Quantcast

Marijuana and other drugs. Do they have a place in sports?

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
Originally posted by buildyourown
Niave canucks, you'll get alot more than your stash confiscated if you get caught with posession in the states. Do it 3x in Cali and you can go to prison for life.
hahaha. That seriously sucks.

One more reason to live in Canada..

stoner_303

Chimp
Nov 22, 2003
Colorado
just to butt in here.......um.....to answer the first question, are you asking are theyt in sports, or "do they have a place",no pot does not have a "place" in any sport........:confused: why such a stupid question?!? but then again, there is allways the "cool" factor that some of you losers strive for....:rolleyes: oh, and yes, my last name is stoner. ha ha ha !

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by buildyourown
Niave canucks, you'll get alot more than your stash confiscated if you get caught with posession in the states. Do it 3x in Cali and you can go to prison for life.
Wrong! A small amount of weed that is not packaged for distribution in CA is a misdemeanor. About like rolling a stop sign.
The are tougher in AZ for it but I don't know the details so I won't go into it.

To give you an idea how worried cops are about smoking pot. I did call the cops on kids that were smoking pot behind my house just the other day. Hey, I only called because I'm sure they are the little f--ks that have been tagging the alley. Well, they would not send a cruiser down my alley because it was not a big enough deal to them! I live about 5 blocks from the Anaheim police station too.

I still say drugs should have no place in Pro sports. And I'll say that I would rather be around someone who was stoned on weed then a friggen drunk anyday.

Softy

Monkey
Apr 22, 2003
Don't call it a come back
Originally posted by spookydave
it was not a big enough deal to them! I live about 5 blocks from the Anaheim police station too.

Yep they will only act on something that puts money in their pocket. Actually enforcing the law requires them to work. A 5 kid pot bust would be a mound of paperwork, with no revenue gained. There are so many examples of this it makes me sick. FTFMFPWABOMH. ( the P is for PIGS, the BOMH is Broken Off Mop Handle ) You figure the rest.:eek:

Originally posted by stoner_303
just to butt in here.......um.....to answer the first question, are you asking are theyt in sports, or "do they have a place",no pot does not have a "place" in any sport........:confused: why such a stupid question?!? but then again, there is allways the "cool" factor that some of you losers strive for....:rolleyes: oh, and yes, my last name is stoner. ha ha ha !
well i would beg to differ weather pot has a place in sports, as far as cycling and the specific collegiate team i race with it most defiantly has its place, allot of the xc and road riders use it to get there base training done and I would say a third or more of the gravity kids smoke for kicks.

personally if i get beat racing DH by someone who is stoned it does not bother me at all what bothers me is that i got beat, I don’t think pot helps you perform but its also a very personal thing. Some kids rock on it some cant ride at all high.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
weed has no place anywhere, definately not on or involved with a bike...if you can't get a high by riding your bike then maybe you should quit and take up smoking full time.

no role model should be a stoner. take your hippie drugs and move to california. I think they should have fined him more.

Nov 28, 2001
GWN-ON-TO
Originally posted by Sandwich
weed has no place anywhere, definately not on or involved with a bike...if you can't get a high by riding your bike then maybe you should quit and take up smoking full time.

no role model should be a stoner. take your hippie drugs and move to california. I think they should have fined him more.
BC, dude. Cali is so off the back with weed. BC Bud is Canada's number one cash crop export.

if the guys are totally into weed and getting high, they should get up there - it's almost decriminalized.

personally, i think for an event to be 'sporting', there should be no, i repeat no, drugs of any kind.

but for a competition to be fair, then all competitors should be held to the same standards.

so, no, i don't think there is a fair or sporting place for drugs in mountain bike racing.

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
Originally posted by EastcoastKid
racing bike full time is not all fun and games. Have you ever done base training spinning 3-5 hour rides and not being able to bring your heart rate up or you will ruin yuor training thats when getting high helps
or they can just suck it up and be happy to be riding a bike at all.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Originally posted by EastcoastKid
racing bike full time is not all fun and games. Have you ever done base training spinning 3-5 hour rides and not being able to bring your heart rate up or you will ruin yuor training thats when getting high helps
btw - pot raises your heart rate and decreases your max heart rate. Y'all might want to do a little research.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
who says professional athletes have to be role models? no one expects that from other professions unless it involves a direct requirement to be one.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i don't see many kids watching accountants work or having their dads take them to see grocers ring up groceries.

These are people who compete at the top of their game in full view of the world. I guess if competitive brick laying were a sport I would certainly say the same thing.

Secondly, everyone is a role model to a kid. Every person and everything plays a role in creating the psyche of the child. Certainly somebody that the child could see himself as being would qualify as a role model.

Role model or not, keep your tweed out of the sport. Nothing is funnier than watching a man addicted to weed try to justify legalizing it. I know, because I hear my roomate do it ALL THE TIME. Anybody have any ideas for shutting him up?

Originally posted by Wumpus
btw - pot raises your heart rate and decreases your max heart rate. Y'all might want to do a little research.
but not enough to make a signifigant impact on training like that. and if you want to really get into it you will have to talk to the road kids beacuse i dont know the everything about the specifics of the training program but it seams to work

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Nothing is funnier than watching a man addicted to weed try to justify legalizing it.
nothings funnier than watching an alcoholic drunk driver plow through a family of 5 too.

i think peoples prioroties are slightly messed up at times.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
man are you just trying to cause a ruckus? Don't think because I don't like pot I think drunk driving is ok....I'm just as against that(if not moreso).

All I have to say for that stupid argument is that two days after drinking you are not slow as hell...and I can't say that for pot. Don't tell me it's not true, that you've been smoking it for years and you aren't slow afterwards, because if you got off it your reaction time would be quicker. It's a fact.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's a fact.
Yeah, uh, I'm not going to participate in this ludicrous thread other than to say:

A lot of the so called "facts" about marijuana are perpetuated by biased studies, both for and against it. The ones that want to see it stay illegal have all sorts of studies about how detrimental the effects are, and the ones who want to see it legalized have the exact same studies that refute those findings.

Don't assume you have some kind of "real" facts about this drug, I've read dozens and dozens of studies and books written about the subject - you're no more educated than anyone else. They're all biased.

And you won't see any real studies, ever, unless the drug is legalized (fat chance).

Fact is, people should spend less time bitching about the choices other people make, when it does not directly impact their lives.

:monkey:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I speak from my own experiences, and what I've seen of other people. I knew somebody would bring up the "fact" issue, but I think it's difficult to deny that pot makes people stupid.

And if you make the choice to smoke and then go out for taco bell, then go out and plow through a bunch of school children getting on the bus because all you can think about is the cheesey gordita crunch, how is that not affecting other peoples lives?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
And if you make the choice to smoke and then go out for taco bell, then go out and plow through a bunch of school children getting on the bus because all you can think about is the cheesey gordita crunch, how is that not affecting other peoples lives?
Oooh, someone watched the anti-drug campains on the television. Makes me feel all warm and tingly.

Want to talk about facts? Drunk drivers kill (not injure) over 15,000 people a year.

It's the most frequently commited violent crime in the U.S.

Do you volunteer in one of the local drunk driving groups? No? Then go take a stand against something that has meaning.

I'm out of here...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hahaha, good stoner defense, my high as a kite roomate always laughs at those commercials.

Just think if weed were as common as alcohol, we'd all be doing 20 on every major interstate, stuck behind some hippie toking on his bubbler every 10 minutes.

And did I even say that alcohol was ok, or even better? What the Fvck kind of a defense is that? "Sir, we have irrefutable proof that OJ killed his wife." "Yeah, well he didn't kill your wife, so it's OK" That makes no sense. Your comments about alcohol are the same as mine about weed. Neither should be abused while driving or before driving, and neither has any place in our sport. Being drunk while driving or riding is FAR WORSE than being high, but does that make smoking right? Are you saying they should allow it? Let's all get high and have a bike race? Maybe auto racing, imagine formula 1 with mandatory hits after 10 laps, it would be the slowest race ever.

No drug has any place in any sport. Sorry if I feel that weed is stupid in general too. There is so much more you can do with your life that would actually be productive.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
and don't get on my grill about alcohol, they tried prohibition. It didn't work.

And for what it's worth, i'm all for stricter DWI laws, and I never drive or ride with somebody who's been drinking.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I just can't stay away...

Hahaha, good stoner defense, my high as a kite roomate always laughs at those commercials.
Hmm, sounds like you have me pegged as a stoner. You shouldn't make assumptions like that, because it makes you look like an ass when you're wrong.

Being drunk while driving or riding is FAR WORSE than being high, but does that make smoking right?
Nope, it doesn't. But people love to take stands about things they can't effectively do something about. It let's 'em off the hook for actually taking some kind of action. There's no local group for "Mothers Against Stoned Driving" so it's a hell of a lot easier to scream about that and not have to do anything, instead of getting passionate about drunk driving and having someone ask whether you'll put your money where your mouth is.

Are you saying they should allow it? Let's all get high and have a bike race? Maybe auto racing, imagine formula 1 with mandatory hits after 10 laps, it would be the slowest race ever.
I find your ideas intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. :D

That would be sweet. I think you should sell this idea to NASCAR.

No drug has any place in any sport.
Go back and read my first post in this thread. Of course it doesn't have a "place" anywhere, any more than alcohol should have a "place" in a sport.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
man are you just trying to cause a ruckus? Don't think because I don't like pot I think drunk driving is ok....I'm just as against that(if not moreso).

All I have to say for that stupid argument is that two days after drinking you are not slow as hell...and I can't say that for pot. Don't tell me it's not true, that you've been smoking it for years and you aren't slow afterwards, because if you got off it your reaction time would be quicker. It's a fact.
I'm afraid you don't understand the first thing about weed. If you're not down with it, that's cool by me- why risk the legal trouble, afterall? But don't start spouting bullshi+ or I'm gonna call you on it. I smoked it almost daily for 20 years and have not suffered from my exposure. I am certainly not "slow" as a result of my usage. If you know stoners who are slow, they were so before the toked up or they have a serious problem with abuse. All things in moderation, my man. Even healthy things(which weed smoking is obviously not) can be detrimental if overdone.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by GiantDHRider
marjiuana harms the lung...period.

theres no refuting that. you're breathing in smoke (with known carcinogens).

but like i said, i have no problem with personal choice.
You are so correct. I was going to post this today just so every one knows and maybe it hits home a little more. Quoting you is even better.
My best friend died of lung cancer last year. He was older then me. I'm 40 and he died a few days before his 45th birthday.
Watching someone battle, suffer and then lose their life to cancer is pretty horrific. A grown man went from 175 pounds to less then 90.
I've smoked more then my share of pot and that sure will make a me step away from the pipe for the rest of my life.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
OK, well, since the subject of Alcohol arose, what about this:

An Athlete can go out the night before an event and get TOTALLY slammed. The drunkest they have ever been, get up the next morning, race, win, and get tested. Nothing will come up on their test.

Another athlete could smoke pot at a party 3 weeks before an event, not touch anything else for 3 weeks, race, win, and get tested. They will fail their test and forefit their win.

Is this fair?

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
Originally posted by BigMike
OK, well, since the subject of Alcohol arose, what about this:

An Athlete can go out the night before an event and get TOTALLY slammed. The drunkest they have ever been, get up the next morning, race, win, and get tested. Nothing will come up on their test.

Another athlete could smoke pot at a party 3 weeks before an event, not touch anything else for 3 weeks, race, win, and get tested. They will fail their test and forefit their win.

Is this fair?
Well, yes. Because alcohol is not on the banned list, THC is.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
OOh this debate got really interesting now that somebody said smoking pot is wrong. Whatever, the point is that it's illegal rather it's morally objectionable or not is a personal decision but weed is still illegal irreguardless of the actual or fictional health consequences.

Personally I don't and have never used drugs, if you do that's cool just don't let me see it and don't get on my case because you have an addiction (or whatever you call it) and I don't.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
i did smoke for years, from 15 to 20 years old. The following year i went to university and did just fine.

the only 'slow' person from drugs i know seriously abused LSD for a long time and it affected his speech. He didnt get dumber, just his speech center got brain damage so he had trouble expressing himself at a normal speed.

You'd be amazed at the amount of 'normal' people that actually smoke recreationnally/socially, you just dont know it because your not privy to it. Its not refer madness, for the most part it can be so benign people dont realize its happening right in front of them. The stoned hippy thing is a stereotype. Since you live with a roomate, it sounds like your still fairly young and dont have a strong grasp of the real world.

btw, i'm not pro-pot, i just believe that its criminalisation is causing alot more problems than its solving. The prohibition was scrapped for that reason; the consequences from the ban outweighed the social effects of tolerating it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
decriminalization would creat a lot more problems for those of us that are in jobs/fields where you will NEVER EVER be allowed to smoke it. We can't even take most over the counter drugs before taking the yoke. But if it is decriminalized, then a lot of friends, family, aqquantences, etc, would smoke and be more promiscuous about it(for lack of a better word, but just that they'd hide it less and share it more), and that would create a LOT more problems than it would solve, at least when I think about it from my own perspective.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by GiantDHRider
marjiuana harms the lung...period.

theres no refuting that. you're breathing in smoke (with known carcinogens).

but like i said, i have no problem with personal choice.
No one said you have to burn it and inhale the smoke. There are much healthier and more enjoyable means of use, as I'm sure some people here can attest to.

Living in New Jersy harms the lung...period.

theres no refuting that. you're breathing in polluted air (with known carcinogens).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by Jm_
decriminalization would creat a lot more problems for those of us that are in jobs/fields where you will NEVER EVER be allowed to smoke it. We can't even take most over the counter drugs before taking the yoke. But if it is decriminalized, then a lot of friends, family, aqquantences, etc, would smoke and be more promiscuous about it(for lack of a better word, but just that they'd hide it less and share it more), and that would create a LOT more problems than it would solve, at least when I think about it from my own perspective.
Hm. I dunno about that. Pot is pretty widely available and those who have families and friends that smoke it usually do not do so alone in the privacy of their bedrooms. It tends to, like drinking, become a social activity.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Originally posted by Jm_
But think how many more pilots they would need once the hundreds of thousands of non violent drug offenders are released from prison and want to fly to a rational country where human rights are respected.

Way to be selfish man!

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by Jm_
honestly, i dont think it would change peoples habits much. Its so easy to come by (at least here), that the people who smoke will still smoke, and those who dont wont start. Maybe theres more paranoya about it where you are, but here its use is taken lightly and theres little concern from the users POV.

I admit that what might be right for Canada might not be for the States, but also we dont like sending people to prison as much as americans do. All i know is the black-market crime is a serious issue and up here its Hells Angels dope growing territory; people are dying from the violence perpetuated by it, not by the drug itself. Really the biggest obstacle for our drug policies is the States, but i guess social progression is always slowed by the lowest common denominator.

and just cus its legal, doesnt mean pilots will come to work stoned; they'll probably still stick to their 3 scotches before take-off:D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by zedro

and just cus its legal, doesnt mean pilots will come to work stoned; they'll probably still stick to their 3 scotches before take-off:D
Well, it's highly illegal for pilots to take drugs and fly planes obviously, and every air-carrier out there has a serious drug policy. It doesn't matter what the laws say so much, it's just that it will never be allowed for pilots (too many reasons to list). So now we're going to be all apprehensive about failing drug tests and such because we are hanging out with people that are smoking up all the time. I do have a good number of friends that smoke. I don't hate them for it, it is their choice, but they also respect me and they aren't just getting stoned out of their mind when they are with me.

And yeah, it's amazing how much of a problem alcohol is...it's a direct result of the military pilots and military lifestyle. I just don't get it, and luckily most younger pilots do not have these same attitudes as the older military ones (and even the military has changed a lot in this respect).

Just because I think it is so ludicrous, I have a poster on my door that has a captain giving a "thumbs up" and it reads;

"I spent 30 years up there, and nothing tastes better than Millier Lite at Flight Level 420 (42,000ft)....Good call!"

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by Jm_
So now we're going to be all apprehensive about failing drug tests and such because we are hanging out with people that are smoking up all the time.
well, unless you already have those friends, i dont think it would be a problem. But i do understand how having any drug tests can be stressful, since you also have to worry about unrelated foods and products can that draw the same conclusions. You simply have to not hang out with those people (like your mom told you when your young lol). My buddy whos becoming a train conductor/engineer has to worry about the same situation, zero-tolerance so he has to be careful who he surrounds himself with. But the people he knows that do smoke will generally not subject it to him; but also he's also older so people are more mature about these things.

There was this experiment on how eating poppey seeds could trigger the new instant drug testers looking for opiates, and they all gave positive indicators. So this means you could lose that job application from failing a drug test cus you ate a bagel that morning, and you would never even know it. And this has happened.