Quantcast

Mark these dates down for the Spring Northeast Monkey Monkey Fest

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it's in Allentown NH. take 93N to rt 28 at Hooksett, i believe, and then it's east from there (on what road i can't remember off the top of my head). i can get more detailed directions but it's about 30 minutes from the MA/NH state line.

loo, do you have another bike, or just teh bullit? if you have a 5" SC fork and fairly light wheels/tires, you should be OK but BB is not the place for a big bike.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I Are Baboon said:
A quick Google search turned this up...

http://www.nhstateparks.org/ParksPages/BearBrook/BearBrk.html

I'd like to know what kind of riding they have there.
good to great new england singletrack. no drops really, but some good tough climbs and bony descents. hedgehog ledge trail is a good one, and the carr ridge trail still is one of the tops for me in the NE region. little bear or salt lick (can't remember the name) is also a total burner, but it's good to haev someone go first to make sure there are no hikers or bikers climbing it, becuase you can haul ass and there are a couple of blind areas.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
more info here:

http://tinyurl.com/6jd3q

edit - here's a good write-up (catamount is a boulder-field, so the drops he refers to are rolls and not hucks. you would get F'd up trying to huck something up there, it's just way too bony for any sorta safe landing - actually, now that i think about it there is at least one wheelie-drop to flat of about 4' or so you can do before you get to the descent):

Summary:
Bear Brook is one of the best trail systems in NH. Most of the trails are clearly marked, but it is possible to get a little lost. Just use common sense, the whole park is surrounded by roads. The trails are well taken care of. Early in the season it can be very wet and buggy. Later on (after June), the bugs are better. I'll review each trail here:

Catamount: Technical climb either route. Very technical downhill through steep rock garden on the left side. Nice drops at the top.

Cascade: The most technical trail in Bear Brook. Starts with a steep climb from Lane/one mile. Lots of rocks with one or two ridable lines in many places. Very difficult trail. On left side of Sentinal, goes along bear brook and is a little scary the first time.

Sentinal Pine: From Lane/One mile, the trail starts as a highly technical climb. At times need to take a perfect line. Very rooty. The rest of the trail is gradual climb and descents with rooty/rocky terrain.

Carr Ridge: Can be a scary fast downhill with lots of rocks and roots from the Hayes trail entrance. The end is a log stair case.

One Mile: Single track that weaves in and out. Some pricker bushes at points.

Lane: Mostly a dirt/gravel road with a couple nice gravel climbs coming from one mile trail.

Lowland Trail: Rocky and usually wet trail that has some difficult sections, especially when wet.

Lost Trail: One of the longer trials in Bear Brook. Lots of unridable water hazards on the ferret sie with a long climb and downhill towards the end.

Hedgehog Ledge: Advanced, with rock staircases downhill the back uphill. Goes through a bolder area. Interesting trail.

Bear Hill: Steep climb. Coming from the Hall Mountain side, there is an awesome downhill after the climb. Be sure to hang a left before you get to poduck road.

Ferret Trail: Good beginner trail.

Hall Mountain: Only trail I haven't ridden. Long hard climb, with a nice downhill.

Lynx trail: Steep, technical at times climb coming from beaver pond, screaming downhill coming from Hall Mountain area.

Broken Boulder: Nice steady climb from pitch pine trail with a couple minor technical areas.

Bobcat trail: Nice fast double track, Nice intemediate trail. Has a good share of rocks and roots, but ridable.

Pitch Pine: Pretty smooth single track, some upsa and downs.