Quantcast

Married Monkies, a couple questions for you

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
So my brother is gettin' hitched. He asked me to be his best-man, of course I said "of course" but now the big dillema. Aside from buying myself a new suit (I'm thinking of splurging for an Armani) what exactly are the best man's responsibilities? I know that I have to make sure he get's there on time, and get him a really kickass gift, but beyond that I'm lost.

I'm pretty sure the Bachelor party is mine to plan. The only problem with that is that is I live in SoCal and the wedding is in Virginia, so I guess I'll need to rely heavily on his friends that live in the area for help on that. Any ideas? This will be a subdued party, my brother isn't the wild naked stripper type, and it's in a College town with pretty sctrict noise laws and hardass cops.

Also about the gift, I know I'll be getting him, Jessica(his fiance) her parents, my parents, and the bridesmaids/groomsmen a few magnums of Dom or Cristal for the reception , but can't think of what else. Need ides on something a little more personal for them, his and hers Rolex's perhaps? I'm lost on weddings.:banghead:

Thanks ahead of time for any help/ suggestions:biggrin:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Actually the bride's parents are doing most of the wedding planing, they are even buying me my suit for the cerimony, I'm getting another one for the reception. I like the Rolex idea myself too, but don't know if there is a traditional gift that the best-mman is suposed to give instead.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
iwc for t3h win.
:drool:

what his/her rolex could you get?
datejust? they arent pretty exactly, and they are relatively common. the nice rolexes are way too big and manly to pass as "her".

VaNIlLin81

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
c-ville
Go to NewYork, right before you get on the fairy to go to the statue of Liberty. You can get his and hers Rolex for under $100. :biggrin:

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
your job is to run as his blocker at the wedding. While its her 'special day' its also your brother's wedding, and a lot of people will be trying to pull sh!t on. This means:
- Keep your mother and his soon to be mother-in-law off his balls
- Make sure he has drinks, but does not get Christian Slater level plowed. Nothing worse then a swerving groom in the wedding video
- If there is a fight, you finish it
- Make sure you have the rings. My brother trusted my old man to bring her ring, guess what got left at home...
- Make sure without fail that there is food in the limo for them. They are going to be so busy that they won't have time to eat at the reception, and as such no food in the blushing bride's belly will equate to no good times in her bridal lingerie...

And above everything, keep him laughing. Everyone gets a bit nervous with the idea of marriage, so keep it light and funny.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
At my first wedding, the guy who was supposed to be my best man was in the Brig on 4 days bread and water. My second wedding was at the State capitol in front of a judge.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Sounds easier than I thought it would be. Thanks for the help. As for the Rolex's, Don't know which ones exactly, need to head down to the watch shop and see what they have.

Also need to find another place that sells fine chanpagne, I checked at my local place and they have a 3 bottles per family (based on last name) , per year limit on Dom. and I've allready bought 2 this year.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Sounds easier than I thought it would be. Thanks for the help. As for the Rolex's, Don't know which ones exactly, need to head down to the watch shop and see what they have.

Also need to find another place that sells fine chanpagne, I checked at my local place and they have a 3 bottles per family (based on last name) , per year limit on Dom. and I've allready bought 2 this year.
wtf????????

they sell dom at the closest supermarket i have. and every wong (a chain of supermarkets) in town have them in stock.

you can walk in and take as many as you want/afford, never thought dom had quotas. :shocked: why would they?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Both my brothers got married two days apart.

One in Vegas, one in front of a judge in Boulder.

I didn't know about either until the day they happened.

What to get, beats me.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
rolex watches and armani suits... what do you folks live in hollywood /??? :busted:

sounds like a stupid waste of money if ya ask me... when i think about that kinda cash i think new dirt bike and new dh bike...

whatever blows ya hair back tho.. :biggrin:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
rolex watches and armani suits... what do you folks live in hollywood /??? :busted:
sounds like a stupid waste of money if ya ask me... when i think about that kinda cash i think new dirt bike and new dh bike...
whatever blows ya hair back tho.. :biggrin:
[/QUOTE]

lol, i like watches. my dad has a few, i got a rolex when i was a freshman in college, but sold it years ago.
at one time (when chavez in venezuela froze bank accounts on dollars) we got to get like 20+ high end watches, was the best way to get money out of venezuela before currency control ate your savings.

now a good ol´watch (japanese guts) made by mom´s company and a tag heuer i got from my grandpa do the deed.

now am 23 and poor, no way i can afford high end watches, and even if i could, i´d get a track car first.
:biggrin:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
I’m with partsbara, tell them to elope and put the wedding money into a new house, or maybe in their case… a new yacht.:brows:
Actually her parents are paying for the whole shindig. They really want their daughter to have a nice wedding, so eloping is out of the question.

As for the Dom, where are these supermarkets that sell it? I've never seem it in the market. And Partsy, it's my brother so I hook the guy up, he would do the same for me. Armani suit, well if I'm going to wear a suit it had better be a well taloired, and a nice suit. My brother's only going to get married once, so it's gotta be good.

JoeRay

Monkey
Feb 19, 2004
In Squalor
Isn't the gift giving the other way round, the bride and groom give the attendandts gifts to commemorate the occaision?

If I'm wrong it just goes to prove how much attention I've paid this year, or how much I've chosen to forget in the last two months.

Me and the wife decided no best man/ bride'smaids. You have to buy them dresses and rent suits and all.

Better to spend it on things like Subaru Legacy GT Spec B's or bikes or houses or anything that involves spending it on yourself. Especially if its over 200 bucks.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
as for the bachelor party.....
i'm not a big drinker/partier myself and neither is my brother. so for my bachelor party, he made my wife think that he was going to get me plastered but instead, the entire male side of the wedding party went to the local paintball joint and had a blast. the only catch was that i had to wear my mom's old mu-mu nightgown thingy. that's a scary ordeal when all you have underneath it is a pair of boxers and when you squat to hide you realize that your berries are exposed:bonk: :twitch: :shocked: :eek: oh yeah, and my brother telling all the little pro-kids with their $500 laser sighted paintball guns that they'll get $10 if they can hit me in the junk helped things out a lot. ;)

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
You can get a very nice, well-tailored suit for less than an Armani and w/o looking like you're a "made man" or in a rumpshaker, bling-slinging' hip-hop video. Try anything on Bond Street and you'll get to fly to London with the money you save.

As far as champagne goes, magnums are more expensive and less useful than you'd think when buying in large quantity. If you MUST drink Dom or Cristal(the nouveau riche choice) instead of a nicer but less showy bubbly, but it by the case in 750mls. A single bottle of '89 Dom went for about $90 here if you shopped around for it.

The same thing goes for watches. Why buy a Rolex when you can get a nicer(though less well-known) swiss-movement timepiece for less? Focus on getting the best QUALITY gifts...not just the ones hyped by the latest BET flavor-of-the-month videos. Better to spend some of that money on quality footwear rather than walk in with an Armani suit, giant blingy Rolex and ShoeTown kickers on your dogs. Ask any refined lady or gentleman where they look in order to sort the posers from the rollers and they'll tell you the same.

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
What's with the need to spend so much money? Call me stupid, but I would rather a meaningful gift, and something I can hang onto for years over something that's just expensive for the sake of being "the best" or whatever. Things don't have to be on par with Armani or Dom to be great. I don't know, the whole thing sounds fairly shallow to me. The watch, is fine because it's useful/sentimental whatever, but thought > $. Just my opinion. Anyway, good luck as best man, and I hope you all enjoy the big day!

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
What's with the need to spend so much money? Call me stupid, but I would rather a meaningful gift, and something I can hang onto for years over something that's just expensive for the sake of being "the best" or whatever. Things don't have to be on par with Armani or Dom to be great. I don't know, the whole thing sounds fairly shallow to me. The watch, is fine because it's useful/sentimental whatever, but thought > $. Just my opinion. Anyway, good luck as best man, and I hope you all enjoy the big day!
I agree to a point, there are alot of people out there that money is no object..so to them it is not a waste..it is peanuts..!!!!..

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
I don't have any advice about what you SHOULD do, but while giving the toast, you should NOT admit to sleeping with the bride. That never goes well, regardless of how funny it sounds right now.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Bachelor party, gift, of course you get a gift from the groom... make sure his nervous ass doesnt forget important **** like the ring, etc. Usually the toast is yours to make at the rehearsal dinner, wedding, or reception.

Oh and for the bachelor party... if there are stripper involved, or any kind of drunken rant, or other embarassing moment that might upset the bride, it is your job to disarm any would be camera men and destroy their film. You are the best man, the regulator.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Thanks Golgiaparatus, that's exactly what I needed to know. As for the cristal, that was sort of a joke, Dom is much better IMHO, but less baller. On the watches, hatever I get them they will be engraved, so not just off the shelf stuff.

Ilkoolkeg, thanks for the tip, I'm going to London 3 times between now and the wedding, I'll check it out.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Make sure to rent a large enough vehicle to carry everyone, and to be absolutely sure the driver is sober the entire time and won't be bothered by drunken friends. Hire one if necessary.

And remember: your goal is not to have a good time, but that the groom enjoys himself and returns safe. It can get out of control quickly...

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Forget spending on the watches.

Buy matching Tags and a pair of matching Glock .40's.

That's investing in time and in the security of you and your future nieces and nephews.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
It's in Williamsburg, so there aren't very many places to avoid, heck there just aren't very many places period.

oooh, good luck with that one!

Only advice I can give you is..... don't do what I did! When I was my buddies best man, there were only three of us, him, a groomsman, and myself. we went to a NASTY strip club we didnt get into, and he ended up puking before we got back to the hotel room. It better have been nerves, he only had 2.5 drinks.

We got back to the room and started calling call girls, and some of the shadiest places picked up the phone. We ended up drinking a 12 pack and falling asleep with the TV on :banghead:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Ilkoolkeg, thanks for the tip, I'm going to London 3 times between now and the wedding, I'll check it out.
A well-tailored Bond Street suit is a timeless classic, appreciated for its understated elegance. They don't scream "look at meee"like some pimpsuits, but then again, the nicest stuff does't need to draw undue attention to itself. Again, let me stress the importance of quality foowear that will serve you at the wedding, in interviews AND with the ladies.

Here's a Saville Row Clothier of the finest order that you might drop in on for ideas if not a purchase==> http://www.sabatinioflondon.com/