Quantcast

Marion Jones "Shocked" by EPO allegation

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Jones Says She Is ‘Shocked’ by Her Positive Drug Test
By LYNN ZINSER

Marion Jones issued a statement yesterday about her positive drug test, saying little more than how surprised she was.

Jones had not made any public comment since receiving word Friday that the blood-booster EPO had been found in the primary sample, or A sample, of her urine test from the United States championships June 23. She won the 100 meters that day.

If her backup sample, or B sample, also tests positive, Jones faces a two-year suspension.

“I was shocked when I was informed about the positive A sample,” Jones said in her statement, which was released by her lawyer, Howard Jacobs, via e-mail. “I have requested that the testing of my B sample be expedited.”

Jacobs said that he expected the B sample to be tested in early September, and that Jones would not comment again until those results became available. He said he had spoken with Jones but had not discussed any reasons for the positive test.

In her statement, Jones seemed to distance herself from comments by her coach, Steve Riddick, who has said Jones is innocent and is being singled out by the drug-testing agencies. She said that “only my lawyers have the authority to speak on my behalf in this matter.”

Jacobs has defended other athletes accused of using performance-enhancing drugs, including Floyd Landis, whose positive test for testosterone could make him the first person ever stripped of the Tour de France title; the cyclist Tyler Hamilton, who is serving a two-year suspension for blood doping; and the skeleton racer Zach Lund, who was barred for a year after testing positive for an antibaldness drug that can also be used to mask steroids.

Jacobs represented the sprinter Tim Montgomery in the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative investigation. Montgomery, Jones’s former companion and the father of her son, was barred for two years based on testimony in the Balco case.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
No but her husband has been caught doping, her coach has been banned for doping, she used products from a doping lab....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
reflux said:
How many of them do you think would be shocked if their results came back positive?
Correct me if I'm wrong but the testing "seems" to be pretty strict especially in the TDF and such high profile events. Why the heck would you even chance it?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
stosh said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but the testing "seems" to be pretty strict especially in the TDF and such high profile events. Why the heck would you even chance it?
Did you know that the EPO test is not a pass/fail, but an interpretation of the results?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Don Catlin's role as the head of the drug testing laboratory at U.C.L.A., the only American site accredited by the World Anti-Doping Association, makes him an authority on doping by athletes. Catlin said his lab saw many EPO urine tests that indicated illegal doping by an athlete. He passes most of them, however, because the evidence is not, in his estimation, overwhelming.

''I don't call them because I know I will be faced with a phalanx of scientists and experts who are there to say I'm wrong,'' he said. ''The false negative rate is very high.''

Diagnostic tests that detect the illegal use of steroids, amphetamines and other substances banned in cycling and most other sports are relatively simple: a machine spits out the scientific equivalent of a plus or minus sign. The EPO test, in contrast, spits out a Rorschach blot, with results that must be interpreted by someone skilled in the art.

''The test is actually a very good one, but it's technically complicated,'' said Steven Elliott, the scientific director of Amgen, the biotechnology company that invented the pharmaceutical form of EPO. ''If done properly, it works extremely well. But it's not just something that can be done by any lab.''

Some athletes have managed to successfully challenge their positive results. A more troubling development came recently when researchers at the Catholic University of Leuven in Belgium reported in the medical journal Blood that the widely used EPO urine test can produce a false positive result when urine is taken from an endurance athlete within an hour after exercise.
http://select.nytimes.com/search/restricted/article?res=F60C11F73F540C738FDDAF0894DE404482

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
NEW YORK (AP) -- Marion Jones' latest comeback came in a laboratory, where her backup sample turned up clean -- a stunning twist that clears her to compete and could validate a long list of triumphs sullied by years of doping allegations.

The "B" sample taken from one of the world's best-known and most decorated sprinters did not detect the banned endurance enhancer EPO, her attorneys said Wednesday night.

The finding means her initial positive result is thrown out, clearing her of the most recent -- and most damaging -- allegations against Jones and paving the way for her return to the track.

"I am absolutely ecstatic," Jones said in a statement released by her lawyers. "I have always maintained that I have never ever taken performance enhancing drugs, and I am pleased that a scientific process has now demonstrated that fact."

Long a target of governing bodies in track and the Olympic movement, Jones always vehemently denied ever taking performance-enhancing drugs. But she tested positive for EPO on June 23, after winning the 100 meters at U.S. nationals for her first sprint title since 2002.

She withdrew from the 200 meters the next day and was slated to race at a meet in Switzerland in August, but withdrew unexpectedly. Hours later, reports of her positive "A" test for EPO were revealed.

She faced a minimum two-year ban, pending the result of the backup, or `B,' test, conducted at the same UCLA lab using the same sample. Instead, the 30-year-old sprinter is clear to run again.

"I am anxious to get back on the track," Jones said.

The statement, released by attorney Rich Nichols, said Jones was informed of the negative test by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. USADA does not comment on active cases and never acknowledged Jones' positive `A' test.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/more/09/06/jones.doping.ap/index.html