Quantcast

Mark Weir - scary NorCal mofo.......

D

Dingus McGee

Originally posted by Acadian
holy crap...is this for real?

Apparently so.....you have to 'apply' and only one person has a chance. Failure would really suck...you'd be pretty much kicked outta the scene! :devil:

-snip-

Official Contest Description and Rules

DESCRIPTION:
Santa Cruz Bicycles will select one (1) lucky rider to go on a grueling, 6 to 8 hour ride with Pro Rider Mark Weir. The ride will include 10,000 feet of climbing, and be between 60 to 80 miles in length. The ride will NOT be conducted on a light weight XC bike, it will be on a 40 pound, full-on, DH rig. If the chosen candidate CAN SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETE THE RIDE, they will be presented with a FREE, fully tricked-out Santa Cruz VP-FREE mountain bike! (value: $4800.US) This is a SERIOUS CONTEST AND A SERIOUS RIDE! The chosen candidate will also receive one (1) FREE FLIGHT FROM ANY MAJOR AIRPORT in the United States(including Alaska and Hawaii) or Canada, to come to Santa Cruz, California to meet Mark, Rob Roskopp, and the Santa Cruz Bicycles gang for the ride.

D

Dingus McGee

I don't care what type of shape you are in...that is almost impossible! Especially on a 40lbs bike!

:think: well then again... ;)

What kind of suicidal masochist would want to try to hang on Weir's wheel? I don't think I could I could hang standing in line behind that guy! :D :dead:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I don't care what type of shape you are in...that is almost impossible! Especially on a 40lbs bike!

:think: well then again... ;)
No it ain't. We did two consecutive days of 120 miles each during the continental divide route with xc bikes and 50-70lb trailers.

Although the weight was greater and the elevation roughly in the ballpark, we were mainly on dirt roads.

Literally, the hardest part would be just keeping Wier in your line of sight.

It doesn't say anything about gearing does it?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You know, the more I think about it........this is almost worth training for........much more so than some stupid race.

I still got the bob trailer and some free weights................

EDIT:

Okay, just read the contest. I guess the hardest part is winning the drawing first. Hell if I won the drawing, there's no way I wouldn't finish the ride.

DHRacer001

Chimp
May 9, 2003
Finishing, and keeping up with mark are two different things.

Hey mark if you catch this, I got your scooter at the shop, saw it the other day when jake and I were cleaning out the back room, I know you probably have been having a hard time sleeping without out it. I can bring it to otter if you want.

Later

Dave

Oct 2, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I am sure that Mark Weir isn't going to be setting a blistering pace for this ride, that would be unfair. My guess is that he would hold a moderate pace to let the winner keep up. I think the contest is to see if the winner can complete the distance and climbing with the 40lbs bike. Kinda makes me want to enter just to do the ride, I don't care so much about the bike.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Instead of randomly selecting one person, they should do a marathon style start and just see who finishes first, ya know like a bike race?

Why train for it when your odds are crap?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
But spincrazy and I have done the big loop at Ramapo (basically 20 miles of rolling rock gardens) dozens of times. I've lead loop twice before on my 40 lbs. 2-Step with 7x6" - depending the group it takes between 3-4 hrs. One day spin and I were feeling fast and completed the whole loop in about 2.5 hrs on our low-30s trail bikes. It helped there was some xc racer weenie boys that started out 15 minutes before us - it was a fun catching them and crushing them all in a matter of only 10 minutes or so and doing the same after we were on a rest break (see you later, nah I don't think so) :D