Quantcast

Marriage topic??

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
stosh said:
oh ok cool!!

My GF was riding my ass about marriage for months. I finally put an end to it and she doesn't mention it much anymore till she get really drunk.
till she gets really drunk? Funny!

See she's wearing you down. Just like my brother. Just kidding.
Tell her if she signs the I won't stop having great dating sex contract, it's a deal, and see what she says.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
JSB said:
double standards are tough, because they are soooo dependant on perspective. It's very easy for me to sit here and think about all the things I've given up and all the sacrifies I've made... why is it such a big deal that I want to ride a couple of times a week? It's very difficult for us to see all the things our wives have given up. The big ones are easy... but think about the little stuff...

I don't know if I've just opened up the door to be walked all over, but this is a tough topic. I don't feel like I ask for very much (and certainly nothing unreasonable)... but I'm sure I'm subtly asking for a lot more than I realize... just like my wife is. I'm sure she doesn't think she's asking for much, but I'm sure she doesn't realize all the sacrifices I make. It goes both ways... I really try to give my wife the benefit of the doubt on this one, right or wrong.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
SkaredShtles said:
Dude. No more of the "easy peasy" phrase......... Mkay? Thanks. ;)

WTF? Almost 3 and *never* slept through the night? Yikes. I feel for ya, man.

-S.S.-
Dude mine is 5 in April. He wakes up at 3 am almost every night. We have cleared it up before, by making a sticker chart. If he sleeps in his bed all night for so many nights he gets a surprise. Usually a new Thomas train. We slowly stop that and usually we're good for a month. Then it starts back up. Currently for 3 weeks I've had to get up almost not every but almost wevery night. Talk about a beating.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I met a guy this weekend who makes, basically, a pittance of a salary. He has an absurdly high-maintenance girlfriend. He bought her a BMW (that he now makes payments on), $2000 worth of plastic surgery, and what I estimate to be about a $8-10k engagement ring.

I think it's hilarious that this girl has no idea that, when they get married in the summer, it will be her debt too. She thinks these are "presents", but they're not - they're not paid for, and she'll be paying for them very soon..

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
Dude. No more of the "easy peasy" phrase......... Mkay? Thanks. ;)

just you wait until i roll out the "pukka".

WTF? Almost 3 and *never* slept through the night? Yikes. I feel for ya, man.

-S.S.-
yeah, otis is a stubborn kid, but a lot of it is our own doing as well...our 1st one didn't start sleeping through the night until a month or so until his brother was born. it's been a long 5 years for my wife... :dead:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
JSB said:
Dude mine is 5 in April. He wakes up at 3 am almost every night. We have cleared it up before, by making a sticker chart. If he sleeps in his bed all night for so many nights he gets a surprise. Usually a new Thomas train. We slowly stop that and usually we're good for a month. Then it starts back up. Currently for 3 weeks I've had to get up almost not every but almost wevery night. Talk about a beating.
Does he get up like wakes up and starts his day, or wakes up, needs his back rubbed for a minute, then goes back to sleep? Not saying either is good, but I suspect one is a lot more "normal" than the other. Sleep habits are weird things.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
JSB said:
Jeezus! And I'm cranky when my youngest gets up at 7. I guess I should just be thankful. :) Thanks for a new perspective, Narl & JSB.

-S.S.-

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
JSB said:
we've got the lure of a big red fire truck for otis...he's getting better though, and hopefully he'll be on his own through the night soon enough.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
binary visions said:
I met a guy this weekend who makes, basically, a pittance of a salary. He has an absurdly high-maintenance girlfriend. He bought her a BMW (that he now makes payments on), $2000 worth of plastic surgery, and what I estimate to be about a $8-10k engagement ring.

I think it's hilarious that this girl has no idea that, when they get married in the summer, it will be her debt too. She thinks these are "presents", but they're not - they're not paid for, and she'll be paying for them very soon..
Hopefully she's got a good job.......... :thumb:

-S.S.-

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
JSB said:
till she gets really drunk? Funny!

See she's wearing you down. Just like my brother. Just kidding.
Tell her if she signs the I won't stop having great dating sex contract, it's a deal, and see what she says.
Yeah she's a freak and god if anything I'm the one who some nights doesn't want to have it. If she changes that it will be a blatent change....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:

wow!!

People are crazy!!!!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
JSB said:
22 here. That's awesome. I wish we were best friends. I actually told her that. She has her best friend, and I have mine, and apparently we're neither of them.
We are best friends and it's awesome. We each have our own "best friends" outside of each other, but we talk about everything and anything. What's even more awesome is that we do a lot of things together, but we do plenty of things apart too. It's not like we need to do everything together and we totally respect each other more for that.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
JSB said:
I didn't know about it either. But how come when it's let's have a baby time that tune changes?
Yeah, but it's not necessarily good sex then...it more like a job (or so I have heard....I personally haven't been bitten by the baby monster yet so I wouldn't know)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
TreeSaw said:
Yeah, but it's not necessarily good sex then...it more like a job (or so I have heard....I personally haven't been bitten by the baby monster yet so I wouldn't know)
Probably because you deal with them all day!!! :)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
TreeSaw said:
maybe my mileage is different, but i'd say it's a lot better. maybe not at the same frequency, but the quality...:thumb:

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
jacksonpt said:
Does he get up like wakes up and starts his day, or wakes up, needs his back rubbed for a minute, then goes back to sleep? Not saying either is good, but I suspect one is a lot more "normal" than the other. Sleep habits are weird things.
First off he's up stairs, and we have a baby door at the top so the kids won't break their necks in the middle of the night.
He wakes up, I can here him jump out of his bed run to the stairs and screams for me. I come up, he says he's scared I usually have him make a pit stop on the way to he room. He get's in bed I tuck him in tell him I love him, and he usually 9 times out of 10 goes back to sleep.
That is now...before I had to sit in his room until he went back to sleep. Some times I would fall a sleep on the end of his bed for like 45 minutes and wake up with a horrible neck ache.

Baby number two, other wise know as Hannah, sleeps like a rock. Was sleeping through the night at 4 months old. My wife would wake her up to feed her at night. Even our son screaming for us at night doesn't wake her. If she doesn't get her naps during the day...watch out because you will wish for you were some place else.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
JSB said:
If she doesn't get her naps during the day...watch out because you will wish for you were some place else.

Thats funny how a change in the normal cycle can do that.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
TreeSaw said:
The first go around yes. I actually almost got in trouble. She read something a doctor wrote about timing and such. This was because the first month we were just going at it when ever which was good for me. Second month she had articles from doctors, and when was the prime time. Geez...It was definitely a chore. Which killed it for me. Every 36 hours baby. The last straw was when she won't me up at 3:45 am to say, hey we've got to do this lets go. I was like WTF, I don't even know if it works at this time of day. Needless to say it took alot of work, and I complained about it. NEVER EVER EVER DO THAT. You will pay dearly my friends.

Second kid I knocked it out with in like 3 weeks. I was so pissed. Ha Ha. I was banking on a couple of months. Especially since it had been lacking for a while.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
SkaredShtles said:
Hopefully she's got a good job.......... :thumb:

-S.S.-
Oh hell no, wouldn't you know that she's the old fashioned, my-man-should-support-me type!

My last girlfriend used to bug me all the time about marriage and we hadn't even been dating that long (though we were living together). Comments here and there, zales.com engagement ring "hints"... I told her several times I simply wasn't ready to be married - I mean, at least I was honest with her - but she wouldn't let it drop. I blew up at her one day about it, and she dropped it after that.

This relationship is a lot healthier and we both have the same views about marriage. There's no point in hinting if the other person isn't ready - do you really want to be married to someone who's not ready?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
TreeSaw said:
Hell ya! Best birth control on the market....teaching!
I can see it getting to my GF as well. When we first met she was ready but now that she has her own classroom... OMG.... she hates kids.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
JSB said:
The last straw was when she won't me up at 3:45 am to say, hey we've got to do this lets go. I was like WTF, I don't even know if it works at this time of day.

You should have said that it only works at that time of day if you've both been up drunk at a bar and were just getting home.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
JSB said:
The first go around yes. I actually almost got in trouble. She read something a doctor wrote about timing and such. This was because the first month we were just going at it when ever which was good for me. Second month she had articles from doctors, and when was the prime time. Geez...It was definitely a chore. Which killed it for me. Every 36 hours baby. The last straw was when she won't me up at 3:45 am to say, hey we've got to do this lets go. I was like WTF, I don't even know if it works at this time of day. Needless to say it took alot of work, and I complained about it. NEVER EVER EVER DO THAT. You will pay dearly my friends.

Second kid I knocked it out with in like 3 weeks. I was so pissed. Ha Ha. I was banking on a couple of months. Especially since it had been lacking for a while.
LOL!!! Sounds like one of my co-workers. She was complaining about how the schedule was and that it wasn't fun anymore for her or her husband. He too made the mistake of compaining about it...NOT GOOD!

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
stosh said:
I can see it getting to my GF as well. When we first met she was ready but now that she has her own classroom... OMG.... she hates kids.
My wife is a teacher too. She hates the job. She loves teaching but that's not what being a teacher is about. It's more about politics, conferences, meetings, training, testing, testing, more testing. Oh and if you have time after that try and fit in you curriculum. I don't think teachers teach curriculum anymore. They teach our kids how to pass the state mandated tests, because (and this is where some of the politics come from) if you school doesn't do superb then you don't get good funding. That's also probably why most teachers usually quit before 5 years of teaching. It's nothing like most think.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
stosh said:
You should have said that it only works at that time of day if you've both been up drunk at a bar and were just getting home.
No kidding! I paid dearly for that one.

When ever your GF or wife says, Oh...I'll remember that. Your screwed. There's nothing good about that statement.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
JSB said:
My wife is a teacher too. She hates the job. She loves teaching but that's not what being a teacher is about. It's more about politics, conferences, meetings, training, testing, testing, more testing. Oh and if you have time after that try and fit in you curriculum. I don't think teachers teach curriculum anymore. They teach our kids how to pass the state mandated tests, because (and this is where some of the politics come from) if you school doesn't do superb then you don't get good funding. That's also probably why most teachers usually quit before 5 years of teaching. It's nothing like most think.
Yeah it's pretty bad and it's really bad here in NY. No child left behind is the dumbest policy ever!!
I don't understand how it could have gotten so out of wack! It's funny most of us are level headed people on here, I think it's all the over protective poor parenting skills parents who ruin it for everybody in school.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
JSB said:
No kidding! I paid dearly for that one.

When ever your GF or wife says, Oh...I'll remember that. Your screwed. There's nothing good about that statement.
Yeah my GF is always reminding me of dumb things I've said or done, however when I try to remind her she says "why do you always gotta bring that up, I'm trying to forget about it" which doesn't really matter because I already got my jab in.

JSB

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
Flower Mound, Texas
stosh said:
Yeah my GF is always reminding me of dumb things I've said or done, however when I try to remind her she says "why do you always gotta bring that up, I'm trying to forget about it" which doesn't really matter because I already got my jab in.
There you go...Next time she does, you can add, You see, and you wonder why I haven't popped the question. Oh she'd be pissed.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
JSB said:
There you go...Next time she does, you can add, You see, and you wonder why I haven't popped the question. Oh she'd be pissed.
Holy crap would she be heated.... Actually I prefer to not say anything. She knows that I"m pissed because I don't say anything.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
JSB said:
The last straw was when she won't me up at 3:45 am to say, hey we've got to do this lets go. I was like WTF, I don't even know if it works at this time of day. Needless to say it took alot of work, and I complained about it. NEVER EVER EVER DO THAT.
That's hilarious. I have made it crystal clear that Her Majesty can have it anytime she wants, even if she has to wake me up. I may be a little grumpy at first, but I promise to cheer up fast.

JSB your marriage has a lot of the same characteristics as mine (10yrs, 2 young kids, 2 jobs). One big difference is my wife INSISTS on working (she's a teacher too) even though her job chews her up and spits her out almost every single day. If we could live happily on just her salary I would stay home. Instead, the kids go to daycare and we have a nice house and nice cars.

I wouldn't give up my wife for anything. I could sit and pick apart her faults for days on end, but I'm no better than her, so what's the point? We try to overcome our problems and do the best we can. We've definitely made a lot of progress in this area.

In an insecure relationship (our 1st several yrs) a person thinks, "I have to do this or he/she will leave me or cheat on me." In our relationship it's "do I have the time/energy/money to do this for my spouse to make them happy?" This goes both ways, and a lot of times the answer is "no." I wallow in self-pity occasionally 'cuz I don't always get exactly what I want. But the important thing is that I ALREADY HAVE EVERYTHING in a wonderful wife and beautiful children.

On the double standard: I firmly believe you could do every single chore around the house except for one, and you would still hear complaining about that one chore.

This is a sexist remark (so ban me), but you'll hear the same thing in "sensitivity" training: Ritual complaining is a trait common to all people, but I hear it a lot more from women. I think the complaining serves several purposes: 1) attract attention to her efforts (emphasizes the difficulty of the task, how it's neverending, etc); 2) protects her from having to do more; and 3) cues you in that you need to thank her for doing even the stuff she's "supposed" to do. I try to pick up or help out w/one of "her" chores every couple of days. I've never asked for help w/the yard, the dog-poop, cleaning the garage, or fixing the damn washer. But I score major points when I load the freaking dishwasher or fold a pile of clothes.

Good luck man! And if it helps, I would hardly ever ride or fish if I didn't work a 9/80 schedule.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
JSB said:
First off he's up stairs, and we have a baby door at the top so the kids won't break their necks in the middle of the night.
He wakes up, I can here him jump out of his bed run to the stairs and screams for me. I come up, he says he's scared I usually have him make a pit stop on the way to he room. He get's in bed I tuck him in tell him I love him, and he usually 9 times out of 10 goes back to sleep.
That is now...before I had to sit in his room until he went back to sleep. Some times I would fall a sleep on the end of his bed for like 45 minutes and wake up with a horrible neck ache.
We have the same thing going on right now. It really does beat you down. Picture a 195lb dude dozing off on the edge of a twin bed while a 4yo tosses and turns. That's me a couple times a week. This weather has destroyed my riding for the past month anyway, but if I was trying to be in any kind of shape right now, the constant sleep interruptions would dash those hopes quickly.

That reminds me of another difference that has helped me understand my wife: we are different body types. I can roll out after 6hrs of sleep and do whatever I have to do for the day. Work 11 hrs, hunt ducks, work in the yard all day, ride a couple hrs. . . I'm in awful shape but my body will let me get away w/this stuff. My wife has a totally different metabolism and different sleep needs. She NEEDS 8-9 hrs of sleep and if deprived, her body WILL fail on her (get sick, fall asleep driving, etc). Add any kind of external stress, and the sleep need increases. Figuring that out has helped me understand what she needs a lot better. When I used to think of rest as something we needed equally, things could get pretty rough.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
JSB said:
Knowing what you know now...

How many would marry again?

How many would marry the same person?

How many would say to hell with marriage I've been down that road?
Would I marry my ex again....HELL NO!!!

But in spite of him being a complete jacka**, I didn't give up on marriage. Freak and I will be celebrate our 1 year anniversary next month :love:

We're lucky that we each others best friend, share many of the same hobbies (bikes of course being the biggest), and have the same views on family and kids. That was probably the scariest conversation I can remember having with him is discussing the "kid question". I wasn't 100% sure what his long term outlook was and that had the potential to be a deal-breaker for the relationship because no matter how much I love someone, I would not sacrifice the life of innocent child just to make someone else happy.

And one of the best parts of relationship is that he makes me laugh every day :D

I'm sorry that things are so rough. People do go thru phases, go thru depression, etc and may very well return to the peson you once loved. I've gone thru stages of depression and it just sucks the life right out of you. You don't want to do anything, see anyone, or feel anything. Going to couples counseling is a good first step, but maybe you both might benefit from seeing a counselor on your own as well?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
JSB said:
Your right...I have been teaching for almost 7 years and it sucks...I do it because I love my kids and I love working with them. The state tests suck, but I deal with the ridiculous requirements that the state imposes on us every day. The day to day politics isn't something that they talk much about in college...otherwise, there would be few education majors!

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Well......since I'm in the "Batter's Box" right now, I'll add in my perspective:

Mrs. soon-to-be Greyhound is one more awesome lady. She and I get along so incredibly well. We've been together a little over 5 years, and I swear to you, it seems like 5 months. I don't know where the time has gone. I've a taken a little time over the past few weeks to sit back, and take stock of where I am, and evaluate how I feel about this next step. I'm just about to turn 32, and it's apparent to me through subtle little hints in day-to-day life that it's time for things to happen on my end. I get all sappy and stupid around kids, Hallmark commercials mist me up, I get a little anxiety when when I see my friends who have kids, and how fast they've grown up.......it's just a little of all that, I guess. Not being the type of guy that mulls over such issues, I'm really quite taken aback over how much adulthood has bitch-slapped me here lately, but I guess that's how it happens. Many of my friends have already had kids......and those kids are growing up fast. I want to be a part of all that stuff. I still feel like I'm 22, and it's really freaky to think about the future, but the future is right now....and if I don't recognize it, it will pass me by before I know it. So here I am, with a ring on the way, and happiness in my heart. Maybe ten years down the road, I'll be singing a different song.......bad things happen to good people all the time, I know. But, hell...it's worth a shot. :thumb: