Quantcast

Marz. 66 or Fox 36?

droplover

Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
Colorado
I currently have an '04 BigHit with a Jr. T with a serious spiking problem. Right now I'm averaging 10'-15' drops and need to get a better performing fork. I can't decide between the Marz. 66 or Fox 36. I know the Marz. has a little more travel, but those Fox forx are just soooo damn smooth! Would the Fox 36 stand up to 20footers? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I want to make a well educated/informed decision. Thanks!

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
i have a friend w/ a 66rc and its smooth as well...its a hot fork and feels real nice, not much bounce, but cushioning when u need it

fox is too expensive if u ask me...

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
:thumb: better ways to go for the money. i say do a trade in and get an 888. cheaper and much better fork.just my 2 cents

ohh and no a 36 wont handle 20 footers. they dont even come with 20 mm thru axels i dont think, and that is a much need improvement. :thumb:

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
frznnomad said:
:thumb: better ways to go for the money. i say do a trade in and get an 888. cheaper and much better fork.just my 2 cents

ohh and no a 36 wont handle 20 footers. they dont even come with 20 mm thru axels i dont think, and that is a much need improvement. :thumb:
its not a huck fork, agreed... but it does have 20mm axels. go with a dual crown for drops that big

droplover

Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
Colorado
frznnomad said:

I know the 888 is a great fork, but the last time I priced them, they were around $1100-$1200. If that is your idea of cheap, then I need to do what you do for a living......... :cool:

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
droplover said:
I know the 888 is a great fork, but the last time I priced them, they were around $1100-$1200. If that is your idea of cheap, then I need to do what you do for a living......... :cool:
both the 66 and 36 are around that price, so watch out.

droplover

Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
Colorado
If a dual crown fork would be better for big stuff, is there a cheaper alternative to the 888? How about a Boxxer(used)? Does manitou make a decent dual crown?

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
droplover said:
If a dual crown fork would be better for big stuff, is there a cheaper alternative to the 888? How about a Boxxer(used)? Does manitou make a decent dual crown?
i would look into the 888vf, or last years 888rc....manitou makes decent dual crowns, but they are new, and cost a ton. i wouldnt suggest a boxxer for hucking, its more race oriented.

btw whats you price range?

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Why not get a used Monster T? Sounds like that would fit your needs exactly. But whichever, I think that of all the major fork brands that Marzocchi's are the most progressive and best for big hits. I've owned a Boxxer, XVert and a Shiver along with a handful of other forks and Marz is the best for the big stuff. Fox and Manitou forks tend to be much more linear. They will reward a smooth rider (racer) but punish someone like you. Boxxers are in the middle. I've heard/witnessed a handful of horror storries about the Fox 40 and their CS. Issues with the lowers cracking and internals exploding and Fox pretty much leaving the users (2 top-ten pros that I know in my case) high-and-dry. If you don't want a Monster, I would say go for a Super T or Shiver.

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
FOX customer service kicks as$. No one that I know has ever had any problem with them. As far as the 36 goes, it rules for freeride. I hit large drops and gaps with it all the time. Can't go wrong with the 36.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
marzocchi does a trade in you do know that right. thats what im doing with my super t to get an 888. it will be the same if not cheaper than the 36 and the 66, and it will be much better for hucks that big. when you start going that big you need to stay away from single crowns. just not sturdy enough to handle all of that force and all of the preasure is on the headtube instead of being spread out accross the crowns.

okay dirtjumper i wasnt quite sure if it came with the 20 mm thru axel or not silly me :rolleyes:

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Got to agree on the DC, if you are going that big it makes a lot more sense to get a good DC fork...888's can be had for 700 brand new online.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
you can upgrade your jrt to a supert really easy, just replace the right cartridge in the fork. dual crown would be best, skip the monster and get a 888 if you want a different fork, used is a good option.

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
dirtjumpP.1 said:
both the 66 and 36 are around that price, so watch out.

not the 66, u can get them fro $700 easy and prob cheaper

if ur really on a budget and hucking, get a kingpin!

before anyone gives me crap listen, there solid, smooth, strong and dont have any problems once you replace the seals (which manitou will do if you simply call em up, theyll send u new seals) and best of all there CHEAP AS HELL! 270 jenson usa, i wouldve got one if i hadnt gotten the flick (from jenson as well), 170mm is just too much for the P.2

but if u have the cash i suggest the 888 as well

droplover

Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
Colorado
formermtboarder said:

before anyone gives me crap listen, there solid, smooth, strong and dont have any problems once you replace the seals (which manitou will do if you simply call em up, theyll send u new seals) and best of all there CHEAP AS HELL! 270 jenson usa, i wouldve got one if i hadnt gotten the flick (from jenson as well), 170mm is just too much for the P.2

Is the kingpin a dual crown fork?

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
droplover said:
Is the kingpin a dual crown fork?
its doesnt matter, ive seen so many of these forks with snapped stanctions. it cant handle what you want to do, no matter what your budget is like.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
yeh im with dirjumper on this one. ive seen cracked stanchions from a parking lot test. im telling you trade in with marzocchi man and get the 888. you dont have to get the rc2x you can get the model down and be fine. trust me if your going to 20 ft you will want the dual.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
formermtboarder said:

Jenson has the 66 selling for $549 as well...pretty good price. I've seen them selling for $500 on ebay brand new too...Pretty great price for a sweet fork. To see the $549 for Jenson, hit the market price button and it will show you the dealio..They used to have the 888's for like $700-750~but looks like the raised the prices back up to $809.

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
The 66's are nice, and the 36's are really nice. The 36's are EXPENSIVE, and it's hard for me to justify a single-crown fork of that price that is just going to get the piss beaten out of it. The 36 also doesn't have the adjusments that the 66 does with a coil spring, if I'm not mistaken. Either way you go, both forks are top-notch single-crowns, and you should be happy with either one. I ride a Manitou Sherman Breakout Plus SPV, and it's the best fork I've ever owned. Look into those as well, they are easily just as plush and smooth as both the 36 and the 66, and they are lighter as well.

gonzostrike

Monkey
May 21, 2002
Montana
I just swapped a 36 VAN RC2 onto my 6-Pack, removing the '05 Sherman Firefly Plus (SPV Evolve, 150mm travel) that was on it.

I also have a 888 RC on my big bike, so I know generally what the 66 RC feels like.

I would say that the 36 VAN is a better fork if you're not shuttling, because its damping system results in less monkey motion up/down/up/down while climbing, when compared to the 66/888.

if you're going to do mostly shuttle/lift-served, or don't care about wasting your climbing energy making the fork plunge down and spring back up repeatedly, get the 66.

the travel feels equally progressive when comparing 36 VAN to 888/66.

both the Marz and the Fox are superior to the Manitou in every aspect.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
okay im going to tell you this one last time okay man. because obviously you havent read my post. you can take your jr t that you have right now send it to marzocchi and tell them that you want an 888. they will give you the discounted (extremely low) price that is probably cheaper than what the dealers pay price. you send them the money and the jr.t and then they send you the brand new 888.

downhill66

Monkey
Aug 23, 2005
doing somthing....
formermtboarder said:

King pins will start sticking if u get alot of water on them. just like my old Stance Flow. thats what one of the guys i rode with at snowshoe sait and he had one. but i would go with the 888 or the Shiver dc if u can find one. but defintly Dc for those drops

kail

Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
Montana
If you're really doing a lot of 15-20' drops, chances are you'll need a dual crown fork. Chances are, and this is based on many observations of people exaggerating the size of drops, you're not doing 15-20' drops. Drops of that size are huge, and if you actually measure one to be that size, it looks pretty huge as well. Most people would say a 10 footer is a 15 when looking off the top. Anyway, maybe you actually are doing that size of stuff. I've been considering going from a 01 Monster T to a 66RC. I've become much more of a finesse rider, and I just don't need the extra beef of a Monster. I occasionally do pretty big stuff -15-20 foot drops (measured), but only when there's a perfect landing, and there's usually a gap to clear.(road gaps, step downs, etc.) All the biggest stuff I've done could have been done on a hardtail with a single crown 5" fork. (barely used any travel.) But, like I've said, I only do it when the conditions are perfect. If you're that selective on what you jump or drop, I think the 36 or the 66 would be great forks. If you're more the type that has to drop off everything in sight, definitely go for a dual crown. I'd go for a 888, or older Monster T, but definitely not an 03 or newer Monster, because they are way too heavy.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
For hucking you definitely want a Marzocchi and I would suggest a Monster T. They are bombproof, very progressive and absolutely will not let you down! They are also very easy to maintain. You can pick one up for around $300.00 in the classified ads on here or mtbr. or you can go the Ebay route.
I've had many Mazocchi forks and have been happy with all of them. I currently have a 888RC and it is an awesome fork and I sure it would hold up to big hucks but I do feel it is more delicate than the old Monster T's. For hucking I'd pick up a 2002 or older Monster. I'm too old for the big hucks now so the 888 serves me well for my needs.