Quantcast

Martinez back to MTB full time next year !!

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
quote from Velonews:

"...Martinez headed back to the trails
Miguel Martinez isn't enjoying the 55th Criterium Dauphine race. It's too hot, it's too hard and it's too fast - so much so that Martinez said he'll only race mountain bikes next year.

"I want to win the gold medal again, so next year I will focus on mountain biking," Martinez told VeloNews. "It's better for me to race mountain bikes next year. And it's more fun."

Martinez is among a half-dozen former mountain bikers who've looked to road racing for new challenges. Cadel Evans, Michael Rasmussen, Lennie Kristensen and Dario Cioni all have had success after crossing over.

Martinez' move to the road has been a little bumpier. He joined Mapei with Evans for the 2002 season and made a popular debut in the Tour, where he was active in a few breaks. Unlike Evans and the others, Martinez continues to keep his fingers in the mountain bike racing scene.

Since his Phonak team wasn't invited to the Tour, Martinez said he'll likely race some mountain bike events later this year. Then "Little Mig" will devote all his energies in 2004 toward repeating as Olympic gold medalist..."

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Hmmm, interesting. I always thought he'd make a great roadie but I guess his heart is with mountain biking.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I think his size keeps him from being a really strong road rider. He can specialize as a climber I would think, but the Spring classics, most World Cups and big tours with their TT's will leave him behind. As a small guy myself I know the difficulties of headwinds and downhills. I could always climb well at around 2 lbs per inch but I was a lousy time trialer and sprinter.

He does well at mountainbiking because climbing is so important. You always spend more time going up than down in an off road race.