Quantcast

Marzacchi Forks

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Ok, I gotta ask...........I'm getting a 2000 Marzacchi Atom Bomb, from a member on ths board.

I also just won a bid for a new 2001 Marzacchi Z.5 100 air.

Ok, here is the question:

What the heck is the difference between the two?

Can ya help a brother out?

Thanks

madbiker

Chimp
Jul 6, 2001
Nor Cal
First of all, FYI it's MARZOCCHI. Anyways, one is the 2k model, the other is 2k1. Also, tell me more about the 2k model, i.e. model number (z.1, z.2 etc.) Tell me that i might be able to help. The lower the number, the better the fork. Is the 2k a coil or air fork?

-Peace

R

RideMonkey

Well if the model is Atom Bomb, then its a Z2. The Atom Bomb will have 80 mm travel. It has coil springs. It will be more reliable and require less maintenace.

Question is: do you really want the 100mm of travel?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Originally posted by ridemonkey

Question is: do you really want the 100mm of travel?
Ok, ya now lost me on the 100mm, thats the Z5. If I set the sag, and then set the fork relativly stiff, would it not be more plush?

The less maintenance caught my attention though.........Is there Detailed diagrams of the internals of both?

It's an engineering thing, and an educational thing as well...

Thanks for all the help!!!!

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
The 100mm travel fork can be set to be very plush. That's the thing with air. Its infinitely adjustable. As for the maitenance, that's for your bike tech to worry about. When rebuilding an air fork its a little more expensive and requires more attention to detail but its nothing you as a rider should worry about unless you're going to do the work yourself. I'd go 100 air. You will not regret it. (and you'll save a lot of weight.)

Jul 1, 2001
Humboldt Nation
The Taco Dude... But my opinion is biased. I have had in the past and am in the process of putting a Z2 Atom Bomb on one of my bikes. The first one I put it on was stolen but it was the best upgrade I ever did for that bike. The next is going on a '88 vintage 'Dale and it will be replacing the cruddy little, poor excuse for a shock fork, Rock Shlox Judy XC (which I will never drop another dime on again in life and will unceremoniously toss into the garbage).

P.S. The Z5 is on the lowest end of the spectrum for the 'Zokes but in my opinion still a step up from ANY Rock Shlox product. Also, Marzocchi has a great website with downloadable PDF instruction manuals. Here's the URL http://www.marzocchi.com/

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
I likey my zochhi!
I just picked it up on ebay about a month ago, a '99 Z.2 BAM for $140!!! As far as I'm concerned I practically stole it!

I don't know a whole heck of a lot about forks, but the change in ride going from Judy XC to the BAM was unbelieveable.
Worth the money. Worth the bidding wars I went through to finally get this one!