Quantcast

Maryland Riding?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, it looks like I have to be at a shindig in Gaithersburg, MD, the first weekend of August. (Big family reunion type thing).
Anyhoo, what’s good?
Trailforks shows a bunch of stuff up in Frederick, anyone ridden up there?
Anyone wanna rally and get some riding in?
What’s the ‘best’ in MD?
(Willing to travel a bit for the goods, maybe up to an hour away?)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Right around the corner is this place, which I recall being a pedal-y set of swoopy buffed singletracks, fairly flat...fun, but nothing really remarkable.

The 'shed is always mentioned as the DH-y/freeride-y place in MD. Never been. Heard it's good to have a local guide there. There's some riding in northern VA, but nothing probably worth making it down if you're only in MD for a weekend, and my guess is there's more hidden up in MD than in NoVA. Charlottesville has good rides but is too far from MD.

Elizabeth Furnace out in the Blue Ridge is, I'm told, an epic techy east coast singletrack adventure.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Fountainhead Park in Fairfax County is pretty chunky, bike-specific trails. But hardly round the corner from Gaithersburg, and still up-and-down lowland VA terrain, not real mountains.

And I think there's still mo' better closer to you, so I'll shut up.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Fountainhead Park in Fairfax County is pretty chunky, bike-specific trails. But hardly round the corner from Gaithersburg, and still up-and-down lowland VA terrain, not real mountains.

I used to enjoy post work laps at Fountainhead years ago when working in Fairfax.

There was somewhere else in that region under powerlines, but the name currently escapes me...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ditch the family and head to Harrisonburg VA. Massanutten mountain and the George Washington National forest for proper chunk.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I used to enjoy post work laps at Fountainhead years ago when working in Fairfax.

There was somewhere else in that region under powerlines, but the name currently escapes me...
Wakefield/Accotink, perhaps? That's my local.

Right around the corner is this place, which I recall being a pedal-y set of swoopy buffed singletracks, fairly flat...fun, but nothing really remarkable.

The 'shed is always mentioned as the DH-y/freeride-y place in MD. Never been. Heard it's good to have a local guide there. There's some riding in northern VA, but nothing probably worth making it down if you're only in MD for a weekend, and my guess is there's more hidden up in MD than in NoVA. Charlottesville has good rides but is too far from MD.

Elizabeth Furnace out in the Blue Ridge is, I'm told, an epic techy east coast singletrack adventure.
Yup, there's chunks, rocks, and roots at Elizabeth Furnace...

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
I've ridden there, was fun!

TITCR -- didn't JBP just swing by with a write up on his trip south?

I used to ride there back in the mid-90s, lots of short punchy climbs up and down drainages.

Should be able to find a bike somewhere close-ish -- i don't know much about either shop but they're close:

I'd avoid (F)red-neck but it's been a while since I've been out those parts.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

there are woods in fairfax county....must be hiding...i never remember seeing any in the 11 years i lived in the area....

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Thanks for the tip on that shop, they have one of the bikes I really enjoyed, worth a little drive to not be on a Stumpjumper. Still focusing on riding in Frederick\Gambrill if anyone wants to join. It looks good.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Thanks for the tip on that shop, they have one of the bikes I really enjoyed, worth a little drive to not be on a Stumpjumper. Still focusing on riding in Frederick\Gambrill if anyone wants to join. It looks good.
Dude. I live in Ellicott City. I lead group rides 3x a week in Patapsco and Frederick. I also work part time at the Race Pace Bikes mentioned above. We have a full range of Santa Cruz, Scott, Trek, GT, and Cannondale rigs to demo. Just hit me up when things get closer and we will show you the goods.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Yes, assuming my recovery goes well, I hope to find the chunkiest, rooty, rocky EC goodness I can find.
Frederick is your ticket then. Although you need a guide, otherwise its easy to mix up the fun trails and the not so fun trails. Like I said though, I'm more than happy to ride wit you and show you around. Patapsco has its own fun stuff too if you know where to look.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
And this, my friends, is why RM is still relevant and awesome!
Thanks so much. Do you guys have any demos a little better than the rental bikes on the site?
Interested in a Hightower LT, but would be happy to pay a bit more for better components, suspension and wheels. I’m a bit spoiled.
Looking at the Gambrill stuff, it looks way easy to get skunked if you didn’t know your way around. Probably avoiding jumps and anything man made due to a new knee, but the chunk I love.

Ooh...do you have a medium Ransom?

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
And this, my friends, is why RM is still relevant and awesome!
Thanks so much. Do you guys have any demos a little better than the rental bikes on the site?
Interested in a Hightower LT, but would be happy to pay a bit more for better components, suspension and wheels. I’m a bit spoiled.
Looking at the Gambrill stuff, it looks way easy to get skunked if you didn’t know your way around. Probably avoiding jumps and anything man made due to a new knee, but the chunk I love.

Ooh...do you have a medium Ransom?
we differentiate between our "rentals" and our demos. demos are priced a little higher $75/day or $150/3 days (i can friends and family a week out of the 3 day rental if you need me to) and are structured that if you buy a full sus mtb you get your demo fee back towards the bike. they arent usually shown on the website because we rotate through them too often.

Most our demos are GX or X01 builds with carbon wheels if so desired (we have a couple sets of ENVEs kicking around and can pull a santa cruz set off another bike if need be).

By August we may have a Ransom in size medium (not sure if we have sold last years yet), but will definitely have a 2020 hightower (moar better than hightower lt), 2020 tallboy, Genius, GT Sensor, and Fuel EX 9.8 in a size medium. You are also welcome to ride my Revved GG Smash (size 2) if you want to one of the days.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
we differentiate between our "rentals" and our demos. demos are priced a little higher $75/day or $150/3 days (i can friends and family a week out of the 3 day rental if you need me to) and are structured that if you buy a full sus mtb you get your demo fee back towards the bike. they arent usually shown on the website because we rotate through them too often.

Most our demos are GX or X01 builds with carbon wheels if so desired (we have a couple sets of ENVEs kicking around and can pull a santa cruz set off another bike if need be).

By August we may have a Ransom in size medium (not sure if we have sold last years yet), but will definitely have a 2020 hightower (moar better than hightower lt), 2020 tallboy, Genius, GT Sensor, and Fuel EX 9.8 in a size medium. You are also welcome to ride my Revved GG Smash (size 2) if you want to one of the days.
Wow, this is even better than I expected. There might/will be some beer flowething your way if we can get this together. I *probably* will only have one day to ride, how do you feel about dawn patrol so I don’t get divorce papers served on the trip?

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
Wow, this is even better than I expected. There might/will be some beer flowething your way if we can get this together. I *probably* will only have one day to ride, how do you feel about dawn patrol so I don’t get divorce papers served on the trip?
the earlier the better, especially in friggin August.