Quantcast

Marin 2012 lineup: bastard child of IH and Trek?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
probably. marin hasn't been known for coming up with their own suspension designs. wasn't their last gen design based on c'dales old fulcrum design?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
probably. marin hasn't been known for coming up with their own suspension designs. wasn't their last gen design based on c'dales old fulcrum design?
It was more of a parallel-driven linkage. If I don't recall badly, the Fulcrum on had counter-rotating links. Anyway, it was FUGLY.

EDIT: Talking about FUGLY... I've just noticed my horrible spelling in the thread title. Is there any way to correct it?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Pretty crappy for a bike 900 years from now.

The guy that made the last few generations of Marin was from the UK - he also did Whyte bikes.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Pretty crappy for a bike 900 years from now.

The guy that made the last few generations of Marin was from the UK - he also did Whyte bikes.
Yup, but "that guy" (Jon Whyte, a former F-1 suspension engineer) walked away from Marin to open his own bike brand, and took away his dual-linkage, mastodontic rear triangle design with him. The PRST-4 was his previous attempt to dissuade people from riding bikes.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yup, but "that guy" (Jon Whyte, a former F-1 suspension engineer) walked away from Marin to open his own bike brand, and took away his dual-linkage, mastodontic rear triangle design with him. The PRST-4 was his previous attempt to dissuade people from riding bikes.
I've met him several times at Interbike and rode a Marin he handed me at the dirt demo (02 or 03?). I didn't like it.

rbx

Monkey
Only a DW link acts like a dw link

Its not because it has small parallel links it means that it will act like a DW link.

In fact not even Giant's maestro suspension acts like a dw link.

Small parallel links go as far back as Balfa 2-step circa 2004.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

hmmm, yeah that outland had to be one of the first, the first VPP came out in like late 95 and was campaigned under the mongoose moniker. Production started in 96 I think.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now

hmmm, yeah that outland had to be one of the first, the first VPP came out in like late 95 and was campaigned under the mongoose moniker. Production started in 96 I think.
mine was a 97 but it was sold under the Outland name. Mongoose was just a distributor of them IIRC

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Outland was the first, world force was the first with the link behind the bb, Karpiel was the first that actually worked well!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Cannondale had a 6" travel dual link DH bike in 1997 also (the Fulcrum - also raced with regular Cannondale DC fork, not just lefty):

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Cannondale had a 6" travel dual link DH bike in 1997 also (the Fulcrum - also raced with regular Cannondale DC fork, not just lefty):

i dont think ive ever owned a worse bike in my life then the Flucrum...and dont get me started on the dual shock version.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
man, you rode both the Fulcrum and the Gemini? dang...I need to buy you a beer and listen to some stories some time
our shop was a huge C'dale dealer and our rep was a constant fixture in the store for obvious reasons. it was around the time i got the DH bug in '96/'97 and he gave us both bikes (at different times) so we all could ride them for the whole season. they did make Mt Snow's Yard Sale much easier then the Super-V 700 i had :rofl:

bikebros

Chimp
Sep 16, 2011
I can't wait to try one. I've owned a few different models of Marin full suspension over the last 5 years - because the combination of their geometry and ride quality keeps on feeling better than other bikes I try. If this new design keeps the ride quality and allows for a lighter, less expensive bike then I'm happy.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
eh, it's just another dual link design. It's unlikely that it does anything radically different than any of the others, or radically better than the best designs that already exist and use the same setup. Marin has consistently been a little bit off mark for most real cyclists and until they offer an explanation as to why this is mo' better, I'd rather reminisce about old wacky stuff.