Quantcast

Marketing help, or 'free trip to Peru'?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, as many of you know, I have a Mt. Bike tour company in Peru. What I am doing (or trying to do) is different from what other tour companies are offering. I specialize in VERY hard riding, both uphill and down, and can tailor a trip to any advanced riding taste. I have qualified, knowledgable, and reliable guides in three parts of the country, around Lima, Huaraz, and of course Cusco/Sacred Valley.
I also specialize in the gastronomic culture of Peru..we eat at the finest and most diverse restaurants available, and the possibility of some culinary classes exists as well. Same goes for Pisco appreciation and tasting. (The Pisco you can sample from local vinters is a whole different thing that the store bought stuff, it is more like a fine brandy or congac).
We also stay in very nice places, as much for security as for comfort.

SO, I have great product, everything totally organised, great guides, etc, the only thing I am lacking now is CLIENTS. I am currently revamping the website, www.pocolocotours.com (it is down for repairs) , but I need to get eyeballs onto it, or find some other gorilla techniques to spread the word of what I have available. I have no budget to speak of, so advertising in Bike, MTBA, Maxim, Outside, etc, is not viable. Bike just did an extensive piece on Peru, so trying to get free play from an industry invite is highly unlikely right now. I have pursued the most obvious free avenues, forums, etc, but I don't like spamming, so there ya go.
Anyone have any brilliant ideas on how to create some exposure for very little $$$?
ALSO (may be another thread) I am looking for a site builder that might be interested in working towards a trip, any code monkeys out there?
Thanks in advance, R

I also would be willing to compensate well for someone who could create an effective, inexpensive campaign.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
rideit said:
<snip>Anyone have any brilliant ideas on how to create some exposure for very little $$$?
Best bet is word of mouth. I read a book a while a go called "Anatomy of Buzz" and tells about how to create a buzz about a company that spreads on it's own. I also just read "Brewing up a Business" by the founder and owner of Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, a company that is a huge success but spends very little on advertising. Again, he created a buzz.

You got a niche product that is differentiated, your best bet is to get people talking about it. Get some non-industry media involved, local newspapers is a good start. And do some publicity events, anything to get your name in periodicals.

Keep us posted.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I would try:
1. getting your website up & running... make it nice
2. google AdSense
3. lots of videos & pictures, restaurant/food, etc.
4. try some (repeat) customer incentive programs ...
5. Post ride reports & photos on the various online bike sites... get them to do a feature on your company, etc...

As you can imagine, building buzz doesn't happen over night ... it takes time.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
mtbr ads?

target the demographics of the average american trourist in peru??

bike shop posters?

get instructors at winter resorts give you referals?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Get some brochures printed up and call/visit as many bike shops as you can find and ask them if they'll put your brochures on the counter. A lot of 'em will say no if you're not a regular customer, of course, but it's worth asking.