Quantcast

Marz RS or Manitou?

May 23, 2007
Stamford, CT
So Im building up a hardtail with my girlfriend and we're looking for some feedback on three forks. I'm sure there have been plenty of reviews on these but I just want some honest feedback.

She's looking for a 100mm fork, 5-6 lbs, capable of being plush and firm. She is primarily going to use it on city streets, but would like to take it on trails, and would most likely join me at the skatepark.

She likes the 08 Dirt jumper 1. I have a Z1SL and like it, but feel its not as plush as i would like it. Not sure if the same applies to the 08 Dirt Jumper. I'm assuming that since its half air - half coil, you can just ramp up the air pressure for firmness and take out air for softness. not sure...

I'm leaning towards the 08 RS argyle 318 after riding a Domain 318 and loving the sudden change of plushness with a twist of the compression nob. I'm assuming it will work the same. Plus it looks badass.

The Manitou? I dunno a friend suggested it. He likes his Gold Label. But im not sure on the firmness/plushness of the fork.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated. I would like to buy one of these forks while they're on sale and before they're sold out lol

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Well, the MZ and the Gold Label are too DJ-oriented, IMHO. She'll get more juice out of the Argyle, since it features compression adjustments. However, mind her weight! All of those forks you've mentioned are oriented for 150-170 lb guys, so they're gonna be kinda ahrd to compress for a girl.

If she wants a plush ride under any condition, go for an air sprung fork. You shouldn't ride on trails with a DJ fork, sinde it will be too stiff and hard to compress. I'm thinking something like the all-new Revelation 2009 with Maxle Lite (if you want a 20mm axle), or another RS forks (the Revelation or the Recon, if you want a 9mm axle). Besides, air gives you the ability to stiffen the fork when needed. A Pike U-Turn Air would make a great choice too.

I'm talking about RS forks here mainly, because they're the ones I've ridden the most. I've tried a Gold Label, and its rebound control was er... inexistent. And the MZs DJ forks aren't the most sensitive out there...

Let us know what you've come down to!

May 23, 2007
Stamford, CT
i personally dont like air forks. I have a 36 talas on my hard tail, the Z1SL is air as well. They just aren't as sensitive as coil forks are when they are broken in. I haven't considered Fox, only because of the price... but she is a light weight.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here