Quantcast

Marin Pine Mountain Review

Ridemonkey.com

News & Reviews
Jun 26, 2009

The Pine Mountain is Marin's new big-wheeled, steel single-speed, hard-tail entry for 2009. A comprehensive and insightful review is inside... ---

Words & photos by Steve Rossi

Big Wide Bars…Comfy Saddle…4130 Cromoly Frame…Big Wheels…RockShox Reba…AND ONE GEAR!!!

The ‘Pine Mountain’ is Marin’s big-wheeled, steel single-speed, hard-tail entry for 2009. The frame, made from 4130 Cromoly, is very responsive and provides a nice and supple roll. The Reba compliments the frame well, and smooths out the trail nicely. With it’s quick and easy to reach lock-out, the locked-out Reba provides the necessary stiffness for climbing, especially with only one gear. The 29 inch wheels stick to the ground very nicely while climbing, cornering and braking. Depending on chain length, the eccentric bottom bracket can make a significant difference in handling characteristics. If adjusted to the top side of the EBB shell, there is notably more ground clearance and slightly less cornering stability. While adjusting the EBB to the bottom side adds to stability, but results in less ground clearance.

Enjoying the perceived purity of a 29er, singlespeed DH run...

And the inevitable climb back up.

The Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic binders provide plenty of stopping power, but the modulation leaves something to be desired. The need for light braking only requires light pressure on the lever. While any increase in braking need requires exponential lever pressure. The Juicy 3s certainly get the job done, but even a less expensive mechanical brake (such as a BB7) provides better modulation.

The Pine Mountain and its pilot

The Pine Mountain comes equipped with ‘real’ pedals (Shimano M520). While they are not top of the line, they function well and are a lot nicer than some cheapo plastic flat pedal, like most single speeds come spec’d with. The stock gearing is also a plus. The 32x20 seems to be the norm for most 29 SS riders. It is a great gear to be able to ride most all terrain with. The WTB Prowler SL Folding 29x2.1 tires do a fine job of connecting with the terrain. I was able to run them (tubed) at real low pressure with no rolling or pinching issues. And they hooked-up great! The WTB LaserDisc Lite Wheels felt very light and plenty stiff. The Pine Mountain is not exactly a bantam weight at 26.5 pounds (on my scale) but getting the big machine going and climbing felt great, compared to it’s overall girth. This can be attributed mainly to the light and nimble LaserDisc Lite wheels. The WTB Laser V Comp saddle (with Love Channel) was incredibly comfy. A brief stint was had on the bike by my female co-tester, and she too thought highly of the saddle comfort. And another nice touch is the FSA SL-K Carbon seat post. Just a little more icing on the spec package…

Big wheels make for a fast ride

The Pine Mountain has a great feel to it. It is very responsive and ‘spins-up’ quickly, for a big wheeled rig. Cornering, climbing, and general handling are very nice. It is a great ride and is true to the “steel is real” adage. Draw backs: At $1785 USD, you are paying for the added bonuses like the pedals and seat post and pimp’n parts. The weight is also a bit of a concern. While it is not a tank and doesn’t feel all of it’s pounds (while underway), it could easily shed a few. And the brakes do leave a bit to be desired. Outside of being a little heavy on currency & weight, and a little light on brake feel…this reviewer loved the ride!

Attachments

Last edited:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
A big thanks to Steve for the write-up and photos and to his female co-evaluator!

I too spent a considerable amount of time on the Pine Mountain and found it to be an excellent steel 29er hardtail. It comes set up out of the box as a single speed but can also be run geared if an owner so desires. I found the geometry to be really nice and I found that the Rockshox Reba fork was a proven winner on this frame. I took this bike out for a night Halloween ride and boy did that Reba ever save my butt a few times on rocky descents where lights were scarce due to one rider with a super bright HID having a mechanical just before the steep rocky downhill.

I had a few "oh ****" moments but the big wheels and the plush suspension bailed me out big time. Although the MSRP seems a bit steep - I have to report that I have seen these steel Marin's price in and around the $1,200 range quite often, and sometimes for even less than that. So if you see one for a price in that range - it is definitely a strong contender!