Quantcast

marzo dirtjumpers yes or no?

are dirtjumpers good for freeriding

• yes

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • hell no

Votes: 15 75.0%

• Total voters
Ok so I sorta wanna get a new fork but im not quite sure on what to get I was looking at the dirtjumpers but i heard they bend and ****? any ways I weigh about 155 I would use it mostly for urban and trail riding but if I get this fork I don't want to have to avoid freeriding so are they really crap forks?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
DROP said:
ya i was looking at the maitou stance line but the thing is i don't wana spend a hole load of money and basically i would just look on ebay and see what comes up but since theres so many dirtjumpers I wanted to know if i should buy them or not?

Dirt jumpers are plenty strong......just reallllly heavy.......Good for the price

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
DROP said:
ya i was looking at the maitou stance line but the thing is i don't wana spend a hole load of money and basically i would just look on ebay and see what comes up but since theres so many dirtjumpers I wanted to know if i should buy them or not?
your sig leads me to believe you have made up your mind and got a manapoo

vtrider

Monkey
Apr 11, 2005
vermont
well, theyre plenty stong. i have a freind who takes 15' hucks, urban, stunts, trail, dh, pretty much everything on a dj2. heavy. He hasnt done anything to the fork yet, so i guess its pretty burly. if its an 03 watch out for the crown cracking, you can get em warrenteed for free, but they always crack inside the lower crown.
besides those two things, ive heard nothing but good things about them.

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
I ride a 888RC and a DJ1 (big bike and hardtail, respectively) and the DJ1 isn't bad. I can ride it on trails but i only run a rear brake, so i use it for street. i have no worries about this thing. the steerer is thick thick thick and the stanctions are cromoly. don't get me wrong, this thing is a pig, but i never notice it.

ya sorry about the sig i was just about to get the stance flow and then and then i went riding on some differnt forks and can't make up my mind right now im actually looking at a 2001 z.1 mcr. its a freeride fork and most old marzcchi forks are really strong what do uthink?

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Charlottesville, Virginia
Stance forks are very weak and poor performers. The 04 Dj forks are heavy, but they work flawlessly and the wont give up. Get a DJ1. Fox forks are not designed for serious jumping or hucking. Get a DJ1.

Ive owned a stance, a flick, a 03 dj3 and now a 04 dj1.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
The 03 forks were the first year that all the forks had the fender holes under the crown. These holes were surrounded by a sharp edge, because it came to a point there it would cause a crack after a few months of riding. Im sure you know that once a crack starts it will continue to progress even if it started off something insignificant like the fender hole. The 04+ forks have a squared off edge there so it is no longer a problem. The 04 jumper will have the strongest steerer, crown, lowers internals, stantions, etc of any street/dj fork available. Also you can get brand new 04 dj1s off ebay from a ebay retailer for around 245+shiping. There is no reason to get a stance, they are pure garbage, do a search on nsmb and youll see what i mean.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Get anything made by Marzocchi. They work forever. I have an '02 Z1 and all I ever have to do is add oil occasionally. Not only that, but they're CHEAP!

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
Stance forks are horrible. If you want a lower travel fork for more street/dj oriented i'd say a DJ. The weight is not much higher then my stance fork which is already heavy.

I am 155 lbs and have ridden my stance fork not to much and landed a jump cleanly and it made a loud snap noise. Now its hard to compress sometimes and makes a nasty click noise ever since.

Try looking at a marz Z1 or something of that sort for some more travel if u are putting it on a more FR oritened bike but the DJ forks are beef as hell and a great choice.

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
I'd steer clear of the stance lineup...and i also snapped a flick in half...i'd go with a marzocchi or fox...i still have a z.2 and z.3 from 2001 that are designed for xc and have outlasted every other fork i've ever owned!

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
since you said freeriding and dj'ing get a manitou nixon. it is more freerideable than the dj's. but yes the dj forks are very plush.

Mtnrider

Monkey
Jul 1, 2001
Littleton, CO
DROP said:
well thanx for the support I really want to get a z1 but just incase i go down the path of the dj please answer my question. i really need to know
I have a perfect 04 DJ1 that I'll sell to you cheap. The fork is very tuff and heavy, as far as being plush it's not at all, terrible for trail riding but good for DJ and street. I replaced it with a Pike and it's a way better fork.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58085&item=7151411972&rd=1

04 dj1 brand new, buy it now $259

i bought my dj1 from this guy and it was a smooth sale.

I assume youve tried a marzocchi fork equiped with SSV dampening at some point. If you have then you know what the travel in a dj fork will feel like. Will it be great for trails? No. But it wont be awful either. It wont break. It wont suck. And its cheap. It's by far the most durable fork for this type of riding, everyone judges the 04 dj's by the one flaw (which i mentioned above) in the 2003 forks. These forks arent gonna break. Just buy the one from the link i posted and stop asking questionas about it.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
The DJ's arent meant to be plush. They are meant to be stiff for street and djing which is how you want your fork for that. Nixons are a trail fork they arent meant for freeriding i dont think.

Mattoid

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
Nixons are not what you want.

A) they are not cheap
B) they are not burly (uses same lowers as the pos stance forks), lightweight parts throguhout

If you need something for serious freeride and street/dj look at a pike, adjustable travel, lotsa external adjustments and from the mail order places they are under $400.

Mtnrider

Monkey
Jul 1, 2001
Littleton, CO
Mattoid said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58085&item=7151411972&rd=1

04 dj1 brand new, buy it now $259

i bought my dj1 from this guy and it was a smooth sale.

I assume youve tried a marzocchi fork equiped with SSV dampening at some point. If you have then you know what the travel in a dj fork will feel like. Will it be great for trails? No. But it wont be awful either. It wont break. It wont suck. And its cheap. It's by far the most durable fork for this type of riding, everyone judges the 04 dj's by the one flaw (which i mentioned above) in the 2003 forks. These forks arent gonna break. Just buy the one from the link i posted and stop asking questionas about it.
I'll sell my 04 DJ1 that's in perfect condition and only used for about 3 months for half of that.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
bballe336 said:
since you said freeriding and dj'ing get a manitou nixon. it is more freerideable than the dj's. but yes the dj forks are very plush.
I need a good laugh now and then.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
OK...
The 05' DJ has SSVF..speed sensitive valve floating. I doubt you will feel a difference between the two. The 05' is supposed to be lighter than the 04'. The DJ will not be incredibly plush...but will be fine for the trail. Your wrists will not suddenly snap off because you rode a Dirt Jumper over some rocks...I say get one. I rocked an 03' and loved it. It did crack..but got a replacement with no hassle.