Quantcast

Mark Sanford...anyone want to speculate?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I sure hope that piece was worth it. Looks like he's in deep for leaving the country without following protocol.

"I would think that if the evidence indicates that there is a willful effort to circumvent the constitution, I think there would be a chorus of calls for him to resign," said state Sen. Glenn McConnell, a fellow Republican.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
You know. After reading those emails, it really does seem like this guy is in love with this women Maria. Then again, I could be wrong...

With that said, I kind of hope Sanford stays with this women if this is how he really feels. I think all of us like poking fun and being self righteous in circumstances like these, and to be quite honest, Sanford deserves this criticism and some for how he has handled it. But if he is in a loveless marriage and he has found his "love", should they not be together???

Are there any succesful politicians/republicans that have divorced/remarried???

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
But if he is in a loveless marriage and he has found his "love", should they not be together???
It's not the infidelity, it's the hypocrisy in the face of his self-righteousness.

Republicans get all pissed about the infidelity (see Clinton), Democrats get pissed about someone who went out of their way to judge the behavior and restrict the rights of others, while secretly behaving in exactly the manner (or worse) they publicly decry.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You know. After reading those emails, it really does seem like this guy is in love with this women Maria. Then again, I could be wrong...
He left his 4 sons on Fathers Day Weekend != family values
He left the COUNTRY without telling his staff or appointing a replacement != good Governor

So his marriage sucks, join the club. But man up, leave the wife, and do the right thing. By sneaking out of the country to cheat on a weekend that is supposed to be about family is about as low as you could go.

Short of pulling a Gary Glitter.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
It's not the infidelity, it's the hypocrisy in the face of his self-righteousness.

Republicans get all pissed about the infidelity (see Clinton), Democrats get pissed about someone who went out of their way to judge the behavior and restrict the rights of others, while secretly behaving in exactly the manner (or worse) they publicly decry.
I agree this guy deserves all the criticism in the world and his career should be ruined especially in light of what you are saying. Unfortunately for him, he's a career politician so what else is he going to do?... probably continue to be a self righteous hypocrite and a person of low moral character.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
He left his 4 sons on Fathers Day Weekend != family values
He left the COUNTRY without telling his staff or appointing a replacement != good Governor

So his marriage sucks, join the club. But man up, leave the wife, and do the right thing. By sneaking out of the country to cheat on a weekend that is supposed to be about family is about as low as you could go.

Short of pulling a Gary Glitter.
I'm just trying to look past the Monday Morning Quarterbacking. The guy's a douche, plain and simple.

I know people get into extramarital affairs. A guy I play hockey with is boinking some women who is/was married with 2 kids. I know it happens, but to what extent, I'm not sure. It just seems to be more prevalent within the political spectrum.

I'd be curious to know what the divorce rate is between the common US citizen versus politicians. I would put money down that the rate for politicians is a good bit lower. Does this mean they have stronger marriages? I think :no: To use a certain baseball steroids term, I think there is a certain "culture" that has been around for a while where politicians fear of not being elected because they don't uphold family values because OMG they've been divorced! I'm not trying to make excuses, but I do pity these losers because it is so freaking pathetic. Like you so aptly put it, GROW A PAIR!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Guess who's back on the Appalachian trail!

CHARLESTON, S.C. — Former South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford must appear in court two days after running for a vacant congressional seat to answer a complaint that he trespassed at his ex-wife's home, according to court documents acquired by The Associated Press on Tuesday.
The complaint says Jenny Sanford confronted Sanford leaving her Sullivan's Island home on Feb. 3 by a rear door, using his cell phone for a flashlight. Her attorney filed the complaint the next day and Jenny Sanford confirmed Tuesday the documents are authentic.
The couple's 2010 divorce settlement says neither may enter the other's home without permission. Mark Sanford lives about a 20-minute drive away in downtown Charleston.
Republican Mark Sanford is trying to revive his political career that was derailed by an extramarital affair that ended the couple's marriage. He faces Democrat Elizabeth Colbert Busch on May 7 as he tries to regain the 1st District congressional seat he held for three terms in the 1990s.
Spokesman Joel Sawyer said the Sanford campaign had no immediate comment on the court documents.
The complaint filed by Jenny Sanford's lawyer, Deena Smith McRackan, said that Mark Sanford has "entered into a pattern of entering onto plaintiff's property. Plaintiff has informed defendant on a number of occasions that this behavior is in violation of the court's order and has demanded that it not occur again."
In February of 2011, McRackan sent a letter to Mark Sanford telling him not to trespass on Jenny Sanford's property. A copy of that letter was also sent to the local police, according to court filings.
Jenny Sanford said Tuesday that she has custody of the couple's four boys.
She said the complaint has nothing to do with her former husband's efforts to rebuild his career in politics. She said it was filed with the court the day after the incident and when a family court judge last month set the case for the docket, it happened to be two days after the election.
"I am doing my best not to get in the way of his race," Jenny Sanford told the AP. "I want him to sink or swim on his own. For the sake of my children I'm trying my best not to get in the way, but he makes things difficult for me when he does things like trespassing."
Sanford is trying to make a comeback after his political career was sidelined in 2009 after confessing an extramarital affair. As a sitting governor, he disappeared from the state for five days only to return and confess to an affair with an Argentine woman, Maria Chapur. He and Jenny Sanford soon divorced and he is now engaged to Chapur who lives in Argentina.
A spokesman for Colbert Busch said that the campaign had no comment on the dispute between the Sanfords.
In December of 2011, there was another complaint against Mark Sanford brought by Jenny Sanford saying he had not made the $5,000 yearly contribution for one of their son's college education. Jenny Sanford said Tuesday that the matter has been resolved but would not comment further.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/16/17784234-mark-sanfords-ex-wife-says-former-sc-governor-trespassed?lite

That poor woman......

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Overshare.

Sanford's 2,300-word post, in which he essentially broke off his engagement, was in turns sad and farcical — the former because it's never easy to see a man's family torn apart, the latter because at times he sounded absurdly self-pitying. Right away, for instance, he noted the dichotomy between historical figures who mistakenly sought "peace at all costs," on one hand, and Jesus Christ on the other. "In this light," he went on, "I have struggled in how to respond since being contacted a little more than a week ago regarding yet another lawsuit by a yet new, and third, lawyer retained by my former wife Jenny."