wall.
There are enough angel ornaments to choke the virgin mary.

Seriously. She's in the middle of White Bread Christ Fed USA store, and she's btching about "nothing says Christmas on it"

:confused:

a selection of hallmark's wares...

as a side note... the 12 seconds not with standing, keep in mind that for lots of people, Christmas is not a religous holiday... so nativities, crosses, angels, etc. have no value.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i could care less what the commercial world decides to do with a commercial holiday. as for me and my family, we'll still read the christmas story from the bible on christmas eve. does it matter that it may not be the correct time of year to celebrate the birth....it's kind of like the rowanda refugees "the lost boys", no one knew how old they were so they all have a b-day of jan 1. the point isn't the actual birthday,..just that we're recognizing his birth. call it tradition or freaky fundamentalism....it's just what we'll do so who cares what hallmark carries anymore.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I've heard both March (or before the spring Jewish feasts....).........and I've heard September (or before the fall Jewish feasts)..........that's about the extent of my knowledge on the subject.....I might have to look into that though.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
jacksonpt said:
keep in mind that for lots of people, Christmas is not a religous holiday... so nativities, crosses, angels, etc. have no value.

Like me.

Christmas is not a religious holiday for me.

I associate it with trees, cookies, family....

Even the word Christmas holds no religious association for me... I know that sounds odd.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
No one is paying attention to the war on Festivus. There are no Festivus TV specials, Festivus greeting cards are scarce and has anyone tried finding a Festivus pole in the stores, nearly impossible! I want to start a boycott on all the businesses that are trying to ruin my Festivus!!!

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I'm surprised Old Man G Funk hasn't spouted off something about Festivus not having ever existed, or it was only an oral tradition for like a decade, or the first followers of Festivus used a 6XXX series aluminum pole instead of the current 7XXX series used in modern Festivus celebrations..................:p

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
MudGrrl said:
Like me.

Christmas is not a religious holiday for me.

I associate it with trees, cookies, family....

Even the word Christmas holds no religious association for me... I know that sounds odd.

I am right there with you.

Its all about Santa :)