At 38, Marla Streb competes and wins against women
who are almost half her age, racing at speeds +50 miles
an hour at dangerous inclines. She's just won the world
cup in Austria, and the biking industry has named her the
#1 female cyclist of the year.

For anyone who ever sat a desk pushing a pencil and
daydreamed of glory, DOWNHILL: The Life Story of a
Gravity Goddess, is on-sale this November 4th. The book
will be available at all book sellers nationwide.

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Cool! Cant wait to read that. She seems like a pretty amazing individual.

I was pretty psched to see her this weekend in Moab. She is still strong as ever.

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
Marla is a Goddess!

I met her at Sea Otter a couple years ago and have the picture that I got with her, on my desk here at work. Can't wait for the book:)

D

Dingus McGee

2/3RDS thru the book, fun easy read, good personal/bike history, but I suspect there has been some, uh, glossing over of a few things. Parents
are still alive, I believe.

derekbob

Monkey
Sep 4, 2003
Chico
I havent read the book, but whats up with the title???
Goddess??? come on, if shes a gravity goddess what does that make anne-carro?? supreme ruler of all gravity goddesses?? Either the publisher came up with that title and she fought it kicking and screaming or shes an egomaniac.

SLOPE

Monkey
Aug 24, 2001
Arnold, Maryland
Marla had her first book reading in Baltimore the other week, she is really cool. Her parents and some friends showed up for support. She answered alot of questions and we got to see the tatoo :)!!! Very nice! Almost done with my signed copy of her book, very cool, especially towards the end.
And she does skateboard, just picked up a Roe Racing slalom board! Doesn't get any better than that. :p

D

Dingus McGee

There can be more than one godess in this tradition, it's not the Judeo/Christian/Muslim monotheistic approach. You know getting in touch with your inner goddess, etc. AC is the supreme being, however.

Originally posted by derekbob
I havent read the book, but whats up with the title???
Goddess??? come on, if shes a gravity goddess what does that make anne-carro?? supreme ruler of all gravity goddesses?? Either the publisher came up with that title and she fought it kicking and screaming or shes an egomaniac.

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
Anne-Caroline is a typical french b_tch. Marla is down to earth. And Likes her fans. Marla took the time last year to answer my 12 years old questions about the course at mount snow while waiting her turn to run the yard sale during practice, and even entertained fans during an informal question and answer session on her next run. She's 100% Goddess. Anne-Caro is a typical french B_tch, not even willing to sign an autograph after practice. Marla Rules !!

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
I'm digging the book.
Picked it up the other day after reading this thread. I ended up putting down half the book in an afternoon. (It rained on Sunday :mad: )

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
I bought the book and dug it mucho. Had to ration it out... because I really wanted to read it all in just a few sittings, but forced myself not to.

I know nothing about downhilling except what I read in the book... so it was definitely interesting for me to come across (thanks to Ridemonkey.)

I like her self-deprecating humor, and how she doesn't seem cocky. She seems to be a real fly-by-the-seat-of-her-pants kinda woman. I also liked how she got into some of her personal issues, such as fear of committment. She poked the issue with a stick, kicked it a little with the toe of her shoe, knew it was there but walked away from it... returned to it as the stink spread... chucked the issue at her boyfriend like a cow pattie....

The end was a true old-fashioned summary. I wish she had spread some of those insights better througout the book instead of summarizing at the end. Also, she tallied up her injuries mostly at the end, but from page one I wanted to know the dirt about her falls, wipe-outs, etc.

Overall, it was a good read!

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Originally posted by Capt. Jack Sparrow
...The end was a true old-fashioned summary. I wish she had spread some of those insights better througout the book instead of summarizing at the end. Also, she tallied up her injuries mostly at the end, but from page one I wanted to know the dirt about her falls, wipe-outs, etc.....

I'm reading the book for a second time because now I know more about downhilling, racing, etc. and will understand some of it a bit more.

Now I know why she didn't write about stuff like her first falls off a mountain bike--probably because it happens so often, it's not even worth mentioning, especially as a downhiller.