Quantcast

Martin Back to Defend Beijing Crown

Oct 20, 2009
<p>There was no way Tony Martin (Team Omega Pharma - Quick Step) was going to miss defending his title at the Tour of Beijing.</p><p>
</p><p>
The two-time world time trial champion had such a good time last year in China that he put a star on his calendar when he was planning the 2012 season.</p><p>
</p><p>
"Last year was my first time in China and I had a great experience," Martin said Monday, a day ahead of the start of the race. "My experience in Beijing was wonderful and winning was a great way to end my season in 2011. When we discussed my racing calendar, we were already planning to come to China back in the spring. It's a great way to end the season."</p><p>
</p><p>
Martin headlines a solid roster lining up for the second edition of the five-day Tour of Beijing, the WorldTour event that brings the elite peloton into the heart of China.</p><p>
</p><p>
Other Specialized riders include Vuelta a España stage-winner Dario Cataldo (also of Team Omega Pharma-Quick Step), Ukraine national road and time trial champion Andriy Grivko, and Liege-Bastogne-Liege winner Maxim Iglinskiy (Astana), and Argentine sprinter Lucas Haedo (Saxo Bank-Tinkoff Bank).</p><p>
</p><p>
Martin lines up for the first time since winning his second world time trial title in Valkenburg two weeks ago. Unfortunately, he will not have a chance to show off his rainbow stripes. There is no individual time trial in this year's Beijing route.</p><p>
</p><p>
Instead, the route tackles some steeper climbs in the hills north and west of Beijing, the bustling Chinese capital.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I still want to do the best I can in the race," Martin said. "There are some hard climbs, but the mountains are not too hard for me. I will do everything to try to be as high as possible in the overall standings."</p><p>
</p><p>
The Beijing tour opens Tuesday with a circuit race from Tianenmen Square to the Olympic Village and continues Wednesday with a hiller course west of Beijing. Thursday's third stage at the Badaling section of the Great Wall, the same setting as the 2008 Olympic road race, could likely decide the overall winner. Friday's easy parcours could see a sprint finish while Saturday's finale features two hard climbs in the final 50km to keep things interesting to the end.</p><p>
</p><p>
For Martin, the Tour of Beijing puts an end to an up and down season that saw a string of injuries and accidents countered by a silver medal in the Olympic Games and the rainbow jersey in the time trial in Valkenburg.</p><p>
</p><p>
"This is a nice way to finish off the season. I had some bad luck, but also had some nice results as well," Martin said. "I would like to win here again, but I know it will be complicated. No matter what happens, I am glad I am back in China. I wanted to come here."</p><p>
</p><p>
Check out Tony Martin on <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tony-Martin/192337574174627" target="_blank">Facebook</a>.</p>

More...